cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 4S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S

No one is more sorry than myself and other Sprint customers. Why not use the device on Sprint? Because the person I am giving the phone to doesn't use Sprint. Not everyone wants to choose Sprint as their provider and not everyone wants to move to Sprint.

No sense in beating a dead horse here. I've learned that Apple will unlock it for me. Had I known that in the first place I wouldn't have bothered even posting here.

Good luck to others out there with unlocking your phones. I'm off to AT&T.

Highlighted
Wizard

Zzznorch,

Thanks for the post. Im sorry to hear this is frustrating you so much. Im not understanding why you would think the device is not yours just because Sprint wont unlock the device to be used on another carriers network for domestic usage? We are not saying you cant get the device unlocked, we are saying that we will not do it. You can feel free to get in touch with any third party company that is versed in unlocking devices.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Wizard

kylistah,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear your leaving to another carrier over this. Didn't you say you just got the 5S? Did you pay full price for this device? Why wouldn't the person try to get a device made for their company? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get a free phone? Either way, If Apple is willing to unlock the device your issue is resolved, which is great news. Let us know how it goes as Im sure other users looking to have their device unlocked would like to know as well. Sorry this was such a pain in the neck for you. But we do value your patronage.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Wizard

mikeY66991,

Thanks for the post. Hello there. Is there something going on we can help you with?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Capt.Random wrote:

Zzznorch,

Thanks for the post. Im sorry to hear this is frustrating you so much. Im not understanding why you would think the device is not yours just because Sprint wont unlock the device to be used on another carriers network for domestic usage? We are not saying you cant get the device unlocked, we are saying that we will not do it. You can feel free to get in touch with any third party company that is versed in unlocking devices.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

My definition of "ownership" means I can use something any way I want within the confines of the law.  The fact that something I supposedly "own" still carries an artificial restriction on the ability to fully utilize it from the organization that sold it to me it tells me I do not "own" it.  Yes, one can go to third-party providers and have the service performed.  The problems with that are; 1) it is an unnecessary expense that should have been provided for free. 2) there are reliability issues with such services, especially when it comes to operating system (iOS) software upgrades that can undo the service. 3) depending upon ones interpretation of the current law, it could be considered a violation of the DMCA.  Are you going to be prosecuted?  Probably not but it is still a violation of Federal law.

I certainly understand that for most customers, this is something they are totally clueless about and, after two years of use, their device could very well be ready for the junk pile (my device just had its battery replaced on Saturday by Apple due to it starting to fail after two years so it is good for at least another two years).  As my iPhone is a company asset, another factor we consider is residual/resale value of the used assets.  It is interesting to note that used carrier unlocked iPhone's from T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T command higher prices than used carrier locked Sprint iPhone's.  So if I am in the market to buy an "asset" that costs the same from several different sources, do I buy it from a source that has the lowest residual value after two years?

Bottom line is I have yet to hear a clear concise reason for Sprint's current refusal to fully unlock a phone.  The response is always "we do not unlock iPhone's for domestic use" but when one asks for a reason for that refusal one hears dead silence.  Any answer would be acceptable even "we consider our customers to be rubes and do not want their devices winding up on the secondary market so we offer them a pittance to take them back since they are unusable anywhere else".  That would at least be a reason.  Not a good reason but it would be a reason.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well said Zzznorch! If a customer has fulfilled their 2 year contract, the company should be willing to unlock OUR phone at no cost so we can do WHAT we WANT with it. Period.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did anybody took those guys to the FCC?

I see no valid reason !!!

There is an old say in arabic " He tied him and  throw him in the sea, and then told him not to get wet"

Highlighted
Wizard

Zzznorch,

Thanks for the post. Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. Have you spoken to anyone in our tech support dept? They may be able to provide you with the MSL code. They will need you to be :

• Authenticated, Authorized Contact (CL) 
  • Account Holder 

• Customers requesting are: 
    • Not in suspended status due to lost or stolen report 
    • Not under contract. 
      • If under contract you may opt to pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF.)

also,

• Providing MSL code does not mean:  
    • The device will function correctly on another carrier's network. 
    • Another carrier will activate the device.

Let us know if this works out for you.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Capt.Random wrote:

Zzznorch,

Thanks for the post. Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. Have you spoken to anyone in our tech support dept? They may be able to provide you with the MSL code.

Yes I meet all the terms and was provided my six-digit MSL code last week.  However, MSL codes are basically useless with iPhone's.  The SIM lock status of the iPhone is maintained by Apple and controlled by the cellular carrier.  Carriers have access to a device maintenance facility at Apple that allows changing features such as the lock status for phones they sold.  Sprint already uses this maintenance facility since they remove the locks prohibiting international SIM's from being used.  In other words, they allow SIM's without MCC codes 310, 311 and 316, which are assigned to United States carriers, other than those assigned to Sprint/Nextel (ex. Nextel is 316-010) which already work, to be accepted by the phone.  I have a defunct Nextel SIM card, cut down to microSIM size, that is accepted by my iPhone.  It doesn't work obviously but it is not rejected by the iPhone either.  Both T-Mobile and AT&T SIM's cause the iPhone to go into activation mode.  If it were unlocked, that would not happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

CR gave me my MSL codes, ...and still the phones could not recognize other carrier SIM cards

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is incredibly unfair. When I purchased my iPhone at the Apple Store I was purchasing an Apple product. I chose Sprint because they had a representative in store and he able to answer my specific question. The unlimited plan seemed like the way to go compared to Sprints competitors at the time. The were all in the store that day. I ask the rep if I could use the phone overseas. The Apple rep beside him stated that it's a World Phone and could function on any domestic CDMA or GSM carriers & any international CDMA or GSM carriers. I directly ask the Sprint rep if I could use the phone elsewhere, and he said if I pay an EFT fee or wait out my contract, at that point I can do with my phone what I want cause its my phone.Sprint seemed to be the better offer from the bunch.

My 4S experiences speeds between 10kB/s and 120kB in any location in the greater Miami area, even in line of site proximity to a Sprint tower. The fastest speed I ever experienced was in a proximity of a sprint store in the Doral Fl area that peaked at 250kB/s This is way bellow the " average download speeds range from 400 to 700 Kbps with peak rates up to 2 Mbps" it advertised for the 4S when signed my contract . Always connected on 3G signal with 4 to full signal strength. I've recorded Data speeds over a period of 5 months between Jun 1st and today. I'm at the end of contract, I have no choice but to use another carrier in order to get decent data speed to my iPhone 4S handset. I fulfilled my contract, its my phone, it my property, why are it's capabilities restricted. It's hardware has the capacity to operate on GSM domestic carries. Why does sprint feel it's appropriate to dictate how I use my property.

I own this hardware, I've been a customer since 09, payed my bill and have reached the end of my contract. Sprint hasn't provide what was advertised as far as data is concerned. Why can I use my Apple product with a carrier that can deliver the data rate my phone was designed to operate at. 

I want a clear and understandable answer to this. Not a runaround response that has been offered by every Sprint representative that has spoken on this forum about this subject. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Isn't this crazy? We've paid over $2000 for these phones + service, and Sprint chooses to ignore us.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat