cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock Sprint iPhone 4S GSM phone to move to TMobile

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unlock Sprint iPhone 4S GSM phone to move to TMobile

Hello,  I have been with sprint for about 18 months and have terminated my contract and agreed to pay the Early Termination Fee and ported my number over to TMOBILE.  Apparently my phone is locked by Sprint.  How to get it unlocked?  I see a lot of confusion in the forums about Sprint's unlocking policy and honestly the telephone support is not very knowledgable.  One lady even told me that I cannot use my iPhone 4s anywhere else.  Can any of the sprint reps advise?

Best Regards,

Aswin R

\|/

43 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Unlock Sprint iPhone 4S GSM phone to move to TMobile

rajaswin....The Sprint version of the iPhone 4s is CDMA only and cannot be unlocked for use with T-Mobile. 

Thanks

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

JustDarryl,  I spent 30 mins with an applecare rep and he assured me that my model number is A1387 and it is a World Phone and has both GSM and CDMA capabilities.

Furthermore it does have a SIM card and I believe SIMS are used for GSM networks.

Please advise.

Aswin R

\|/

Wizard

rajaswin,

The A1387 can be used on CDMA only domestically but can be used on foreign GSM networks when unlocked for international usage.  I've heard of people jailbreaking phones to use a SIM on domestic GSM networks, but it's not recommended.

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care 

Journeyman

Correction.  The A1387 can of course be used as GSM domestically also.  It appears to be sprint's policy to not unlock this for domestic usage.  Please confirm so that I can decide next course of action?

\|/

Wizard

rajawin....Technically a Sprint A1387 can be used as GSM domestically.  Phones (such as an iPhone 4s A1387) sold for use on a cellular company, by industry standards, that cellular company will not unlock device for use for another cellular company, nor will a major company unlock a competitors phone for use on their network.  I've sent you a PM that includes a 3rd party link about the A1387, which may help on your next course of action.

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Hi Darryl,

I have a Sprint Iphone 5 and I'm on the verge of terminating my contract, paying the ETF fee, and selling the phone.  Are there options for me to keep the phone and use it with Tmobile prepaid service?

Thanks!

Zelos

Wizard

@QUANGLOC....What's causing you to think about terminating service with Sprint? 

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Were you successful in unlocking the iPhone? I was also thinking about taking the ETF hit and moving back to T-Mobile. I was told I would be able to get 4g speeds on my 4s once 4g hit the NYC market only to be told weeks later that in fact it will not receive 4g speeds. Please let me know!

Journeyman

@JustDarrryl
I just ported my number out.  I think I will owe Sprint $340.  I could only get very slow 3G speed data at work.  When got get LTE, it was not reliable enough to keep it on.  Do you think Sprint could lower my termination fee a bit to help me out?  I'll have to sell my 7-month old iPhone 5 at a loss too.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.