cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Problem - wrong PRL, no help from Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Roaming Problem - wrong PRL, no help from Sprint

We are on vacation in rural Maine and have 4 iphones among us. Three on one account, one on a separate account. The one on a separate account is roaming and getting excellent 3G service. The other three phones are getting almost no service whatsoever. Occasionally they can place a call, but no data, trouble picking up voicemail messages, etc. We along with the Sprint technical folks have figured out that the one phone that is roaming successfully has a different PRL than the other 3. Should be an easy fix right? Well, four days, and nearly a dozen calls to Sprint later, still no success. All the restores, network resets, clears, etc. later and the PRL's on the other phones never change. The Sprint technicians say they no longer have the ability to manually set a PRL on a device and don't seem to know who or if anyone can. The latest is they have referred it to the Network team, whoever that is, but that is already over 24 hours ago, and no one seems to know when or if anyone will ever resolve it  or even get back to us. Honestly, it seems like Sprint is just trying to prevent these phones from roaming. I can't imagine that after four or five days, no one can figure this out. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Roaming Problem - wrong PRL, no help from Sprint

SCOTTD100,

I apologize for the frustration here. I would gladly look into the area with you, if you'd like to provide me with an example of cross streets and zip. Sadly, when on a roaming network or when outside of the coverage area, there is very little that we are able to do about the network. I'd like to see where you are at in relation to the towers and see if there is anything we can try. Which iPhone's are you currently using? Let me know, I am here for you.

*Andi R.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Andi, we are at Prett's Meadow Lane in Blue Hill, Maine. My Iphone 4s has a PRL of 4135. The other three phones, which happen to be on a different account than mine are an Iphone 4 and two other Iphone 4s's. My Iphone does not have the most recent update. One of the other 4s's does have the most recent update. The others do not. The other 3 4S's do not have the 4135 PRL that mine does. My Iphone has a nice strong extended 3G signal that it is roaming to. The others do not. They say extended 1x. They have no data capability and can sometimes make a phone call, but that is it. We literally have spoken to over 10 Sprint technicians in the Oklahoma City office over the last eight days. It has been submitted to the Engineering Department on several occasions and has been "escalated" many times, all to no avail. Most of the technicians have been reasonably polite, but no-one can solve the problem. The Engineering Department doesn't seem to even attempt to address it. There clearly is good service available here, though not provided by Sprint. No one can seem to explain why my Sprint phone roams to the correct towers to get the service, but none of the others are able to. We have done the ##restore#, the network updates, all of the suggested tactics which are supposed to allow the phones to select the right PRL. None of it works. If someone, anyone, could go in and reset the PRL's on the other phones to the same PRL that my phone has, it would solve the problem I suspect. Either no-one can, or no-one wants to do that. In addition, these phones had the same good roaming capability that mine has last summer.

Master

SCOTTD100,

Thanks for getting back with us. The closest tower to your location is 9.5 miles away in Ellsworth and it is only a 3G tower. You are in an area where the cell towers belong to another company or entity. Unfortunately we don't have much control over the performance of their towers. I understand one of your phones is able to roam, but as far as sending out a PRL update, we no longer have the ability to do this over the air.You should be able to do this by resetting the network settings on the device. Settings>general>reset>reset network settings.

Regards,

Duane

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Duane,

I know that the towers that my phone are roaming to are not Sprint towers. How do you explain to four people sitting in the same cabin all with the same phone that one of you will get great phone coverage for the month and you other three will get nothing. And there is nothing you can do about it. Since my phone has a PRL that works, and since a year ago, your technicians had the ability to change PRL's, it seems hard to believe that no-one at Sprint can still perform this task. It doesn't seem like a good business strategy to leave three customers without phone service, when there is service available. I'd be willing to bet some Engineer somewhere in Sprint's organization can fix this. As I've said, all of the network resets that we have tried do not change the PRL's of those three non-working phones.

Master

SCOTTD100,

Your device will not get a new PRL if you are off network and roaming. You have to get the PRL from a Sprint tower. Also, with our roaming agreements your data is limited to 1X after 100-300 MB or roaming usage depending on your plan. Since you are using another carrier's network, we can not control how their towers provide data to your device. A PRL update might help with this, but you will need to be within coverage to receive the update. Also, you may be over the roaming usage for your plan which will limit you to 1X for data roaming. If this is the case, a new PRL will not change this.

-Patrick
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat