cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 4s from Verizon to Sprint

19 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Iphone 4s from Verizon to Sprint

RE:We want our customers to use devices that were manufactured specifically for our network

Then Sprint should not be advertising "bring your own phone"!

Journeyman

I just got off the phone with sprint for this same thing....the tech said it would take up to 7 days for the phone to be unlocked in the system. Made no sense to me but we will see!

Journeyman

I'm sorry. I find it hard to believe that there is anywhere on this earth where you can not get service on Verizon, so how is it you don't get service in your office?

Journeyman

iPhones are different that the others.  Their ESN is not hard coded into the phones.  They are not manufactured for a particular provider like most other phones.The ESN is on a SIM card and can be changed by Apple.  It can be used on any CDMA service, if that service will allow it.  I know it is being done, but I'm not sure how.  I have a 4s with Verizon, but as great as their network is, I have absolutely No service in my office and I'm in the middle of Metro Atlanta.  Even the Range extenders won't work here. I used to make fun of the people in the office with ATT service, which is the pits around here, but now I'm the joke.   A mile away at my home I have full bars, great service, but all day at the office . . . dead.  I have a year left on my contract and I'm willing to pay the ETP to switch this phone, 1 or 4 on a Family Plan.  I need service at the Office!  I know it can be done, and I'll find out how.  I could use some help or pointers if anyone has them.  Thanks!

Journeyman

All the major carriers do this. If you sign a contract you get a subsidized price over that two year contract.

As to the original post, most carriers in the US do not just activate any phone on their network just because it's also GSM or CDMA. Sure there are exceptions but for the most part the above post is correct in saying the carrier has a database of ESNs that will work on their network and one that was originally on another network won't generally be able to be activated.

This is how the business works, subsidization is terrible but people don't want to or won't pay retail for a phone.

It sounds like BR1LEY did have a unique situation, as stated. I would be willing to bet a lot that the device would not have worked on VZW's network, that it just had the wrong programming when it was sent. Though, Apple may have the power to do exactly what it sounded like, VZW phone that Apple could "flash" to reprogram.

Journeyman

The only way that you can get an iPhone 4s for $99 is if you are getting another 2 year contract...another way for Sprint to hook ya.  I get that you are doing what you are supposed to as your job but what you are saying is not totally true..

Wizard

94to04,

Thanks for joining the thread. There is more to it than that. We want our customers to use devices that were manufactured specifically for our network to ensure optimal service. For the situation of attempting to use a VZ iPhone 4S on Sprint, it would be easier to trade it in via www.Sprintbuyback.com, get $148 for the trade in, and use the credit to get a brand new Sprint iPhone 4S for $99. You end up with a brand new phone, no hacking required, and an extra $49.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Except for the fact that Sprint is CONSTANTLY making it more difficult for their own current customers to use their service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also, unique situation or not, the fact is, is that they were able to re-flash the phone.  What does the situation have to do with it?  I heard of others that have been able to who have not had unique situations.  Sprint is just trying to get you to sell your current phone to get one of their phones....their "business sense".

Highlighted
Journeyman

14Knight - So rather than bring in a new customer to Sprint who is willing to pay the no longer lowest price for Unlimited Talk/Text/Data on an unlocked CDMA Iphone 5 (or any CDMA phone for that matter) they would rather tick off that potential customer or existing customer trying to save a buck off the cost of a new iphone????     Why make it harder for people to use Sprint, that makes absolutely no business sense!!!

Journeyman

What if you jailbroke the iPhone? I know it isn't recommended and I would do so at my own risk, but wouldn't that make the iPhone able to be activated on the Sprint network no matter what?