cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately after iOS 5.1 update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately after iOS 5.1 update?

Friend's phone: iPhone 4S, on Sprint.

My phone: HTC Arrive, also on Sprint.

Problem: Starting right around March 10 (in other words, a few days after the iOS 5.1 announcement, which seems too close to be a mere coincidence), very often, when she sends me a text, the last word (and ONLY the last word) will be truncated and I receive it as a separate message. Something like:

"Hey, hi, how are you doing, what are you doing for"

"lunch?"

Thing is, I have seen this happen on texts as short as a combined 100 characters, but I've also seen it on texts that were over 120. (Including one that came in at 123, and then truncated the last four characters.) And it's ALWAYS the last single word. And she is the only person I experience this problem with, *and* she is the only person I know with a Sprint iPhone.

So it's not cross-carrier, and it's not always truncating at any kind of round-number point. Now, we both have unlimited messaging so it doesn't bring the world to a screeching halt, but it's irritating, and it would be seriously dubious if I WAS on any sort of metered messaging.

Anyone else see this or have an idea of what's going on? Is Sprint working with Apple on getting this fixed?

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately after iOS 5.1 update?

Fred,

I sorry for the inconvience. This is the first I have heard of this specific issue. Any message under 160 characters is considered 1 message. Sounds like this could be some sort of issue on the back end.

I can take a look into this for you. I will send you a private message; I need to gather a bit more information.

-Lindsay

Journeyman

Re: Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately after iOS 5.1 update?

I would be happy to give you any information I can, though it's her phone and she lives on the other side of the country so I can't get everything. But I would really like to get this figured out.

Wizard

No problem. I sent you a message.

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem. I have an EVO 4G and my GF has an iPhone 4S. She updated to iOS 5.1 immediately after buying the phone so I don't know if the problem was happening before the update.

-Sophos777

Journeyman

Hey all,

I also have an iPhone iOS 5.1 and have been experiencing the same issues with texting. After playing around and Googling, I have found the best solution for the time being is to add 2 or 3 spaces to the end of the text message. This has been a good workaround for me, and I haven't had this problem occur anymore. This seems to be an Apple issue, not a Sprint issue, as all iPhone users seem to be experiencing this problem after the latest update. So try this fix out for a while and see if it works for you and don't forget to log on to Apple's site and let them know about the issue. Hopefully the next update will fix it for good.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Good luck guys, let us know if it works for you.

Master

lvm.mata

I removed two identical posts to the one in this thread. Posting the same information is several threas is a bannable offense as per the Community Guidelines and is a bannable action. Please cease this activity or I will be force to take this action.

mapesy

Journeyman

To chime in, I am having a similar problem. I have an iPhone 4s on Sprint with iOS 5.1, updated in March.

1. Text messages sent were received more than once only occasionally. I think since the iOS update, but maybe from before then. It wasn't too irritating so it was ignored.

2. Starting yesterday, the last word is truncated and sent separately. Elements of the message are sent multiple times. Sometimes a block of the first part. Sometimes just the last word.

3. Today, the last word is being trucated, and sent seperately, but the last word is being sent over and over. In one case the last word was sent every few hours maybe 5 or 6 times. In another case, the last word of 3 texts were resent hours later.

I have to guess the Apple update is responsible for the text breaks, but somehow the Sprint network is getting something it doesn't like in the SMS protocol and keeps resending. Just a wild guess, but after reading quite a few forums, it looks like a problem with both Apple and Sprint. Maybe Apple is corrupting the SMS, which is causing Sprint a problem, but it's interesting that only Sprint customers seem to experience this.

Journeyman

Having the same problem for months. SPRINT, WHEN WILL THERE BE A FIX?

Journeyman

respectfully, perhaps if Sprint would actually provide a SOLUTION to the problem that so many people are having, people would not be posting about the same problem multiple times in an effort to quit annoying everyone they text with the split messages.

Journeyman

Clearly this problem is not just with the person who started this bread.  MANY of us have this problem, so perhaps you can tell us if there is a solution yet?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat