cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want iPhone without upgrade, but Sprint won't sell one to me.

Journeyman

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another 6 months, but wanted to buy the iPhone earlier at full price. When I went into the Sprint store, the sales associate told me they can only sell the iPhone 4S to new customers under a 2 year contract, or to existing customers with an upgrade. Since I didn't meet either of those conditions, I was not eligible to purchase the iPhone 4S, even at full price!

This makes no sense to me. If I don't want to wait another 6 months to get the new iPhone 4S, what are my options? I have the HTC EVO 3D and hate it. I just want an iPhone 4S! Help!

Kacee

22 REPLIES 22
Master

That is actually against policy. Sounds like it may of been a third party authorized reseller store though. Do you have a Corp store near you, Or you could order online or through telesales.

Journeyman

It was a Sprint booth at a mall, not an actual store. They made it sound like this policy was nationwide. However, I just called telesales today and the salesman said I could purchase the new iPhone at full price. So I will try going into a local store to make the purchase, that way I can put the recycle money toward the new phone hopefully.

Journeyman

Just a note... a lot of times those booths in the malls aren't actual corperate stores. I personally will only deal with stand-alone stores if I want to physically go somwhere and get some help with Sprint. You can always ask the people there if they are a corperate store too.

Journeyman

also some of the corporate stores will do the same. I had first hand experience with this. the intention is for new customers getting the priority for new devices and i assume that that would get more commission for the rep. Get a manager. I like sprint and thier service outside of this incident. just a little warning that it could happen again. hopefully it doesnt happen to you. just be persistent and get thier manager if needed.

Sprint Product Ambassador

@ kaceeroberts - thanks for bring this to our attention. I will send you a PM shortly to obtain more information so we can research why the kiosk in the mall refused to sell you an iPhone 4s. I am glad to hear our Telesales department provided you correct information

@ akiliabdu - I will be sending you a PM also to obtain the store location that refused to sell you an iPhone 4s at full price also.

Thank you both for bringing this to our attention,

Blue

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

What do you not like about the EVO 3d?

Journeyman

Same here.  I started with Sprint back in early 2006.  I had my line activated by one of those booths in the mall when I was stationed in Witchita Falls Texas.  I was told that I had to put $150 down to activate because of my bordline credit.  But I would get it back in a year with good payment history.

After my year passed with good payment history I called up Sprint to find out whats up with my money.  Sprint showed no record of a deposit being put down.  And ofcourse I didnt have my paperwork a year later.  SO I got ripped off $150 bucks.  I will only buy accessories from them.  In general I will only do business with a corporate store no matter what cell company they are.  Expensive lesson learned

ColOniell wrote:

Just a note... a lot of times those booths in the malls aren't actual corperate stores. I personally will only deal with stand-alone stores if I want to physically go somwhere and get some help with Sprint. You can always ask the people there if they are a corperate store too.

Journeyman

JOSHLSSPRADLIN wrote:

What do you not like about the EVO 3d?

I decided to purchase the iPhone 4 instead of 4S, which saved me some money and frustration. I traded in my EVO 3D for a few reasons: 1) The battery life is horrible and only lasts half a day, 2) The overall software and system ran pretty slow, 3) Internet and download speeds were slow, and 4) picture quality was terrible and always blurry. iPhone is so much better. =)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Want iPhone without upgrade, but Sprint won't sell one to me.

This is bs. First off, purchasing one from Sprints online site is always cheaper and we have been buying and comparing for years. Secondly you can buy a phone, iphone 4S just $200 or the iphone 4 for 99$ by adding a line ( you have 30 days to cancel this line). This is how myself and others do it, all done online..cheaper and very easy and your not breaking any contract with Sprint... YOU paid for the new iphone and once it arrives you ARE allowed to use it on any of YOUR lines as you see fit!:

1. Add a line to your account, purchase the iphone for use on this line.

2. When the iphone arrives, go to your account online and deactivate your current phone on your existing line (this does NOT cancel your current line if service and number!)

3. Now go to your new line of service online and deactivate the iphone assigned to it (the iphone). You should now have 2 lines, your current and new line with no phones assigned to them.

4. Switch out the phones!, activate the new iphone on your current line you already had.

5. Activate your old phone on the new line you originaly assigned the iphone to.

* let me interject here that you can do it all online BUT its tedious, activating an iphone on a line requires more than clicking and typing and you'll get errors on the Sprint website. I let the Sprint techs do it for me using my house phone (you need to keep the 2 phones your switching out free while tech helps you switch phones around).

In Summary, you add a line, purchase the iphone for it. When it arrives call tech support stating you want to swap out phones on your lines. Put the new iphone on your existing line, put your old phone on the new line. The Sprint tech will be happy to do this for you ( it takes a bit if time as you will be rebooting both phones and resetting the iphone so it will be programmed to your old number, ect). Its legal, your doing nothing wrong, jyst changing your mind whuch phone you want on which number.

Wait a few days ( keeping your 30 day to cancel new line timeframenin mind), call and cancel the new line and the phone on that line (now your old phone) will be deactivated. I was refunded the activation fee, it took about 2 bill cycles.  As far as unlocking the iphone 4s sim for USA gsm networks, the only way the iphone 4s can possibly (hoping) read a gsm American sim will be to use the jailbreak-unlock it. The Sprint unlock only lets your phone read international sims. Been there done that.

Before anyone blasts me, I was told about the above switching out of phones by a Sprint store employee localy. Its YOUR account and your money, we always get our phones hundreds cheaper online. The local stores are always waaaay over priced!

Hub purchased his brand new Kyocera Echo Android phone with dual screens online for 100$ on offer (no upgrade), in the stores they are still selling them for $500. Same with iPhones, if you dont want to jailbreak to unlock to use an American network gsm sim then youll have to buy from Apple stores. They start at 550$ for iphone 4s here and you get the unlock you need.

Enjoy.

Message was edited by: YFAM2012.  Adding a line of service gets you an iphone 4 for $99 or the 4S for 199$

Journeyman

Oh by the way, Sprint wouldnt unlock my iphone 4S though i purchased it before the Nov 11 lock deadline, we are moving to England in May. Being a customer in good standing apparently just isnt enough. I also boyght mine "unlocked" Nov 5th and an update ( like many customers) by Sprint locked the iphones.

I'm going to jailbreak & unlock mine when the fix is out and leave Sprint as ours is a permanent relocation.

Enjoy your new iphones!!!!

Journeyman

I just had the same thing happen to me at a sprint store in marina del rey. It was ran by a 3rd party so I'll try a corporate store. I was baffled why a store that sells things for money, wouldn't take my money.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat