ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone pay 445.00 for a refurbished phone and lose upgrade?

Patron

Why would anyone pay 445.00 for a refurbished phone and lose upgrade?

In July of 2012 I had an available upgrade, but because I knew the iphone5 was coming out soon I didn't want to waste my upgrade on a phone I didn't want. I researched, by speaking with a customer service representative, and was told that if I bought a refurbished phone (pre-owned) that I would still have my upgrade when new iphone was released. Well, I didn't think anything was wrong with that response as I have purchased pre-owned phones before and not lost upgrades for my family members whose phones have needed to be replaced without restarting the upgrade period. So I purchased a pre-owned iphone4S and sure enough my upgrade was still on my account up until last night.  I called Sprint last night because my company discount had been cancelled and I was told by a Steve what I needed to do to get that restored. I was on the computer looking at my account while speaking with him and my upgrade was on my account. I asked him when the iphone5 would be available to order and he said at 2:00 am. I, again, checked at 11:30 pm and my upgrade was on my account, but this morning when I logged in to pre-order the iphone5 it had miraculously vanished overnight. I called to speak with someone and was told that I used my upgrade on July 10, 2012 when I purchased the refurbished phone. This had never been Sprint's policy (I read all of my mail from Sprint) and I had spoken with a rep to make sure that I would retain my upgrade before purchasing the pre-owned refurbished phone. She said I had gotten an upgrade price, but if I had paid 400+ dollars for the phone I would have kept my upgrade. Who would pay that much for a pre-owned refurbished phone when he/she can buy a new one? I have bought them before and never experienced this confusion. How could my upgrade just disappear overnight and I am made to seem as if I am crazy? I spoke with three people and was left a message by a fourth person who had the same message. I wasn't born yesterday and check my account on a regular basis. I have been a loyal Sprint customer, but after my contracts have run there course on my family plan, which costs me 350+ a month, then I will shop around because I feel devalued and find this practice to be totally dishonest. I had no reason to lie or decieve Sprint about my eligibility for an upgrade, but they felt they had a reason to practice deception by arbitrarily removing the upgrade from my account.

Co-workers have told me to switch to Verizon or AT&T, but I have always raved about the service I receive from Sprint. I guess it doesn't pay to be a loyal customer anymore if all you get in return is deception in the name of getting the full price for a newly released phone. I am quite sure that since I had the iphone4S that my upgrade was removed overnight because they knew that I would be using it to buy the newer phone; therefore, they wanted to get the full price. This is the epitomy of deception and a business who practices deceit doesn't need my hard earned money. I would rather take my business to a company that has slower speeds, but treats me with respect!

2 REPLIES 2
Master

Re: Why would anyone pay 445.00 for a refurbished phone and lose upgrade?

We're so sorry to hear about this confusion.  I would be equally upset too.  The iPhone is a special device with regards to it's pricing.  It's all controlled by Apple; not Sprint or any other carrier.  On our pre-owned page, all of the other pre-owned devices can be purchased for less than $100 "without" using your upgrade because they all have regular prices below $100.  The pre-owned iPhones are the only phones that do not have a drastically reduced regular price for being pre-owned or remanufactured.  I agree about wondering who would buy a pre-owned iPhone when you could by a new one for just a little more.  But, they are popular devices nonetheless.  It is strange that your upgrade eligibility changed just before the launch of the iPhone 5 pre-orders.  But I can assure you that it was reset back in July when we rendered a discount on that purchase which is what resets your upgrade eligibility.  We do have a Buyback program and the iPhone 4S is one of the highest buyback amounts. 

Again, we truly apologize for the confusion,

Sincerely,

Tom Deaver

Sprint Tech ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Highlighted
Patron

Re: Why would anyone pay 445.00 for a refurbished phone and lose upgrade?

I stand by my previous statement that the upgrade was not reset until this morning because it was still available as of 11:30 last night. This policy of Apple's is not explicitly stated anywhere on your site and nor was it communicated to me by the customer service associate whom I spoke with in July before I bought this pre-owned phone. I feel like I have been made a fool of and duped. I am very, very upset by this and I feel that I should be treated with more respect rather than someone who seems to be delusional. I know what was on my account as I check it frequently. In the future your policy or Apple's, if you want to blame them, should be clear to your customers. I will never forget this treatment and I plan to tell people when they ask about your service. You can fool me once but you don't get a second time. This is ridiculous!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat