cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth Paying $50 ETF - Iphone4s on AT&T or Verizon

Journeyman

My current contract expires March '12 however Sprint said i would have to $50 ETF if I left now to get out of contract.. I want an Iphone 4s but the speeds and slownees I see around this site and web for Sprint for the iphone4s seems bad.. So do you think it's worth spending $50 to leave Sprint and go with either Verizon and AT&T for 2 years on the Iphone4s? If so which carrier do you recommend? The bad benefit of leaving sprint is NO unlimited plan, that is only reason to stay IMO.. Or should I just deal with my phone till March '12 and see if Sprint hammers out this slowness/data issue with Iphone4s?? Any thoughts/recommendations on this at all??

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

i bypassed the iphone and got a samsung galaxy s2   no slow speeds for me.  don't know if this is just because of my location or ..........

i personally would wait,  as i am of the opinion it is an iphone problem not a sprint network problem.

and you just know that  apple  will put out another update in the next  year to get on the 4g bandwagon and then the clamor over no upgrades will start anew......

Wizard

Dont believe everything you see posted on here about speed it only affect a small percent of people. People normally come complain, problem get fix, and they rarely even say thanks here on the community. If you like sprint coverage in your area I would stay with Sprint. By the time your are done with your 2 year contract with another provider I have a feeling Sprint will not have unlimited data for new costumers (sow you can say good by forever to your unlimited data plan).

Sprint has been fixing the slow data speed on the network acorrding to cnet. Remember that Sprint is working on it new network which should improve it network all around when Network Vision arrives in your area. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uw for more information about network vision. (All network upgrade will be done by 2013)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57333107-94/sprint-bulks-up-network-for-higher-iphone-speeds/?tag=m...

You can even check to see what Sprint has done in your are to it Network at https://network.sprint.com/

This is from CNET:

"CNET conducted a test of data speeds in select locations in Manhattan and found Sprint had generally performed better than Verizon Wireless' version. The test found no speed issues with the Sprint iPhone 4S."

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20128182-85/iphone-4s-real-world-data-speeds-what-siri-wont-tell-yo...

Again if you dont like Sprint coverage in you area find a different provider.

Journeyman

the speed just depends on your area.  Here's Texas

075.PNG

Journeyman

I say worth it

001.PNG

Journeyman

Thanks for the replies.. Some thinking to do.. Decisions, Decisions..

To answer some questions.. I have had a Samnsung Moment for Sprint last 2 years and service has been bad.. I live in the burbs of Philly and connection goes in an out.. Have had dropped calls, Servicee issues, and constant signal problems..

I know Sprint has unlimited data but I feel if I goto Verizon or AT&T I don't think I will hit the 2 MB plan.. I've checked my Sprint last few years and haven't used this much but however having an Iphone it may go up?? I'm sure you can do more..

Yes I've read about the Sprint Network improvement going on and the replies here but again I guess it's all about the area where you live..

Hope this clarifies some things but still tempted to leave still thinking about..

Journeyman

My last phone for 2 years was an HTC Hero.  I used to think it was a POS and very slow.  Turned out the iphone 4S was the same.  It wasnt the phone, it was the service in my area.  I had to go elsewhere.  If you cant provide adequate service (advertised service), then I will have to go try service with a different company.

Journeyman

Well I decided to pay the $50 ETF and leave Sprint and go with AT&T for Iphone 4s.. So far 2 weeks and loving it (knock on wood no problems so far).. i Hated leaving the Sprint Unlimited plan BUT with my work giving me a good AT&T discount and Sprint slowness issues I couldn't resist.. Good Luck to all if you stay on Sprint with Iphone4.. Thank you all for replies..

Journeyman

Re: Worth Paying $50 ETF - Iphone4s on AT&T or Verizon

Man I am truly sorry that you had to suffer with that Samsung Moment - it was an awful phone - my contract was already over in 2009 when my advanced phone choices were the Samsung Moment or trying the Pam Pre/Pixi phones - I was genuinely torn for a year just sitting with my palm treo until I finally bought the Samsung Moment in 2010 - two months into owning the phone, I switched to the Palm Pixi because that Samsung Moment was an awful awful awful (3 awfuls!) terrible phone.

I'm now done with my contract (again) and I face yet another dilema - buy the existing 4G (wimax) phones, buy the iphone 4s, or take a chance on the not-so-ready 4G LTE phone.

Master

First thing I would consider are you in a 4g WiMax area at this time.  If not the area is not going to be expanding and would not expect you to get  WiMax coverage.  Are you in an area the is in the first round schedule for LTE.

www.sprint.com/4glte

Journeyman

(14Knight - thankyou)

I'm just being rhetorical / thinking out loud - my 4G options are non-existant where I live and I'm pretty sure (100%) those options will still not be available 2 years into the future, until Sprint nails down its 4G plans (LTE - great, - but what spectrum will be used and will there ever be roaming agreements with VZW for 4G)

This isn't the appropriate thread for discussing the iphone 4s, but I'm not thrilled how Sprint is handling the unlockability of the phone once a contract is fufilled / unlocking the phone for int'l travel (because the user posts seem to indicate that the iphone is still crippled in some manner after supposedly being unlocked for use abroad) - I understand user committments but even ATT finally relented and unlocked their older iphones

To be a great CellCo - Sprint has always had straightforward plans which is primarily why I've been around for almost 13 years.  But the tech offerings have been a little messy since 2009 which is why I'm staying with my palm pixi for just a bit longer

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat