cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about your iPhone 4S pre-order price

Journeyman

I pre-ordered two iPhone 4S's and the total for each came out to $338.34 with the applecare+. I might be returning that portion of the order but that's besides the point. $199.99+$99.99=$299.98

NYS tax is 8.875% add that to $299.98 and its $26.62 in tax. This equals $326.60

Why is there a $11.74 difference between me pre-ordering from Sprint and me going to a Sprint store and buying it?

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

I don't think that the prices end in $.99... not that that helps get to your numbers.  Do you know if your state charges you sales tax on the full unsubsidized price?  There is a lot of conversation about how CA does that.

Journeyman

I called sprint about this. They said there is other taxes besaides sales tax.  I do not understand why we are being charged that.

Wizard

JA2625 wrote:

I called sprint about this. They said there is other taxes besaides sales tax.  I do not understand why we are being charged that.

Yeesh... what other taxes?  I don't think I had any... I wonder if this is more BS.

Journeyman

Here's the response I received when inquiring about the tax amount for Los Angeles, CA:

Since you live in California, your state charges additional tax for telecommunication equipment.  This is called California High Cost Fund Surcharge.  Based on my review of this information, you are charged a certain percentage of the purchase of a phone in addition to the normal state taxes.  I also checked your invoice and you also pay a small amount into this fund monthly for your cell phone services. These surcharges go into a fund in your state as decided on by your government.

Journeyman

I went to a Sprint strore to inquire about these fees and they told me if I purchaser a phone is the store I only pay the 8.875 sales tax here in NY.  I think I figured out why we were charged extra.  When we order from sorint.com they credited our acct the cost of the phone essentially tricking the system like if we were making a bill payment so the computer automatically charges the extra taxes like if we received a phone bill for that amount.  It is a major flaw in their system.

They are basically putting the phone cost to our acct (which they apparently got rid of) and using our money to pay that bill so we will be assessed the extra tax.  If you would have bought from the store you would just pay the sales tax.  I smell a class action lawsuite.

Journeyman

It is unreal. I spoke to 3 different reps on the phone and not one could explain the taxes.  They should credit everyone the whole tax charge since they incorrectly charged us.

Journeyman

Re: Question about your iPhone 4S pre-order price

I got credited $25.62 for the overtax.  Spoke with 4 reps several emails and several hours to figure this out but I finally figured it out.

I went to a Sprint strore to inquire about these fees and they told me if I purchased a phone is the store I only pay the 8.875 sales tax here in NY. I think I figured out why we were charged extra. When we order from sorint.com they credited our acct the cost of the phone essentially tricking the system like if we were making a bill payment so the computer automatically charges the extra taxes like if we received a phone bill for that amount. It is a major flaw in their system.

They are basically billing the phone cost to our acct (which they apparently got rid of) and that causes a bill which the government charges taxes on.  Then they are using our money to pay that bill so we will be assessed the extra tax. If you would have bought from the store you would just pay the sales tax. I smell a class action lawsuit.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat