cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Go to solution
Journeyman

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a Sprint employee owned this issue? Then perhaps the "truth" would get out there and we customers could move on with our lives instead of spending an inordinate amount of time fussing with this darn gadget, and that's all this shiny thing is because it's not a phone until my phone providor fixes it. It's a world phone with CDMA and GSM protocols built in!

@inoddr - can't take it back. Phone is in UK, was purchased in the US. Hardly seems worth the airline ticket, unless Sprint is willing to pay.

Master

Just to clarify, ##UPDATE# or ##873283# for a Sprint iPhone 4(S) updates ALL Sprint parameters not just the PRL.  Phone number, MSID, Data profile, PRL, and firmware.  And you must have adequate Sprint CDMA signal for the update to complete successfully. 

Journeyman

gcataldo wrote:

Zzznorch wrote:

BILLBANAS1 wrote:

The Sprint rep confirmed for me that a SIM lock was pushed to all iPhone 4s models bought between 10/14 and 11/11. So, the 11/11 thing is irrelevant now.

Well they have not done it to either my phone or a colleagues phone.  I tested with an inactive Rogers SIM again this afternoon and it did not go into the activation screen.  Either the Sprint rep is spreading FUD or they have not quite figured out how to do it to all phones. I will be rather angry if they retroactively lock my phone.  I have already used it with a foreign SIM and I like it that way.  I am curious how they are doing it.  OTA push or through iTunes.

UPDATE: Just for fun this morning, I ran ##UPDATE# and then put my inactive Rogers SIM in the phone (to test if the OTA update was downloading the lock).  It still works and I do not get an "Invalid SIM" message.  Not knowing all the intricacies of iPhone locking, I wonder if the lock is not able to be activated on iPhones that have already been used with a foreign SIM.  That is, my iPhone already verified with the Apple mothership back in November that it was unlocked for foreign SIM's so it no longer checks.  Those customers who have never inserted a foreign SIM into their pre-11/11/2011 phone are now attempting to verify with Apple for the first time and are getting hit with the lock.  It is the only plausible explanation I can think of at this point.  There is another iPhone 4S I can test later today that I know has never had any SIM other than the Sprint SIM installed.

UPDATE 2: Tested the Rogers SIM on yet another iPhone 4S (a white one) that NEVER had any SIM other than the Sprint one installed.  The foreign SIM works fine.  No locking issue.

Can I calrify what your saying? 

- The act of checking the iphone with a foreign sim prior to getting a valid unlock effectively stops future unlocks from working?  

No that is not what I am saying.  A member posted back in this thread that his pre-11/11/2011 was locked by Sprint via some update which seems contrary to what the rest of us with iPhones ordered from Sprint before 11/11/2011 have experienced.  My theory (not proven) was that perhaps if an unlocked phone had been used with a foreign SIM that it somehow prevented Sprint from locking the phone after the fact.  However, upon checking an iPhone 4S that was delivered on 10/14/2011 and never had a foreign SIM installed, it was still unlocked.

As for putting a foreign SIM into a locked iPhone 4S, I cannot imagine how that would prevent the phone from ever being unlocked.  Some people have reported success with Sprint unlocking their phone. It appears the problem is Sprint being able to get the request to Apple with the correct IMEI number and Apple following through.  I see people posting that Sprint wants to know the ICCID number of their SIM card.  That makes no sense at all since that information is irrelevant in the unlocking process.  All that is needed is the IMEI number in order for Apple to issue the unlock to the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

You may want to view our experience just posted, we ARE business customers and unlocking our 3 iphone 4S's were a NO.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/385742#385742

Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

they lied.

Journeyman

Your correct. You do not need iTunes to sync to unlock your iPhone, we have 1 older iPhone 3GS that was on an AT&T Network that's unlocked using a pay as you go sim. No iTunes was used.

Journeyman

Read my company post

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/385742#385742

No unlocked phones here!

Journeyman

YFAM2012 wrote:

Your correct. You do not need iTunes to sync to unlock your iPhone, we have 1 older iPhone 3GS that was on an AT&T Network that's unlocked using a pay as you go sim. No iTunes was used.

So you managed to get iphone 3gs unlocked by ATT, thats an achievement, whats your secret?  

Journeyman

Depends on how you do the unlock. If you use Gevey SIM or ultrasn0w you don't need iTunes. There are a couple others I think as well ( can't think of the names) but the most common way is using Sn0wbreeze, for which you do need iTunes. You use sn0wbreeze to build the cooked ipsw file and restore it with iTunes.

Journeyman

So to confirm.. I am currently in Mexico and when I was back at home I tested two different international micro sims to check to see if my phone was unlocked and both times I would get the message of "inserting a valid sim." I consulted the sprint people numerous times and they told me that my phone was indeed unlocked and I needed to be out of the country. And low and behold, when I finally used the same international sims that didnt work at home in California, it finally got thru the activation and latched onto a local gsm carrier. So to confirm... u do need to be outside the US for it to work. Idk how the phone knows...but it will work once ur outside the US. And I didnt go to apple to confirm that it was unlocked, instead I took Sprint's word that it was unlocked.

So I was able to use a telcell sim and I realized i could also use my phone as a hotspot as well. So i am very pleased with the end result that my phone is now really a world phone

photo.PNG

Journeyman

Glad you got it to work. Out of interest what did you need to supply, your imei and your iccid?   And is your account over 90 days old?  

I don't understand why they need the iccid as its related to the sim card.

Journeyman

gcataldo wrote:

Glad you got it to work. Out of interest what did you need to supply, your imei and your iccid?   And is your account over 90 days old?  

I don't understand why they need the iccid as its related to the sim card.

Yeah to answer ur question, i did all of my discussions thru the sprint international chat...i didnt want to bother to talk to someone let alone be on hold forever.  And both times when I requested an unlocking they asked for my imei and that number on the sprint micro sim (iccid number). yeah idk the purpose behind why they need both but at least it worked. and when I got the phone in december i opened a new line with a new number, BUT transferred my old number from one of my 2 lines to the iPhone. And ive been a sprint customer since may of 2010 and of course my account was in good standing. So idk if I can say if that 90 days of good standing rule applies or not since I didnt attempt the unlock on a new line. So this unlocking might not apply to everyone yet if you do have to be in good standing for "x" amount of days

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat