Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S 64g will not find GSM/UMTS systems

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am here in Germany frustrated and not able to get a solution from Sprint, who has tried though, to my problem. This is my first international trip with the iPhone. I previously had an HTC EVO and a seperate Sprint SIM card that I would use in an unlocked GSM phone. Worked fine. Except I had to carry two phones. I wanted the iPhone to fix that problem. The new phone works great in the US but not in the UK or Germany. It never finds a system. What is more baffling is that a couple of the menu features that customer care asked me to look for are not displayed on my phone. They are SETTING-->CARRIER and SETTINGS-->PHONE-->INTERNATIONAL ASSIST.

It is like the phone never looks for anything but a CDMA carrier. I am running iOS 5.0.1 and have been since the phone was activated, the ICCID of the SIM is correct and I have never SIM LOCKED the phone.

Anyone at all have an idea???

I am really getting to the point where I think I have a defective phone.

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

The problem is fixed and here is what was wrong.

The phone number that was linked to the ICC# on the SIM was not MY phone number. For reason the customer care people did not see this and it was only when I was able to access the internal Sprint international roaming database myself did I see the problem. I notified Internation Customer care with 20 minutes I was up and running. I did not even need to return to the US.

Apparently why the phone appeared to not scan was that it was being rejected for the SIM mismatch and the display was not updating because the rejection happened so quickly.

Wizard

Thanks for the update to this. How did you discover this solution? Did Sprint international assist you?    

Journeyman

The way that this was found was that I used a tool that is only available for Sprint employees to see if their phones are enabled for international service. I had recently changed my phone number to a new local one. When I did that I called International Customer Care (ICC) and asked them to update their records for the new SIM and phone number. I was assured they did that. I then called two days before my trip and asked that everything was in order and was told it was. But this tool showed that my new number was NOT enabled for international calls. My old phone number was and the ICC# from the new SIM was linked to it.

I had spoke with ICC and they were supposed to contact me via email. I had not heard ANYTHING from them for over 48 hours. But I contacted them via email and explained what I found and within 15 minutes had it fixed and working. Once my phone started working a vMail was delivered to me from ICC. They had called me a couple of days earlier and were waiting for me to return the call. SIGH! When the problem is no service and the help ticket was marked to only email, why would anyone call that number and expect the message to go through?

That is the long answer. I would say no to ICC helping me. I had to do all of diagnostics, discover the problem and then deliver the solution for action to ICC. If I was not a Sprint employee with access to the tool I doubt that I would have service right now.

Wizard

ScottFM, if we are having sim mismatches, that is not good. I'm going to see what I can do to get this investigated.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat