cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to UK May 2012, Sprint says "NO" to unlocking our three (World) iPhone 4S's

Highlighted
Journeyman

Moving to UK May 2012, Sprint says "NO" to unlocking our three (World) iPhone 4S's

We purchased 3 iPhone 4S's last year being advertised as the SIM slot being "unlocked" when they arrived because we wanted world phones knowing we would be relocating at some time to England.

**All iphone 4S sim slots arrived locked.**

We have a family unlimited everything plan in good standing and put in "a request" to have the phones unlocked now that we have our relocation timeline in May. I called SPRINT two days ago, was told my request can take up to 24 hours, to call back then. I called back today and was transferred to the Sprint International Department who then put me on hold again 30 minutes, came back and told me "At this point in time we are unable to unlock iPhone 4S phones, but you are more than welcome to add an International plan..." yadda yadda yadda.

Are you kidding me?

I THEN did some investigating and discovered even IF Sprint will unlock the sim slot on iPhone 4S's it would ONLY be for foreign sim cards (though they tell you a foreign pay as you go GSM sim will not work in an unlocked 4S) and upon returning to the USA if you try to use another GSM carrier sim card it does NOT work as that slot is actually STILL LOCKED to only use the Sprint sim the phones are shipped with. In other words at this point I am either selling all 3 of our CMDA / GSM (World) iPhone 4S's because at this point Sprint will not unlock them for International sim use (England in our case)...and purchasing TRUE UNLOCKED iPhone 4S's straight from Apple, or wait for the ever popular hacker-jailbreak unlock to come out which eventually WILL find a way around this "sim slot locked to only USA Sprint card."

I have now 3 useless new iPhone 4S's we cannot use overseas no thanks to Sprint. I'm angry but also dissapointed because we have enjoyed our Sprint service and the fact we had unlimited data whereas we travel with employment in the USA. The only problem we ever have had is the fact we pay over 200$ a month yet Sprint blocks the use of ALL Smartphone's "hotspot" feature and will ONLY unblock it if you pay an addional 35$ (last we used it). I mean if we are already paying for "unlimited data" why pay for it twice?

BAD business practice Sprint, very bad.

Closing my account with Sprint? YOU BETCHA.

Selling our three new iPhone 4S "World" phones on Ebay and buying true 4S unlocked "World Phone's" from Apple? YOU BETCHA.

Will this post be deleted by Sprint so other customers don't realise they have been cheated? SOON I AM SURE.

** This is an actual account of our experience as of today's post as events happened. **

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Disgruntled? I think if you have really had that much good experience with them you should cut them slack. Do you REALLY think that Sprint is going to sell you subsidized phones so that you can just take off to England and not keep their service? When they sell you an iphone they have a vested interest in the phone, but also the line attached to that phone, it generates revenue for the company. So when they find out that you are moving that is a HUGE loss to them, ESPECIALLY 3 lines! I am not saying that makes it right or not right, what I am saying is that from a business stand point it would not make sense to unlock. Now it DOES make sense for you to sell them on Ebay and get them to another Sprint Customer who will then be paying for services again. I'd try a different approach with the next rep. Tell them you are going on a family trip for 2 weeks and need to unlock the phones for local SIMS in England to communicate with family because their may be times when you are seperated. Again, Sprints methods DO NOT make sense from a Customers viewpoint, but they do from a business standpoint. You have to outsmart them. I mean really they have had this phone only 3 months and it has to be tough, this is a whole new arena for them. And don't give me the "They have had other world phones" argument, you absolutely know that the Apple Iphone is a WHOLE NOTHER BEAST! Just the fact that they have to put into apple to get it unlocked should show that! SO, beat them at their own game, get creative, Don't just come on here to vent and say Sprint is a bad company, because they aren't.......YOU just have to outfox their ignorant reps. I think the reps don't even truly appreciate the intricacies of this phone!

Hope it works out for you!

lalabooboo wrote:

<p>We purchased 3 iPhone 4S's last year being advertised as "unlocked" when they arrived because we wanted world phones knowing we would be relocating at some time to England. We have a family unlimited everything plan in good standing and put in "a request" to have the phones unlocked now that we have our relocation timeline in May. I called SPRINT two days ago, was told my request can take up to 24 hours, to call back then. I called back today and was transferred to the Sprint International Department who then put me on hold again 30 minutes, came back and told me "At this point in time we are unable to unlock iPhone 4S phones, but you are more than welcome to add an International plan..." yadda yadda yadda.</p>

<p>Are you kidding me???</p>

<p>I THEN did some investigating and discovered even IF Sprint will unlock the sim slot on iPhone 4S's it would ONLY be for foreign sim cards (though they tell you a foreign pay as you go GSM sim will not work in an unlocked 4S) and upon returning to the USA if you try to use another GSM carrier sim card it does NOT work as that slot is actually STILL LOCKED to only use the Sprint sim the phones are shipped with. In other words at this point I am either selling all 3 of our CMDA / GSM (World) iPhone 4S's because at this point Sprint will not unlock them for International sim use (England in our case)...and purchasing TRUE UNLOCKED iPhone 4S's straight from Apple, or wait for the ever popular hacker-jailbreak unlock to come out which eventually WILL find a way around this "sim slot locked to only USA Sprint card."</p>

<p>I have now 3 useless new iPhone 4S's we cannot use overseas no thanks to Sprint. I'm angry but also dissapointed because we have enjoyed our Sprint service and the fact we had unlimited data whereas we travel with employment in the USA. The only problem we ever have had is the fact we pay over 200$ a month yet Sprint blocks the use of ALL Smartphone's "hotspot" feature and will ONLY unblock it if you pay an addional 35$ (last we used it). I mean if we are already paying for "unlimited data" why pay for it twice?</p>

<p>BAD business practice Sprint, very bad.</p>

<p>Closing my account with Sprint? YOU BETCHA!!</p>

<p>Selling our three new iPhone 4S "World" phones on Ebay and buying true 4S unlocked "World Phone's" from Apple? YOU BETCHA!!</p>

<p>Will this post be deleted by Sprint so other customers don't realise they have been cheated? SOON I AM SURE. </p>

** This is an actual account of our experience as of today's post as events happened. **

What you pay to use your mobile phone does not cover the hot spot because it is seperate. For everyone on sprint network to have unlimited data it would require them to have a lot more spectrum and it is not cheap to get.

Journeyman

YFAM2012 wrote:

I THEN did some investigating and discovered even IF Sprint will unlock the sim slot on iPhone 4S's it would ONLY be for foreign sim cards (though they tell you a foreign pay as you go GSM sim will not work in an unlocked 4S) and upon returning to the USA if you try to use another GSM carrier sim card it does NOT work as that slot is actually STILL LOCKED to only use the Sprint sim the phones are shipped with.

Selling our three new iPhone 4S "World" phones on Ebay and buying true 4S unlocked "World Phone's" from Apple? YOU BETCHA.

The Sprint iPhone 4S, when unlocked, is unlocked for foreign MCC's (Mobile Country Code - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Country_Code) only.  SIM cards for United States MCC's 310, 311 and 316 are blocked with the exception of MCC-MNC's 310-010 (MCI: used by Verizon SIM) and 316-010 (Nextel: used by Sprint SIM).  A foreign pay-as-you-go SIM will work fine as there is nothing to differentiate them from a post-paid account at least from the standpoint of the MCC.  My own Rogers (Canada) account is on PAYGO and uses the same MCC (302) as the rest of Canada.

Remember a true unlocked 4S from Apple is only usable on GSM carriers.  In the United States you can only use AT&T and T-Mobile.  Verizon and/or Sprint are a no go as neither of those carriers will activate a CDMA phone they did not originally sell.

Journeyman

Re: Moving to UK May 2012, Sprint says "NO" to unlocking our three (World) iPhone 4S's

I called sprint because I'm traveling to London for couple weeks, I asked the guy and he say its so easy just plug yout iPhone to your PC and do Sync. ...

Master

Re: Moving to UK May 2012, Sprint says "NO" to unlocking our three (World) iPhone 4S's

barataha wrote:

I called sprint because I'm traveling to London for couple weeks, I asked the guy and he say its so easy just plug yout iPhone to your PC and do Sync. ...

Yeah that is because you still have a contract with them, if you close your account, your phone will automatically lock.

As far as the original post, I believe 2 days ago, the unlock came out for the 4S, just Google it and you will find the links. Another suggestion, check how much you can sell them in UK (should be more expensive then here) and see if it's worth for you to buy unlocked 4S here and sell the locked ones there.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Go here and buy a chip works great.

gevey ultra s | eBay

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat