cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?

SOLVED
Journeyman

Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?

Why do I have to pay to enable and use the Hotspot feature on my iPhone 4S if I am already paying for Unlimited data?  The Hotspot ability is a hardware feature of the device (like the GPS, the music player, or Siri) so charging to activate and use it seems very odd to me.  I'm already paying for unlimited everything, so why sould it matter if I use the data directly on the device or run it through the device to another?

30 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?

Because that's how almost everyone else does it. And see below.

So what; it's odd.

Because a hotspot allows the user the opportunity to consume more data than a smartphone alone would typically consume.  That is to say, all data cost money.  A person who uses less free data costs Sprint less than a person who consumes more free data.

Journeyman

The really funny thing is that when I was with my previous provider, with an android based phone I had the ability to datashare and there was no charge.

Master

Hello.  For Sprint smart phones, we offer unlimited data.  No other carrier does at this time.  We want our Sprint smart phone customers to use as much data as they want for their phones.  However, to "share" your connection with other device(s) and other people that do not have a Sprint smart phone data plan, there's an additional fee and a cap.

We apologize for the confusion,

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Journeyman

Then what about the USB tethering option?  The "other" device is still mine and I'm not allowing access to anyone else, and the amount of data coming through is still limited by the phone.

Master

I apologize for the frustration but your computer is still another device regardless of whether or not it belongs to you.  

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Wizard

AFAIK, tethering, involving a USB connection from smartphone to a PC, isn't even allowed on Sprint.  And your iPhone can't tether anyway. EDIT: Oops I suppose iPhone could, but not on Sprint.

Message was edited by: seeblue1

Journeyman

So, to put it another way.  I can have as many cookies as I want, as long as I only use the plate you give me and I don't give the cookies to anyone else.

I acknowledge the answer but do not understand it.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In reality, it's just another way for Sprint to make money.  They offer the unlimited data plan for $10 per month, which beats Verizon and AT&T to death.  But... they make up for it in other ways, and this is one of those ways. 

That being said, if you, the customer, are paying for unlimited data over a wireless handset connection, what difference should it be to Sprint which device you're accessing that data on?  If you had 5 or 8 devices or whatever the theoretical limit is connecting through the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone, you might be able to squeeze a tiny bit higher data rate out of the connection, but it isn't likely.  They all have to share the bandwidth of the phone itself over the 3g (or now 4g with the iphone 5) connection.  And as you know, if you've ever tried to browse over a 3g connection, there simply isn't very much bandwidth there to share.

So with all due respect, Tom Deaver's response above is pure unadulterated poppycock.

Journeyman

Preach it brother!

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.