cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got iPhone 4S? How's the wifi?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got iPhone 4S? How's the wifi?

My only hesitation in getting the iPhone is that it's 3G and my experience with Sprint's 3G network is that it's like dial-up. I want to use my phone for a mobile hotspot and am very concerned that the iPhone on Sprint will make my speeds too slow. The EVO might be better.

I know people with other carriers who say the iPhone has very fast internet despite the 3G label (which is isn't well-defined, anyway) but I think the true test is how fast the internet is for other Sprint users.

Once those of you who pre-ordered get your iPhones, can you let the rest of us know how the internet speed is and how well they're working as mobile hotspots? THANK YOU! 🙂

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Journeyman

Will do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The wifi is garbage!! It skipps continually on youtube!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The issue with the wifi test is its kinda subjective to the wifi network you are testing it on. I used a speed test tool on the 4s both on my home wifi and my work wifi. My home network tested far faster than my work network did, but then again, I have less devices on my network at home versus the wifi here that every guest can connect to. So far it seems just as fast as my ipad2 though

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the initial feedback. I'm also following this thread, which is called "iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful":

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?tstart=0

I'm hoping within the next week or so, Sprint will adjust to the influx of new iPhone users and speeds will pick up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did a speed test on my Iphone 4S and it says I have about 11mb connection with my wifi but it keeps buffering multiple times while in youtube.... Anybody know what the deal is???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't know. I don't have any issues with YouTube app on my ipad2 or my 4s

Highlighted
Journeyman

I upgraded from the EVO.  The EVO sucked on wifi.  Ever since the last software push, my wifi was useless.  iPhone worked right out of the box and I haven't had an issue since.  I've connected it to numerous hotspots with no issue. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought your question was how is the WiFi and not 3G? 😃

Highlighted
Journeyman

The 10/15/11 WIFI speedtest is from my Home and the 10/17/11 WIFI speed test if from my Work.

3G service in Chicago and in general is very slow for me also, but while on a trip to Greenbay, WI this weekend my iPhone4S connected on an "extended" service that worked whereas my HTC Evo tried to triangulate and made no service connection at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here are my speediest.net test numbers

Work wifi: ping 75 ms. Download .83 Mbps. Upload .33 Mbps

Home wifi: ping 91ms. Download 15.64 Mbps. Upload 3.89 Mbps

And for kicks, sprints San Diego 3G numbers

Ping 248 ms. Download .31 Mbps. Upload .42 Mbps

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wifi works great specially using an N router but 3G is really slow.

I posted this this threst:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=195&tstart=0

Hello guys.

I have  been  following this forum closely hoping to find the solution to this  issue  however; as you all already know the problem is still happening.

I believe I know how we can resolve this issue but we need to stick together and work together

I   called sprint to report this problem since I had tried my EVO right   before I activated my iphone to compare the speed. EVO was fast enough   but when I tried the iPhone I was really sad to see how slow it was. I   called Sprint today and a tech called Joe caused me to get really upset   after he told me that, if I wanted to use my iPhone to surf the web I   needed to use wifi only and not the 3g network. Because the EVO and   iPhone were different devices (no kidding) I demanded to speak to his   supervisor since I knew that what he said was a total lie. Instead he   sent me to a different representative.

The second representative   was really nice and honest. She told me that this was most likely  caused  by so many activations but that she will be creating a "Network  ticket"  and escalate. She escalated the call to her supervisor who said  that  there were only some users reporting this issue and that for it  to get  escalated further or get resolved faster more users will have to  call  and report. If you are like me just hoping to see an answer or  some  troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue here, this is not  going to  happen. WE NEED TO CALL SPRINT !!!!!
Make sure you ask for  the  supervisor the 1 level techs will only give you the run around and  will  give you excuses instead of escalated and pay attention to you.  The more  people that call the faster the issue will get resolved.

I  sked the representative to let the community know that they were aware  of the issue and that they were working on it since they have not done  so and, we did not know if they were just ignoring us. They said they  will try to do something about that as well

============================================================

Christian Social Network;

http://m1820.com

============================================================

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat