Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchased an Iphone 4 on Ebay. Is there any way I would be able to unlock it?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just purchased an Iphone 4 on Ebay. Is there any way I would be able to unlock it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint should work with virgin mobile though right? I know that they bounce off of the same towers.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Wizard

ckl10

Thanks for stopping by for assistance. To unlock a device for international use, it must be active on your good-standing Sprint account for at least 90 days. Our international department will be more than happy to assist with this process, with a qualifying device and account. Thanks.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

But I don't have/ have ever had a sprint account. I don't know how that would work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

But I don't have/ have ever had a sprint account. I don't know how that would work.

Highlighted
Wizard

ckl10

Thanks for sharing. To be clear, the phone purchased from eBay is a Sprint phone? If so, please feel free to open a new Sprint account at a local Sprint store. To find one near you, go to http://sprint.com/storelocator. Hope this helps.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes. I just purchased it off of ebay. It says it has a Clean ESN. Does that mean I can switch it to a different company (for example: Straigh talk)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes. I just purchased it off of ebay. It says it has a Clean ESN. Does that mean I can switch it to a different company (for example: Straigh talk)

Highlighted
Wizard

ckl10    

Generally, a Sprint phone will not work with another wireless carrier (and vice versa). This is due to the different technologies used by different carriers (ie CDMA versa GSM). To better assist with this inquiry, it is best to contact that service provider. Hope this helps.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint should work with virgin mobile though right? I know that they bounce off of the same towers.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Wizard

ckl10

Correct. Virgin Mobile uses CDMA technology. However, remember for Sprint to process any change on the device, the phone must be active on a good-standing Sprint account for at least 90 days.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does the phrase "Clean ESN" mean that it is unlocked?

Highlighted
Wizard

ckl10

The phrase "clean ESN" attributes the phone not being reported lost or stolen, at the time the check was done. This does not have to do with the lock/unlock status of the device.

Ruth E
Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat