Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 4s Domestic and International Unlock

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Iphone 4s Domestic and International Unlock

Can some customer service rep please explain a couple things:  Why can't I have my old iPhone 4s' unlocked?  Please explain how they are magically somehow different than other models?  Explain how when others jailbreak them they work fine on other networks?  Is it sorcery?  Explain why, when I am a current, long time customer, you would risk me leaving when my contract is complete because you won't unlock a couple old iPhones for me?  While you are at it maybe you could explain how it's legal to not unlock them?  I'm sure there are others here who would like to know the answers so let's don't private message let's just answer for all to see shall we?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Iphone 4s Domestic and International Unlock

Ebcjoel1,

Sprint phones have been programmed with a Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) that locks the phone’s operational parameters to only work on Sprint’s network. This lock prevents the phone from being activated on a different carrier’s network. For older model iPhones, such as your 4s the MSL is required in order to unlock the phone so it can be activated and reprogrammed to work on different carrier’s network. On iPhones 5s and newer (5s, 5c, 6 and 6+) we are able to perform a Domestic SIM Unlock which allows you to insert another carriers SIM card and activate on the other carrier’s network.

-AJ Sprint Social Care

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Wizard

Ebcjoel1,

There are certain requirements that must be met in order for your phone to be unlocked. Please view our unlocking policy here www.Sprint.com/unlock.   Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this.  

-AJ Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I meet all the requirements.  Are you, AJ, telling me that Sprint will completely unlock my iPhone 4s for domestic and international use?

Highlighted
Wizard

Ebcjoel1,

Yes if your phone meets all the requirements listed we will provide the MSL code for your iPhone 4s.

-AJ Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

AJ,

Enlighten us all here as to how an MSL does anything to unlock an iPhone?  You either know and aren't being helpful or you don't know, which is equally bad, that an MSL unlock doesn't absolutely nothing with an iPhone.  What I am looking for is a complete sim unlock for my out of contract, paid in full, customer in good standing iPhone 4s'. 

Highlighted
Wizard

Ebcjoel1,

Sprint phones have been programmed with a Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) that locks the phone’s operational parameters to only work on Sprint’s network. This lock prevents the phone from being activated on a different carrier’s network. For older model iPhones, such as your 4s the MSL is required in order to unlock the phone so it can be activated and reprogrammed to work on different carrier’s network. On iPhones 5s and newer (5s, 5c, 6 and 6+) we are able to perform a Domestic SIM Unlock which allows you to insert another carriers SIM card and activate on the other carrier’s network.

-AJ Sprint Social Care

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Once again, AJ, you are either misinformed, don't know, reading from a script or just not being honest but my 4s', both of them, have sim cards.  The MSL won't help one bit.  What I need is a domestic sim unlock.  And I only started this conversation a couple hours and it's had 61 views so I know it's a topic many, many sprint customers would love to get an answer to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi ebcjoel1, it says that this post has been solved but I don't see the real solution anywhere. Were you able to unlock it?

I just tried to unlock an old iPhone 4s that my brother-in-law gave me after my iPhone 5s died. After I tried activating my sim-card (tracfone) which didn't work, I contacted apple. They told me to contact Sprint. I called Saturday and they needed account and other personal info that I don't have access to. So they called my brother-in-law who provided all the necessary info. Then Sprint would send me an email with a code (only for international unlock though, absolutely ridiculous. Cause my brother-in-law finished the contract, always paid on time, etc and this is what we get).

Well the code in the email that I received today didn't work... I tried to resolve this with chat costumer service cause I don't want to ask my neighbor again to borrow her phone to make a phone call. Chat costumer service couldn't help me without all my brother-in-law's personal info. I just went through that whole process and had a supervisor talk to him!

I was never a Sprint costumer and will never be one.

Is there anybody outhere who can help me unlock? Thank you

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello lala7. Thanks for reaching out. We understand that you want to activate your bro-in laws device. It's important to remember that a device owner can use the MSL Code to attempt to reprogram certain operational parameters in the device software in order to attempt to enable CDMA functionality on another carrier's network. In other words, we will provide you with the MSL code then you will have the other carrier reprogram the device for you. Keep in mind that Unlocking a device simply means overriding operational parameters restricting the device to operating on Sprint's network.

Even if unlocked, either through an MSL unlock code or a DSU unlock, Sprint devices may not work on another

carrier's network. Whether an unlocked Sprint device can be used on another carrier's network is subject to that carrier's policies

and network compatibilities. Additionally, Sprint devices, which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's

network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings, may not be able to be reactivated on the Sprint network.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat