cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 4S

Journeyman

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S

DavidS, Exactly how is it that "former sprint customers" can get their phone unlocked. I have spoken with three different customer service reps and all have said without the phone being active on the sprint network there is nothing they can or are willing to do. Even after reciting that exact quote about current or former customers in good standing and not under contract can get their phone unlocked. And also stating the information given by Apple on how to request an Iphone to be sim unlocked they seem baffled on what to do. To say I am disappointed is putting it mildly. the way it looks instead of trying to climb to the number two carrier you are working on going out of business.

Journeyman

Baloney!  It can be unlocked and there are hundreds of places willing and able to do it.  Why don't you just unlock the darn phones and treat your customers right?  Any idea how many MILLIONS of $$ you're gonna lose in customers that don't return?

Journeyman

AT&T did the same thing to me.. Gave me codes that didn't work . I have six phones at home that are supposed to be "unlocked", but when I put a sim card in them, they don't work.  Bah to all the phone companies.

Journeyman

www.Sprint.com/Newsroom doesn't exist.  Please post how to use the interpol and sim card way to bypass the profile that Sprint refuses to take off my world services out of contract iphone.

Journeyman

My response on the "2-year contract..." thread:

To be honest, it does not surprise me that Sprint is going to wait until the absolute last minute to implement an unlocking policy.  This from the company that is trying to get in the good graces with the Federal government so they have take over and kill off T-Mobile in order to eliminate a pesky competitor.

As I am reading their statement, I am not 100% certain that is precludes the unlocking of existing 4S, 5 and 5S devices.  They are saying "Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically".  It does not say it excludes devices launched before 2015 that are capable of being unlocked.  Still, seeing how much foot dragging Sprint is applying to the unlock process, it would not surprise me if they do decide to interpret it as excluding all devices prior to 2015.  If the Federal government opens up a comment period on Sprint's proposed takeover of T-Mobile, I will certainly share my feelings on their unlock policy with the FTC, FCC and any other applicable agency.  These actions alone should be indicative of non-consumer friendly policy as contrasted to that of T-Mobile, whose policy I am sure would hit the trash heap 30 seconds after Sprint took them over.

Regardless, I will inform my employer to not consider any iPhone upgrades from Sprint this year.  We are stuck on 3G with 4S's but so be it.  If they decide they want LTE, then we should be looking at another carrier.  The danger that a 5S or 6 purchased from Sprint this year may never be unlocked is a big risk.

Journeyman

Sprint now says they will NEVER, EVER unlock iPhone 4S's.

Their latest lies are posted straight up on their own web site.

www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html?question_box=unlock&id16=unlock

Sprint is effectively saying they won't ever unlock any SIM-enabled phone, especially any iPhone 4S, 5, 5C or 5S. Only phone MODELS they INTRODUCE starting in or after February 2015, only THOSE phones be eligible for unlocking.

Sprint deserves to die. And I'll throw in a "F" to Apple for not unlocking our phones after 2 years regardless. Apple controls the lock database. They could flip the bits and unlock all iPhones 2 years after first activated (they know since activation happens through their servers).

From the above Sprint web site link:

I've been told by another carrier that Sprint needs to unlock my SIM slot in order to use my phone on the other carrier's network.

For eligible devices, Sprint will unlock the SIM slot, to the extent that a device SIM slot is capable of being unlocked. It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs, and that even for those devices capable of being unlocked, not all device functionality may be capable of being unlocked.  Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this.  In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service (“Unlocking Commitment”), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically.

Journeyman

Weird but true, like a lot of Sprint's issues!

Journeyman

Bob6590 wrote:

I got tired of waiting for a response on the CTIA issues, so I took our two iPhone 4S's to [Inappropriate link removed] a Sprint reseller 3  weeks ago and will give that a try. Still on Sprint circuits, but unless we go nuts with data or international calls, we should save a bundle each month. You can tether devices on them too, if we ever upgrade to something with 4G.  Our estimated bill will be about 1/3 what Sprint charged. So for now anyway, we are immune to all the misinformation from Sprint Care. They know what I mean(=> many levels of  LIES all thru the strings), now we will wait out the 12 months and maybe at the end of it the 4S phones we own will be released from hostage.

Message was edited by: TheModerator - "This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines:  http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-admin-blog/blog/2010/01/01/sprintcom-comm... Thanks for your participation in the forums!"

This is hilarious because you mention the MVNO that you moved to a couple posts above and the link still remains in that post, but then when you posted it a second time they removed the link. ROFLMAO.

Journeyman

DarkScorpion_F wrote:

I decided to try again with having Sprint unlock my 4s. I first called the tech support number and explained the situation, and the rep gave me another Sprint number to call, the actual Technicians that work with the phones. The rep that answered tried to lie to me, but I put my feet down and gave her the facts about the FCC and CTIA, and told her the official websites to check. I even told her the facts that Apple gave me regarding the 4s, including the fact that it can be unlocked for domestic use, and the fact that it can function on all networks. She then put me on hold as she checked with her boss about it. When she came back, she stated to me that she was submitting the IMEI Unlock request to Apple, and to wait 72 hours. I waited 72 hours with no unlock happening via ITunes, then waited an additional 24 and tried again.

After no luck, I called the number given to me, and the next rep tried lying to me again, and then suggested that I go to a Sprint store, have them do an IMEI check on my phone, and then they call their Tech support to send the request. I went to my local Sprint store with a copy if the CTIA Wireless Consumer Code. The rep that helped me was surprised to see it for he had no knowledge that the CTIA was updated, and he stated that no memos nor emails were sent out regarding the unlocking of phones.

Upon my request, he had me on speaker phone as he called their direct support line, and he heard the phone rep's conversation with me regarding the facts and Sprint's lies.

As I was giving the facts that even Apple gave me, the store rep decided to check online regarding all this info and found that his company was lying and that my facts were correct. He was shocked and even got upset that his upper management was purposely giving misinformation to their own customers. His co-worker who was overhearing decided to check and found that the 4s came in one model and was being utilized for both domestic GSM and CDMA use, even seeing the same model number on the phones they have on stock. Both were shocked at what they learned.

Both sales reps apologized to me for their company's wrongful tactics, and wished me luck in getting my 4s unlocked. They did also state that they hope that the law changed that would force their company to admit the truth and finally unlock their phones, and stop giving misinformation. They stated that they witnessed firsthand how much loss of business that they had, and agreed that Sprint as a company was not respecting their customers, giving bad customer service which is poor professionalism. Both sales reps agreed that Sprint needs to get with the program and focus on correct customer service, and to stop lying to their customers or else there won't be anymore business for them.

I thanked them for their time and left with continued determination to find a way to get my 4s unlocked.

Thanks for sharing that with us. This is exactly the kind of information the FCC needs to know about. Have you filed a complaint with the FCC with this information included?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ga_fasteddie wrote:

I asked specifically about GSM use in the US.  I asked a direct question but you gave a squishy answer.  The phone will work on US GSM networks when it is unlocked, that is a fact.  Sprint does not recognize facts, they hide behind their policy, even though they have agreed with the FCC to unlock the phones.  In the above thread Sprint Care said the policy had changed.  Obviously it has not.

The phones work in the US.  You can jailbreak it and use a chip interpreter and it will work on US GSM networks.  But who wants to go to all that trouble.  If Sprint would hold up their end of the agreement they made with the FCC all these questions would go away.

I suggest that Sprint Care representatives do a little research of their own on the internet and not rely totally on the script provided by Sprint.  Then you will not look like liers.

ga_fasteddie, I understand your frustration. Sprint is NOT committed to unlocking our iPhones any time soon as indicated by their latest update to their unlocking faq. "Consistent with the Unlocking Commitment, Sprint and its prepaid affiliates will implement these new policies and procedures no later than February 11, 2015."