cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract nearly up, will Sprint unlock to use on Virgin Mobile?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Contract nearly up, will Sprint unlock to use on Virgin Mobile?

Greetings,

I have an iPhone 4S that I love dearly.  My contract will be up in December of this year at whichtime I plan to purchase the iPhone 5S.  I would like to give my iPhone 4S to my 13 year old daughter.  She currently has an Android phone through Virgin Mobile and a Google Voice phone number (so switching numbers is not an issue).  I would like to give her my beloved 4S, but don't want to be in a 2 year contract  when a 13 year old is prone to dropping stuff. 

WIll Sprint unlock my phone at the end of my contract for use on Virgin Mobile, and if so, what steps do I need to take to make that happen?  Keeping my current 4S, which is in perfect condition will be much cheaper than buying her the 4S directly through Virgin Mobile.  Either way, she gets an iPhone.

thank you so much for your replies!

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Re: Contract nearly up, will Sprint unlock to use on Virgin Mobile?

ALso, I contacted Virgin Mobile to find out if it would require a new SIM card and how I would go aboutswitching my 4S from Sprint to Virgin.  The customer service rep was completely baffled by my question, placed me on hold for several minutes and continually repeated that it would have to be a Virgin Mobile iPhone.  Is this true?

Journeyman

SOrry to bang on about this, but I'm curious as to why the Virgin Mobile rep seemed so absolutely confused considering this article.  Is this article true?  Sprint phones are now welcome on Boost and Virgin Mobile

Journeyman

Boost Mobile only allows certain Sprint phones to be used with its BYOD program, and I do not believe any of them are smartphones. They are listed on their website at http://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/#!/activate-sprint-phone

Wizard

ChristiJ,

Thanks for posting. I understand that you're waiting information as you're considering unlocking your iPhone to use on a Virgin Mobile account. At this time, we're currently offering the option to unlock devices however, it's for international use only. As for the service you were provided by the Virgin Mobile representative, I sincerely apologize.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

That is unfortunate.  It is because of Sprint's refusal to unlock the phone that i own free and clear that I believe it is in my family's best interest to switch to a provider that listens to what their customers want.  I will not recycle this phone because it could fall into the hands of someone who would then be forced to have Sprint as their provider.  I intend to make sure Sprint sees no more money from this device.  I will end my daughters Virgin Mobile service and will switch her instead to a prepaid service from another provider.  Now, instead of two of our devices, Sprint will have none.

Journeyman

Sprint also flatly refused to fully carrier unlock my iPhone 4S. So, I made this website telling our story and exposing Sprint's lies and I am encouraging everyone to share it far and wide on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and other social media.

http://sprint-sucks.tumblr.com/

Sprint's own Standardized Wireless Service Checklist plainly states "Sprint will provide the 'Master Subsidy Lock' upon request once the contract has been completed and the customer is in good standing either active or inactive with Sprint." My service agreement contract never contradicts nor clarifies this policy in regards to iPhones.

Apparently, they think that the little-known fact that MSLs aren't applicable to the iPhone allows them to violate the spirit of this advertised service for their iPhone customers. I am thinking that a judge would disagree and say that such language would lead a reasonable consumer to assume that Sprint will unlock an iPhone once out of contract, but I guess we will see about that.

It is clear that that the court of public opinion will likely judge them harshly regardless of what a small claims judge may rule, so let everyone you know know. I wrote it up and collected the evidence so that you don't have to spend the time!

Journeyman

Well there is always a class action lawsuit.  It seems that there are many current and former Sprint customers.  I'll run it by the Top Class Action Lawsuits website.

Can you imagine buying a car, making 5 years worth of payments, wanting to switch out the engine, or the seats, or add an aftermarket blower, and being told that the original manufacturer of the car is taking action preventing you from doing so?

WHat I own, Sprint cannot control.  Once my contract is over, I can use the damn phone to scoop kitty litter if I choose to do so.

Patron

While I don't agree with flat-out shamming companies, I COMPLETELY understand your anger.

Read my post about Sprint's own Master Subsidy Unlock verbiage here. I hope asking will get me somewhere... but seeing as how i'm reading from others... it may not be so easy. But i'm young and determined

Patron

Kitty litter made me laugh. There is... an app for that

Journeyman

I too have an iphone5 that I purchased directly from Apple for use on Sprint. Now I want to buy a new Sprint iphone5s, and I know someone who wants to buy my old iphone5, but he needs it to be unlocked by Sprint to work with his carrier.

Incredibly, Sprint REFUSED to unlock the phone even though I OWN IT. I am told that Sprint is the ONLY carrier who will not unlock phones.

Sprint, are you listening? I've been a customer for over 10 years. I stuck with you when everything about you sucked, and you were losing customers in droves. Thanks for repaying my loyalty!  All you spend on marketing to retain customers is totally wasted when you piss-off customers with ancient and obsolete policies.

I will file a formal complaint with the FCC and FTC and cancel my Sprint service and open a contract with another carrier.

I hope the FCC orders you to change your unethical, deceptive and misleading business practices.

Master

mikeeichorst,

Thanks for posting. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this matter may be causing you. We appreciate your 10 year tenure and definitely do not want to lose your business. As for unlocking your device, please review our policy here; http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html. If you meet the referenced criteria, we'll gladly unlock your device.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat