Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

THE SIRI IS WORKING!

Wizard

AndyiPhone wrote:

To add fuel to the **** fire...My brand new 4S was charged last night til this morning.  I went to my son's soccer game, and within three hours the phone became really hot and the battery died completely.  All I did was take a few pictures and checked to see if the data rate had improved using speed test.  So frustrating :-(

This happen to us also when we first got our blackberry last year. For the first three day the phone by mid day would need to be charge after that it started to last way more (as in the entire day or even two days depending on usage). I thought there were something wrong with them sow I wanted to return them but thank God I waited a week. You have 14 days so if this continues pass day three or four I would for sure take it to a Sprint Store to have it change.

Journeyman

The slow speeds from Sprint's 3G is definitley not the fault of the iPhone 4S. From my experience with Sprint's 3G data and my Samsung Galaxy SII, even back in the day when I used my EVO, is that their data speeds for 3G are slow. I originally thought it was just in my area, but nope, anywhere I go I run a speed test my speed is slow. I am including a test I did today and a test that I ran days before the iPhone launched. That way you can see that the iPhone launch didn't slow down the network, it was already slow.

I just ran a speed test and my results are as follows:

Download: 0.37 Mbps Uoload: 0.21 Mbps Ping: 204ms

This is the result of a speed test I did on 10/11/11 days before the iPhone launch;

Download: 0.15 Mbps Uoload: 0.40 Mbps Ping: 159 ms

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Sprint states in writing that customers should expect a 3g DL speed of 600 kbps.

I think that with the additional phones jumping on the network all of a sudden, it is just further taxing an already obviously overloaded system.

Don't take it personally, but that's why many non Apple Sprint customers were so upset when we knew you were coming. It is nothing against you nor the Apple phones....just that we knew how bad it already was before you arrived.

Now we are all in this together 

Journeyman

My 3G connection is very slow Ive tried calling sprint but they said their data network it getting adjusted due to high volume of iPhone in their system.... Also to people my iPhone was acting up today I was talking on the phone for 15 minutes and my phone just got hotter and hotter until it restarted...  I think this is a hardware issues ... Attention all iPhone 4s users... Heat issues on the iPhone...

Journeyman

Looks like Verizon customers with iPhone 4 and 4s are having slow 3G speeds as well.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/iPhone-4/iPhone-4-3G-Speed/td-p/532068

Highlighted
Journeyman

Everyone calm down.  Everything will level out in the next few days. My sprint 3G speeds are normal in Minneapolis.  In the meantime watch this and realize you're exactly who he is talking about.

Wizard

tbeemer, that is perfect! You are right! It seems he is referring to half the people who make comments here on the forums. Thanks.

Of course, I do hope that Sprint isn't going to have ongoing problems dealing with the iPhone traffic. Speeds on my EVO seem a bit slow at times but not bad. So no definite signs of overall drags on the system. Currently working NY/NJ area.

Journeyman

Well, I only have a chance watching the video on wifi. Sprint 3G on my 4s - nope. 0.05 Mbps. Make light it if you want, I'm not going to pay $4k+ for this over the next 4 years. Sprint has a day to fix it or it goes back pronto.  Note they've hung themselves with the short return policy.

Journeyman

AT&T 3G, let alone Edge has never had this bad of a nationwide problem. Btw. That video isn't funny.

Journeyman

I've already returned to AT&T. 600k on 3G?? I'm getting 3.5 meg! On my AT&T iPhone 4!  If I got 600k on AT&T I'd call and complain. I had no idea Sprint was so awful. How are they in the smartphone business?  Ugh the money I wasted this week.

Wizard

Speeds are just as crappy as they were a week ago around here.  And as far as the network "getting used to" the added traffic... what does that mean?  Heck, if anything, it's going to get worse as more iphones get activated and more and more people start using data-heavy stuff like icloud and start talking to siri every two seconds.

Here's a question... so when does the 14 days start?  When you activated the phone, right?  I hope it's not when it was shipped out or something silly like that since the policy specifically states "within 14 days of activation".  Plus don't forget that it's not free to just return it unless you do so within 3 days.  Otherwise you don't get your $36 activation / upgrade fee back.  And I'm pretty sure that since most people pre-ordered it online, they won't take it back at the store... which means the chances of you getting it back to them before 3 days is slim to none.

I have two iphones on 3 lines.  If these phones get returned, it means that I'm going to be going elsewhere so I hope I don't have to do that.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat