cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

SOLVED
Journeyman

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

This is seriuosly lame if true.  Sprint, I suggest you change this policy and do it soon, otherwise me and other Sprint customers are going to have to write very poor reviews about your service whenever given the oppurtunity.

Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

@ MANTAGON - I also chatted with Jonathon S approx 15 minutes ago and received a NO. Apparently they (Sprint) are now starting to get their CSRs on the same page after giving out the wrong information for the past week.

When I told him that my account has never been authorized for international service because I have always had a spending limit, the answer was I would not be able to use the phone outside of the US on any GSM network!! This is insane, especially considering I've signed up for a 2 year contract.

TO Sprint, I guess this is the end of our 12 year love affair - CIAO....and hello AT&T or pre-paid carrier. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that you're definately going to lose plenty more customers over this. While it's nice you are the only carrier still offering unlimited plans, if I purchase an unlocked Iphone from Apple, I will still not be able to activate service on your network anyway. So what benefit is there for me to stay when I can only use my so called "world phone" in the continental US? Where is the logic in this?

I am quite PO'd after spending over $1K pre-ordering 3 Iphones that you failed to make an official annoucement or post anything on your website regarding this ridiculous policy change. I guess the joke is on me especially when I remained a loyal customer and waited for you to get the Iphone all these years!

Journeyman

Yes, this policy does not make sense given the fact that it has been touted as a 'World Phone'...Why do they have different policies for different world phones?

Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Thanks for the extensive discussions from both community members and sprint representatives on my question. Looks to me that the current sprint policy won't do any good for sprint customers as well as sprint itself.

Here is my ideas to solve this problem:

- As long as the sprint customer is paying the monthly plan, it is allowed to use the iPhone 4S with local GSM carrier sim card in international travel by calling the sprint international service to set up a window, for example, six weeks. After six weeks, the phone won't work oversea and you need to call sprint international service again if your travel is extended.

This will benefit both sprint customers and sprint itself:

- The sprint customers won't have to be bothered by the sprint worldwide roaming charge, which definitely prevent sprint customer to using it at all. And sprint customers do not have to pay somebody else to unlock the iPhone in a dangerous way.

- While sprint customer is traveling oversea, he/she is still paying sprint the monthly plan while not using sprint network. What a easy money for sprint.The longer travel of the customer, the better for sprint.

- This is only good for customers stick with Sprint so it helps to keep the current customers happy and attract new cuscomers.

- Sprint may also charge a fee for the unlocked period, for example, $10/month. I think most international travelers won't bother it too much because of the convenience.

- Basically, iPhone(and also smart phones) is not only just a phone, it is an information/communication center, an aid, a secretary, a part of ourself. It goes where I go. Sprint shall open its mind to meet this requirement and capitalize on it in a smart and constructive way, rather than force its customers to pay for expensive international roaming that is too old an concept and deemed useless so it is avoided by almost all of its customers.

Journeyman

I Just talked to a rep who told me they are still waiting answers from higher up or Apple. He promised to notify me if he gets an answer before Friday.

Let's see what happens.

Journeyman

IntenanionalTraveler wrote:

I Just talked to a rep who told me they are still waiting answers from higher up or Apple. He promised to notify me if he gets an answer before Friday.

Let's see what happens.

Thanks, I'll be anxiously watching this thread until Friday so please keep us posted.

@ Sprint (and anyone closely following this thread) I urge you to think about this:

With the release of the unlocked Iphone 4s next month, don't  you think it's in your best interest to unlock the GSM/SIM portion? As  Apple has stated, the unlocked versions will not work on Sprint or  Verizon, so is it worth it to lose your customer base whom you have already locked in for 2 years to have them go contract free to AT&T and T-Mobile? You decide.

From Apple's website:

The  unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as  AT&T  in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a   micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not   work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

Journeyman

It appears Verizon may allow for overseas SIM card use with the iPhone 4s as reported by CNET (see the last part of article):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20117382-266/should-i-blow-my-upgrade-on-an-iphone-4s-ask-maggie/                   

".....A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman said that all Verizon  "world" phones are  locked as the default. However, customers may  request to have the SIM  unlocked when they travel overseas and use a  local country SIM. They  need to call Verizon Wireless before they leave  the country and ask to  have the SIM unlocked. There are some  stipulations. You have to be a  customer in good standing for 60 days  (your bill has to be paid) and the  phone you want unlocked needs to be  active on the account."

It seems that the Sprint iPhone comes locked as a default as well  (according to the conversations people have had with Sprint customer  service on this thread), thus the Sprint iPhone will not accept foreign  SIMS when traveling. However, the question remains: will Sprint allow  customers to unlock it?  Sprint has in the past allowed for this, but  with the arrival of the iPhone, they may have decided to change this  policy.

C'mon Sprint; if Verizon will allow their iPhone customers to unlock their phones for overseas SIM usage, so should you!

Journeyman

I hope Sprint revises the policy to allow unlocking the Iphone 4S GSM portion upon request. I travel to countries in Latin America where Sprint only offers Voice & Text (but no data) through their GSM partners.. Why would I want an Iphone for only voice/text while travelling?

I will be getting my Iphone 4S on Friday/Saturday and keep it for 1 or 2 weeks until Sprint clears this out... If they decide to keep it GSM locked, I would sadly return the Iphone and go to AT&T where I can get a factory unlocked version.

Quick reminder to all... Sprint Return policy is no longer 30 days... it's 14 days. http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns/

Highlighted
Journeyman

An article on Macworld suggests the Sprint phone will be unlocked:

"...Sprint plans to sell the iPhone 4S with its micro-SIM slot unlocked;  Verizon’s will be initially locked, but if you’ve been a customer in  good standing for 60 days, you can call Verizon and ask for an  “international unlock.” (A Verizon spokesperson told me that this is  Verizon’s standard policy for all world phones—it’s just the first time  it’s manifested itself on an iPhone.)"

http://www.macworld.com/article/162960/2011/10/how_international_is_the_iphone_4s_world_phone_.html

I emailed the Macworld author of the above article and asked him where he got the information that the Sprint iPhones will be unlocked. He replied, "Straight from Apple". Let's hope that's true.

Journeyman

and the saga continues!!! Here's to hoping Sprint does the right thing and not anger or scare away new or existing customers. 

P.S. - Sprint nobody is going to use your international roaming, noone can afford it,  you are much better off making your customers happy and unlocking the SIM for international bands.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.