cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

SOLVED
Journeyman

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Ok breathe everyone here's a pic from the sprint website, look at the far right iphone pic,  there is certainly a removable SIM slot:

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/sprintiphone-625x321.jpg

Journeyman

wow!! And the saga continues. I've never heard of an unremovable SIM. LOL

The real question is why did it take a slew of published articles to get Sprint to make an official statement on this? I think that purposely misleading your customers up to the day of launch is bad, bad business!!

Journeyman

Hmmmm, I highly doubt its not removable, I think she doesnt realize its just not easily removable (need a tool)

Journeyman Glu
Journeyman

engadget just had the following update

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/sprint-and-verizon-confirm-iphone-4s-micro-sim-unlock-for-intern/

Update:

Our source article was incorrect, and Sprint  has told us that its SIM will not be unlocked, adding that the card will  not even be removable.

Our SIM does not come out of the device - I believe the same is true  of Verizon's iPhone but you would need to confirm that with them.  Customers can sign up for one of our international rate plans and use  this phone all over the world. When traveling internationally, there is a  setting that must be turned on within the device to connect to GSM. The  phone will work with a SIM that is provided within the device out of  the box. International voice and data charges are on a pay-as-you-go  basis and vary based on the country where the customer is using their  phone; a list of rates is available at www.sprint.com/international.

Seriously?? Sim is not even removable????

Journeyman

Journeyman

Does anyone have emails for any executives or any people high up in sprint that we can point to this thread? Perhaps they are just not aware of the backlash this will cause.

Journeyman Glu
Journeyman

Now that most news/tech websites have picked up on the macworld story, Sprint better not sim lock the phone else they'll face some serious backslash over this..

Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

and the saga continues!!! Here's to hoping Sprint does the right thing and not anger or scare away new or existing customers. 

P.S. - Sprint nobody is going to use your international roaming, noone can afford it,  you are much better off making your customers happy and unlocking the SIM for international bands.

Highlighted
Journeyman

An article on Macworld suggests the Sprint phone will be unlocked:

"...Sprint plans to sell the iPhone 4S with its micro-SIM slot unlocked;  Verizon’s will be initially locked, but if you’ve been a customer in  good standing for 60 days, you can call Verizon and ask for an  “international unlock.” (A Verizon spokesperson told me that this is  Verizon’s standard policy for all world phones—it’s just the first time  it’s manifested itself on an iPhone.)"

http://www.macworld.com/article/162960/2011/10/how_international_is_the_iphone_4s_world_phone_.html

I emailed the Macworld author of the above article and asked him where he got the information that the Sprint iPhones will be unlocked. He replied, "Straight from Apple". Let's hope that's true.

Journeyman

I hope Sprint revises the policy to allow unlocking the Iphone 4S GSM portion upon request. I travel to countries in Latin America where Sprint only offers Voice & Text (but no data) through their GSM partners.. Why would I want an Iphone for only voice/text while travelling?

I will be getting my Iphone 4S on Friday/Saturday and keep it for 1 or 2 weeks until Sprint clears this out... If they decide to keep it GSM locked, I would sadly return the Iphone and go to AT&T where I can get a factory unlocked version.

Quick reminder to all... Sprint Return policy is no longer 30 days... it's 14 days. http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns/