cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay for 649.99 for an iPhone or Leave Sprint for Verizon $100

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pay for 649.99 for an iPhone or Leave Sprint for Verizon $100

I have been a sprint customer since Septemember of 2010, but am not eligable for a reduced fee or early upgrade price for the IPhone4s.

As a loyal sprint customer, i'm disappointed that Sprint decided not to allow its existing customers to upgrade.

I am  considering leaving Sprint and going to another carrier so that I can get the reduced price, as my termination fee is only $100 to leave my contract.

At that price, it would only be $100 (termination) + $199 at Verizon to get an iphone vs $649 to get the iPhone 4s from Sprint.

The economics say go w/ Verizon:    $299 @ verizon  vs $649.99 for staying with Sprint

I would like to stay with sprint but I have to have this phone...!

Anyone else planning to leave? Stay?   I hope that sprint will do something to retain its customers, as two more years of business from me has to be more valuable than $100.

67 REPLIES 67
Highlighted
Journeyman

I left Sprint two months ago after 6 years for AT&T (because it works well in my area). When I had my EVO 4G the best I could get from 4G was 2.5 Mbps and nowI am enjoying 5+Mbps on AT&T 3G network.

Highlighted

I priced Big Red 2 months ago - I am saving over $100 with Sprint (4 smartphones) and have been with Sprint for over 11 years (I have a 20% discount from an employer). The current data speeds are acceptable to save the money. I just purchased the iPhone 4S for my husband (his first smartphone) and he is enjoying it. As I say to others, if the carrier is not acceptable to you, then you need to leave. I would not pay Sprint if I had not been satisfied with the service (I am not saying 100% but I don't believe there are many if any companies someone is totally satisfied with). If the service/speeds impact me to the point that I am disgusted, then I will leave.

Highlighted
Journeyman

LEAVE SPRINT!!!  CDMA is garbage and is history.  Sprint will not bother to fix 3g issues when they are so broke from buying into the iPhone and WiMax... now they will spend any money they can on LTE and not their 3G network which is utter GARBAGE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

No offense but it's hard to say your a loyal customer if you have not even completed your first 2 year agreement.   It sounds to me that you just want , what you want , regardless of who provides it. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

mrcminnesota wrote:

I priced Big Red 2 months ago - I am saving over $100 with Sprint (4 smartphones) and have been with Sprint for over 11 years (I have a 20% discount from an employer). The current data speeds are acceptable to save the money. I just purchased the iPhone 4S for my husband (his first smartphone) and he is enjoying it. As I say to others, if the carrier is not acceptable to you, then you need to leave. I would not pay Sprint if I had not been satisfied with the service (I am not saying 100% but I don't believe there are many if any companies someone is totally satisfied with). If the service/speeds impact me to the point that I am disgusted, then I will leave.

But you can understand that if you did not have 4 lines.  Say maybe 1 or 2 lines.  And lived in a different area than you do.  Say an area getting extremely slow data speeds. And did not receive an employer discount.   Your opinions of sprint might be a little different, correct?  No matter how many years you have been with them.

Highlighted
Wizard

jtiggidy wrote:

LEAVE SPRINT!!!  CDMA is garbage and is history.  Sprint will not bother to fix 3g issues when they are so broke from buying into the iPhone and WiMax... now they will spend any money they can on LTE and not their 3G network which is utter GARBAGE!

If CDMA is garbage then Verizon Network as well as Sprint Network is garbage? Also Sprint LTE network and Sprint 3g network will run on the same new base station in Sprint new network called Network Vision. Meaning that Sprint will get a new 3g and 4g lte network together and will be more software base so that adding capacity can be done easily aswell as many other benefits. Just today there was more information about Network Vision release at http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/New-Network-Vision-and-LTE-Deployment-info-released-in-Sprint-Webinar-toda... Also if you are having slow speed you can check at https://network.sprint.com/ to see if sprint is planing an upgrading in your area.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/images/9004/Base-station-images.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are correct.. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA.. but for whatever reason Sprint's implementation is much worse.  As you imply I would not recommend someone moving to another carrier over an iPhone unless its to AT&T for the HSPA+.  I know people pulling 4 to 6 Mbps with their 4S's on ATT.  Sprint cant deliver more than 300kbps... So.. What... is... your.... point?

Oh also, my area says I have recieved 12 data upgrades in the last 6 months and have only 1 pending... they intend to do nothing.  Also, in case you have not been paying attention this is extremely widespread.. not just my area.

Highlighted
Wizard

jtiggidy wrote:

You are correct.. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA.. but for whatever reason Sprint's implementation is much worse.  As you imply I would not recommend someone moving to another carrier over an iPhone unless its to AT&T for the HSPA+.  I know people pulling 4 to 6 Mbps with their 4S's on ATT.  Sprint cant deliver more than 300kbps... So.. What... is... your.... point?

Sprint can peak up to 3mbps but typical speeds are between 600kbps to 1.5 mbps (the same applies to verizon). With att you might get faster data speed (if were you live is not congested) but voice quality / drop call are more common.

My point was to correct your initial post about CDMA and also informe that Sprint is investing in it 3g Network with it Network Vision.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint "can" peak up to 3mb on a tower with two people on it, on a clear day with low humidity and relatively cool temperature... sure.  Joking about that but still, I have yet to see a iPhone on sprint get above 1mb and that was a freak incident that lasted all of .25 seconds.  In reality all of the Sprint iphones that I have had my hands on averaged less than 200kbps which is just plain pathetic.  Prove to me that there is a iPhone getting even close 700kbps on average and I will conceed.  Also, reality on the NOW network is not "peak".  The average experience is well below 1 Mb.

Highlighted
Wizard

My experience is between 1mbps to 2mbps in the South Florida and Puerto Rico areas since most of the tower have gotten upgraded (yet I dont have an Iphone). Since you wont believe what I post here is one user who has a stable 1.78mbps connection at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/375416#375416, more http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/373015#373015 and more in the 2mbps http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/373842#373842 Yes there are some area were sprint need to upgrade for more capacity you can check at https://network.sprint.com/. Once these upgrade are done you will see improvement in speeds.

And the best prove that Iphone on Sprint gets more that 700kbps is the test cnet.com did in New York City http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20128182-85/iphone-4s-real-world-data-speeds-what-siri-wont-tell-yo...

Highlighted
Journeyman

"My experience is between 1mpbs to 2mpbs"

Man I wish.  Those are great speeds.  Nothing close here.  Mine was more like .1 to .2mbps.

CNET should travel to the areas people are complaining at so they can update that story.  I also wonder when they did the testing.  Before the Iphone was released?  Before the flood on the 3G network?

I have also seen alot of posts of people getting no service and really slow service in the NY area so this makes me wonder the authenticity of the story.

Highlighted
Wizard

Bam Bam while that post was to show that the Sprint Network could go over the 700kbps. My experience between 1mbps to 2mbps is relative it more toward the lower 1mbps during peak time (but still good). Yes there are some areas were speeds are slow. The test that cnet did was done at the beginning of November after it reported the story of some Sprint costumer complaining about slow speed. While I have also seen slow speeds of some member saying they are from New York and have slow speed cnet just did the test in 3 location in New York city. Cellphone is one of those things were it all about location, location.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat