cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Broken?

Journeyman

VPN Broken?

I have found that I can't use VPN to PPTP server over sprint network.  I have tried both ddwrt and win 7 servers.  Wifi or any other connection works perfectly and I can connect to either.  As soon as I try using the Sprint connection, it fails. 

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

VPN Broken?

Connecting to my home PPTP VPN does not work for me either from my Sprint iPhone 4S over 3G.

I have a 1st gen iPad with IOS5 as well. Using 3G on my iPad (AT&T) my home PPTP VPN works fine.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the wild speed variations (generally low to decent) and high latency many of us here are experiencing.

Assuming (hoping!) the speed issues get sorted out and assuming I decide not to go to another carrier, this is also on my list of things to try and get sorted out

Frank

Journeyman

VPN Broken?

Nope.  It looks like they are filtering gre packets.  Verizon phone works perfectly with the same settings on their network...

So, slow speeds, charges for premium services that you cant get on iphone, and blocking VPN.  Is there anyone they arent going to alienate?  Really thinking about returning these...

Journeyman

VPN Broken?

This is easily proven using this freevpn service

http://bfvpn.com/

add their vpn try on wifi.  It connects.  Try on 3g.  Nada.

Same settings on Verizon iPhone works 3g and Wifi

Same settings on ATT iPad2 works 3g and Wifi.

Journeyman

Re: VPN Broken?

And they want me to call the vpn's it department. 

Journeyman

Well been on the phone for hours with Router Company (Watchguard), Apple, and Now Sprint.

The problem can be cleared up if you have Sprint assign a static ip to your iphone.

For what ever reason this fixes the problem.

Of course there is a 3.00 per month charge for the static but at least it works.

Tired of argueing with them about there problem.

Journeyman

For what it is worth, LT2P is working on my 4S while on 3G.   I get .05Mbps down, .01Mbps up, but it does connect and What's My IP shows my VPNs IP.

Journeyman

I have run into the same problem - I had a iPhone from AT&T - VPN worked just fine.  Switched to Sprint iPhone  - and VPN no longer works over cellular connection - but works fine over wireless.

I just assumed that hundreds or thousands of people must have had this problem and flooded Sprint tech support so they would have a ready stock answer - but apparently not ... I called them and they had no clue - so I gave the sprint support person

the hint about a static IP address from this post  - we added the static IP address (for 3$ per month ...)  and wala! VPN works over cellular again...

Journeyman

Sprint needs to fix this...

Charging $3 a month for a static IP address that nobody even wanted in the first place to work around a problem that other carriers don't have is not right...

PPTP VPN support is a basic function of the iPhone, and as such Sprint should fix the problem and make sure VPN support works properly.

Thank goodness for this forum and people that are smarter than me for at least figuring out a way to get it to work!

Frank

Journeyman

Ready for something that will BLOW your mind?

1) Connect to PPTP VPN over the Sprint 3G network on iphone 4s (fail to connect )

2) Connect to PPTP VPN over WiFi (works great, as noted above )

3) Start a Sprint WiFi Hotspot on iphone 4s and log into the same  VPN that failed in step #1 above, using a laptop connected to the  iphone 4s hotspot (Success and works great )

4) While in Sprint Hotspot mode on iphone 4s, attempt to connect iphone 4s to VPN (Success and works great! )

5) Turn off the Hotspot mode while still connected to VPN (drops the VPN connection )

I  don't think that the hotspot mode issues a static IP to the Sprint  handset and I do not have the $3 static IP option from Sprint, so the  fact that VPN works fine when connected in hotspot mode would point to a  possible Apple firmware issue or the crappy way that Sprint decided to  control the hotspot option and unlock that feature remotely.Hotspot on iphone 4s appears to be natively locked on Sprint and  you have to call the customer service to enable the $30/month service.   I'm guessing that the iphone is going to some server at Sprint to  confirm that hotspot is enabled and then it authenticates and allows the  hotspot option to show up in the main Settings window after the first  time it is used.  (I also have an official Apple unlocked iphone  4(non-CDMA version) running the same OS and the behavior is exactly the  same with the exception that hotspot mode is not locked by a carrier and  no VPN issues)

A few posts above noted that the VPN connects just fine whan a  static IP service is added to the Sprint iphone 4s plan.  This method  working could be related to a server authenticating the iphone 4s  (Sprint model only) in order to determine if the phone is allowed to use  hotspot or is allowed to have a static IP.  That same authentication  may be linked to establishing the static IP and unblocking the VPN  filter or VPN pass-through routing inside the Sprint network.   Consdering that the hotspot mode is not blocked by Verzion (at least my  best understanding), they don't suffer from this issue on the VPN.  To summarize, adding a static IP to your account or adding a  mobile hotspot option to your iphone and running the hotspot mode will  allow you connect your iphone 4s to a VPN.  The default iphone 4s  non-user configurable settings, firmware, or Sprint server/firewall will  not allow the VPN connection to run and when hotspot is not enabled and  the VPN link will drop.  It means that whatever is going on in hotspot  mode is one of the keys to figuring out why the VPN is not working when  in normal non-hotspot mode.

If there are any Sprint techs listening, please forward this info  over to Apple to start troubleshooting this issue.  It's probably a  little bit of both parties fault where Sprint is responsible for trying  to lock down the hotspot and Apple is responsible for messing up the  firmware lock that only Sprint wanted and hence the issue is only seen  on Sprint.

Journeyman

OK

New issues,

Turning on Static IP has caused my Voicemail app to no longer work.  Voicemail is unable to connect. So no new voicemails come to the phone.  After many many hours and factory resets on my phone, we figured out that we had to disable the static ip and turn the voice mail off and then back on inorder to get it to start working again.  So i need a static ip for pptp vpn but then i loose voicemail.

This problem needs to get fixed soon.

Journeyman

I can confirm that the above post is correct.

I eliminated (for now) my static ip because i could no longer get voicemails or voicemail notifications delivered to my new iphone 4s.  So now i have a dynamic ip.  I have confirmed that i can go to an area that has no wifi, turn on my hot spot and then start my pptp vpn and this process is successful.  If i try with the hotspot off, i can not connect.  While this is hopefully not the final way to connect, at least i can.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat