cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found a workaround

Highlighted
Journeyman

I found a workaround

Hey everybody you know how Sprint refuses to unlock iPhone 4S  will there seems to be a simple workaround I found when i wanted to use StraightTalk on my iPhone 4s from Sprint.  Everyone knows what a runaround that Sprint gives you,  I have asked for the last four months for them to unlock  my phone and all I got was "no no no" along with the reply that it "sprint phones do not work with other carriers".. Thats a lot of BS.  All you do is order a straight talk and register a CDMA phone like the iPhone 4s and they unlock it for you for $14  iSure it won't work on any other carrier but straight talk seems to make it work and for $45 month one half of what I was paying.  Not to mention data speeds of 10 GB not 1 GB like Sprints high-speed. Straight talk is well worth it.  They use AT&T's and T-Mobile and I think Verizon for the iPhone.  It's almost worth breaking your contract with your new iPhone take it to straight talk. 

On another note Sprint told us over and over again that they could not unlock the phone for any other carrier well one of my phones was stolen that I had from Sprint, and has been activated on straight talk.  I also called sprint and asked them to Brick it because so no one could use it, I still own it, and it still my phone.  They said they would but i see the thief in passing using it.   I guess that's one of Sprint's little innocent lies once again.  You think sprint would not be driving there company into the iceberg.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: I found a workaround

Is this really an unlock or are you just using your Sprint iPhone 4S on a Sprint MVNO (mobile virtual network operator which uses Sprint's towers)? Sprint did finally allow for any Sprint iPhone 4S which is out of contract to be used on most of their MVNOs.

Example: I have a iPhone 4S that Sprint refuses to fully unlock. I was able to take my out of contract phone to Ting which is a Sprint MVNO. I'm no longer paying money to Sprint (I'm paying Ting) but Ting operates using Sprints network (just like VirginMobile USA and Boost do (and Ting pays Sprint to use their network)). My phone is still not unlocked to be used on any domestic GSM network however, thus I'm still stuck indirectly on Sprint towers.

Looking at StraightTalk they appear to be an MVNO with deals with all the major carriers in place (keep your phone, keep your network), you just don't pay the major carrier, you pay StraightTalk (who then pays the carriers). What I'm wondering is if you've left Sprint for StraightTalk but are still using Sprint's towers just like I am on Ting (i.e. not a true full unlock). Let me know if it is a full unlock though as I might switch just to fully unlock my phone.

For those that want to stop paying Sprint directly (and move to an indirect payment via an MVNO) Ting is an awesome mobile company with awesome policies. Find them at ting.com. Biggest strike against them as that they operate on Sprint's network. Sprint has disgusted me to the point that I don't want another dollar of my money going to them either directly or indirectly.

Journeyman

1. Great question I guess just happy to have my phone working for $45 a month and not paying sprint I bet at this point you could put a SIM card in and it probably move to that provider I know mine will work on tmobile as well good luck.
Journeyman

How has the Straight Talk service been with your Sprint iPhone? I upgraded to an iPhone 6 and have a 5s that a friend wants to buy to use on straight talk, if it will work well. .

Info on Sorint unlocking is covered at http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

The part about iPhones does not seem accurate as I have used mybiphone 5 and 5s on GSM networks overseas after several times using local SIMs. Every iPhone since the 5 has had both CDMA and GSM capability, as you can read on the Apple Store iPhone specs page.

Wizard

CDMA iPhones (Sprint, Verizon) are GSM locked for domestic service.  Sprint will unlock them (you call and jump through a few hoops) for international GSM use after you meet a few criteria. As of now, they WILL NOT unlock any device for domestic GSM use.

As another poster noted, they are allowing some Sprint MVNO’s (Sprint network resellers) to activate select Sprint devices.  The DUMBEST thing Sprint is doing, is they won’t let anyone activate a “free and clear” Sprint CDMA device on any Sprint subsidiary (e.g., Virgin or Boost Mobile) or even on Sprint Prepaid!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat