cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

how come wen i tried to email them' they told me their [hone cant be unlocked?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?

I'll be off to Colombia in less than 3 weeks. I'm 80% sure my Iphone will work with any local carrier from Bogota. I'll post my findings

Highlighted
Wizard

SofiaAmaya,

You must be excited about your trip.  For assistance with using your device internationally, you will need to talk to our Sprint Worldwide team.  Below are links to contacting our international support team.

• Chat with us: You can reach us during Central time: Mon-Fri (6am - 11pm), Sat-Sun (9am - 9pm)

• Email us: Send us a note and a Sprint International representative will get back to you.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK so I contacted Customer Service, they told me to sync my iPhone with iTunes, then back up to my hard drive and reset the phone. Once that was done, all my settings were gone, by e-mail, music, apps were all still there;

when I synced again, my phone did not give me the message that it's unlocked.

The tech that helped me checked it and it still does not show as unlocked (he said that sometimes it won't give you the message)

What am I doing wrong? I followed the steps they told me to...am I supposed to wipe out the whole thing, apps, e-mails, etc.?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lazhil wrote:

What am I doing wrong? I followed the steps they told me to...am I supposed to wipe out the whole thing, apps, e-mails, etc.?

For some reason, they insist on everyone doing it the hard way.  The process can be performed very simply.  The phone must be unlocked in Apple's database and that is up to Sprint to confirm.  Once that is done, you put the foreign SIM and in your phone while you have WiFi access and wait.  Your phone will switch to an activation screen and prompt you to connect via WiFi.  Once the phone establishes contact with the mothership and confirms the unlock, you are good to go.  If the WiFi activation process fails, your unlock was not authorized in the Apple database.

I went through the exact same process with my sisters' iPhone 4S on Verizon.  They have the same procedure.  You call in for a foreign SIM unlock and they authorize it.  Then you put the foreign SIM in the phone while you have WiFi access, step through the activation process and the phone unlocks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I had to totally restore my iPhone on iTunes to get the unlock message and to get Sprint to confirm the unlock.

The process was pretty simple.

Once I got to Brazil I just popped in a Sim Card from Vivo and I'm in business.

The one thing that I noticed though: with the foreign Sim Card, the Personal Hot Spot was an option and I did use it while down there BUT with the Sprint Sim Card back in the Personal Hot Spot is STILL available...does that mean that the functionality was unlocked and I can use it as is without further activation from Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I had to totally restore my iPhone on iTunes to get the unlock message and to get Sprint to confirm the unlock.

The process was pretty simple.

Once I got to Brazil I just popped in a Sim Card from Vivo and I'm in business.

The one thing that I noticed though: with the foreign Sim Card, the Personal Hot Spot was an option and I did use it while down there BUT with the Sprint Sim Card back in the Personal Hot Spot is STILL available...does that mean that the functionality was unlocked and I can use it as is without further activation from Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

You will need sprint to unlock your phone first. Make sure that  at the end of the process you complete a Master reset. Not all representatives know that.

I just had my phone unlock for international use.I have inserted my French SIM card (LYCA mobile) and my screen is showing  TMOBILE (while in the USA) .

It will display LYCA when I get to France.

Unfortunately, when I asked them to unlock the phone for domestic use, I was met with resistance for 5 hours before they finally gave me a MSL unlock code.

But they refused to tell me how to proceed with the unlock code despite the fact that my contract is up and I don't owe a penny.

They all told me that I was on my own on that one !! UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

I WILL NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD USING SPRINT SERVICES AGAIN !!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was supplied with the MSL code for my iPhone too, but it is useless since the phone is remotely activated. I feel your pain. Given the nonsense I faced, I've decided to make my iPhone 4s a VOIP phone and am running away, not walking, from Sprint as fast as I can. Using the iPhone as a VOIP phone will save me around $110/month, so the savings is compelling.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat