cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

On international travel like China, the international roaming charge is very expensive. With iPhone 4S from sprint, can I insert a China local GSM sim card in my iPhone 4S and use it without problem? Do I need to unlock my iPhone 4S for doing that way?

296 REPLIES 296
Wizard

Most likely the GSM slot will be locked as the previous GSM ATT iPhones have been sim locked to ATT.  Nothing official on it that I can find, but if Apple continues their trend, most likely it will be locked.

Journeyman

I don't think its up to Apple, its up to Sprint, and historically they have allowed World Phones to use SIM cards overseas.

Journeyman

this is exactly right. My account doesn't qualify for international use and historically they have unlocked it for me to use abroad. This makes sense considering the unlocked Iphones will not be able to be used on Sprint anyway, right?

Wizard

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

I'm just not sure if Apple made it a condition for selling the iPhone to lock the sim to the carrier or not.  They are releasing an unlocked version shortly after the initial release for the carrier phones which will be able to be used with international local sims but it's still not quite clear on what the carrier specific phones will be capable of... Here's the article, it speaks more directly to the international capabilities in the last two paragraphs

http://www.appolicious.com/tech/articles/9781-iphone-4s-is-a-world-phone-but-dont-expect-to-switch-b...

Journeyman

It said it was a "World Phone"....I bought a Sprint Blackberry World phone online in 2009 before I studied abroad in Singapore and I was able to attach the phone to my account, but use a SIM card to make calls. I figured the iphone 4s would be the same?

Wizard

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Yes, the iPhone 4s has a micro-sim slot on it for international GSM use as well as being able to roam on CDMA internationally as well.

Journeyman

I asked a Sprint rep. before buying the iphone 4S. It will be included a SIM card, which forces us to use Sprint international rates.

I hope it's not true.

If it's true, I don't know how they locked it.

Wizard

If it is anything like our other world phones, a quick call to Sprint Worldwide will unlock it for other SIMs. No idea about the iPhone yet.

Sprint Worldwide (888) 226-7212

Journeyman

These are all very good questions and all without any real useful answers.

It continues to amaze me that by now one would have thought Sprint could have anticipated many of these questions being asked by it's existing and potential client bases, to have provided clear answers to what seemely are obvious questions and concerns.

Posting these questions here on public forums, only to be answered by those that don't have the answer, or can only provide conflicting anecdotal accounts of what they have discovered by calling Sprint themselves, is nothing short of useless and irrelevant information that no one should rely upon to base their decisions.

Think about it, your about to enter an agreement that could cost you dearly if the hardware you get with with doesn't do what you need it to do abroad. Find out for sure first, then make an educated decision, if you can. I sure have learned that lesson the hard way with an ATT iPhone4. 9 days in Germany cost me over $2,000 in fees, even with a prepaid data plan, and I didn't even make a call.

The only honest answer I can believe is the one I received from my Sprint business account representative yesterday; "I don't know yet"

Journeyman

Here is my 'anecdotal' two cents...for what it's worth...

I have gotten conflicting answers from Sprint regarding this. A 'quick' call to Sprint Worldwide yielded a 'YES', you can use another carrier's SIM card in the iPhone 4S outside the US, while a friend got a 'NO' response from international chat. A second call to Sprint Worldwide number listed above also got a second 'YES' answer and that agent even claimed to have checked with his supervisor (who he claimed would know more than a chat agent). I initiated another chat session and was given a second 'NO' answer from an agent who claimed to have checked with a 'resource' regarding this. That chat agent told me I COULD buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple and activate it with Sprint, something that Apple's website says you CANNOT do. When I called him on this he wouldn't give me straight answers for anything.

The first phone agent actually seemed quite confident about her response, in fact, she told me that if I purchase a 'sprint' 4S, it will arrive SIM-locked but will become SIM-unlocked when I activate it for service with Sprint.

Sprint Product Ambassador

All,

I have been following this post while waiting for information back on what to expect from your iPhone internationally regarding the SIM card.

At launch the SIM slot will be locked, therefore we will not allow the use of local SIM’s.

I apologize for any conflicting information you have received and I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat