cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Wizard

adotjdot wrote:

Yes things are MUCH better already.  I SpeedTested over 1Mbps on a single bar of service!!  Good job Sprint; can't wait to test it on 5 bars when I get into town. 

Call me cynical, but keep testing it various times over the next few days.  I'd be it dips back down.

New-to-Sprint customers are assuming that these slow speeds are a temporary blip... but those of us who have been around for a while have been complaining about these declining speeds for a long time.  Unlimited data on Sprint is like an all-you-can-eat buffet that you have to sip through a straw.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After several speedtests I'm still averaging 0.2 down and 0.02 up (yes 0.02 up on average). 

I'm a Sprint customer of about 10 years, and have converted most of my family and close friends (but to be frank....this is really my last gasp to stay with Sprint after some various issues including a very bogus denied insurance claim on an Evo...water sensor on inside of the device was turned but not the water sensor outside the case....since I know it's never, ever, ever been wet ....did some research and found out later this is a common issue due to humidity and often used as an excuse to deny claims). 

I like Sprint and I would like to stay with them, but I'd rather have a data cap with usable speeds.  I'm going to give Sprint the week to get these issues resolved, I know things are probably really hectic for them, but if they are truly over capacity on 3g service (which I believe is the case in some areas) I don't expect things to change so I'll probably switch carriers.  I'm sure there are probably people in the same boat, so I hope for all of us that this is merely a temporary issue and/or Sprint comes up with a free 4g hotspot in the interim.

Good luck to us all!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I checked my 3G speed while setting in the Starbucks drivethru this morning on my way to work.  I had a full 5 bars.

Ping = 96ms

Download = 1.64 Mbps

Upload = 0.76 Mbps

This was in Jackson, Michigan using the test server in Lansing MI.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@therealrebs.. let me ask you, first i read what you saying but... your Evo, the water sensor problem... is that really sprints fault or manufacturer of the phones problem. I get what you saying  you have service with sprint but your insurance is is through a third party that you pay your insurance part to sprint.

Your research shows its a common issue but that i believe thats a manufacturer defect. Now why they denied your claim only thing i can think of is water damage is not covered, regardless if you never been wet,, caught in the rain or dropped it in the toilet ( like i have done but had no problems with it working again).

I did a little research about the speeds also an find its clearview that built the network that sprint uses which sprint is now guilty by association, which is why sprint is building their own network an needs these billions to create it to support APPLEs iphones which is how they got the rights to market the iphone, Apple also IS NOT happy with AT&T.. and why not get a third carrier to market the iphone.. In the long run its better for APPLE.

I do get where you re coming from and where others are, but the blame is not 100% SPRINTS problem since they network, network is not totally THEIR NETWORK. hence the lite network will be all sprints.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FirstContact wrote:

@therealrebs.. let me ask you, first i read what you saying but... your Evo, the water sensor problem... is that really sprints fault or manufacturer of the phones problem. I get what you saying  you have service with sprint but your insurance is is through a third party that you pay your insurance part to sprint.

Your research shows its a common issue but that i believe thats a manufacturer defect. Now why they denied your claim only thing i can think of is water damage is not covered, regardless if you never been wet,, caught in the rain or dropped it in the toilet ( like i have done but had no problems with it working again).

I did a little research about the speeds also an find its clearview that built the network that sprint uses which sprint is now guilty by association, which is why sprint is building their own network an needs these billions to create it to support APPLEs iphones which is how they got the rights to market the iphone, Apple also IS NOT happy with AT&T.. and why not get a third carrier to market the iphone.. In the long run its better for APPLE.

I do get where you re coming from and where others are, but the blame is not 100% SPRINTS problem since they network, network is not totally THEIR NETWORK. hence the lite network will be all sprints.

The issue with my EVO was that it rebooted a lot (if you google this you'll see it seems to be a fairly common problem).  Sprint's 3rd party repair service that denied the wear and tear claim for one of the 3 (the internal one) water stickers being turned.  I talked to a few Sprint representatives they all agreed the repair service claim was outrageous, but they couldn't "undo" what they noted in the account.  I could still make a claim to Assurion and pay $100, but that's kinda pointless for a phone that will probably end up having the same issues.  Is this Sprint's fault?  Yep.  They QA all phones and authorize repair centers.  Since I have 0 claims to customer service over 10 years, Sprint had an opportunity to step-up and correct the problem ... and they didn't.

That's just kind of a sidenote though on this thread (which is about the iPhone data speed).  The 3G service speed has been deteroriating for awhile and I believe only 4G is contracted through Clear. 

I sincerely hope things turn around soon because I think Sprint has a huge advantage by marketing unlimited data and now that they have the iPhone they could get a lot of people to convert networks.  However, if people can't use Siri, etc. because the network is too slow...they are really burning one of ther best chances to get new subscribers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@therealreb... Right,, same page we are both on.... My daughter has the ip4 an i have a 4 month old samsung epic..

I did side by side speed 3g Test an Epic won outright, but still not 3g speeds. so that needs fixing by everyone in the the mix.

I even watch my morning TV News do Siri on TV with just a simple question .. How old is President Obama? 2 out of 3 times failed... how far is it from the earth to the moon passed. The failed test the Siri voice says it didnt understand the question, but in their defense, the other person was talking so it was the background that screwed it up, but it pass without the background chatter

I did my own with my daughters iphone, and all i got was couldnt connect to the network... and no background chatter here. I used my samsung voice command and it worked ok.. I do understand siri is better but with the way sprint network is. its hard for me to change my phone at the moment.

Hope they dont crash an burn ... if they drop the unlimited or cap.. then its time for me to look at the other 2 carriers and really compare monthly rates, caps etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@therealrebs - You know I called Dish Network to replace my TV because it stopped working and they would not. Even though I have a 2 year contract with Direct TV they still will not replace my TV. Man that just is not fair, I know my TV says Samsung, I figured your logic that Sprint has to replace your phone might work with my TV. Sarcasm...

Highlighted
Journeyman

@be_honest... i wouldnt blame them.. How dare you call Dish network and you get your programming from DirecTV.. Maybe the sarcasm would have worked if you had called DirecTv and ask them to replace your SAMSUNG tv with a Sanyo Tv and give your programing from CableTV..

Or you could of  called Samsung and ask them to switch your SAT BOX with Rabbit ears antenna.. Isnt sarcasming funny like that? LOL

I know you was playing.. but it was funny?

Highlighted
Journeyman

be_honest wrote:

@therealrebs - You know I called Dish Network to replace my TV because it stopped working and they would not. Even though I have a 2 year contract with Direct TV they still will not replace my TV. Man that just is not fair, I know my TV says Samsung, I figured your logic that Sprint has to replace your phone might work with my TV. Sarcasm...

It's your first post, so I'm going to assume you are trolling or are uneducated on the issue.

I have TEP.  Sprint is legally obligated to replace my phone (for free) for general wear and tear....kinda the point behind paying for insurance.  That has nothing to do with Dish or DirecTV and your television since they don't subsidize Televisions nor do they sell insurance to cover your television.

If you google my issue, you'll see it's common (and that's why there is supposedly a class action lawsuit being put together for the EVO reboots).  Personally I think class action lawsuits are pointless because they only benefit the attorneys.

...anyway...back to iPHONE related issues (as that's what the thread topic was to begin with).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hate to say it but it comes with the territory when you take a chance at getting the latest and greatest. Especially when it comes to switching carriers and buying hardware that has not been proven yet on the network.

It may be of your best interest to switch back and try back later since this is the 1st time an iPhone is on the Sprint network.  Next time research a little regardless of who the carrier, phone manufacturer, or advertisements state.  Let the actual results come through first if you don't want to make haste decisions.

Us current customers and 2nd/3rd generation smart phone users on Sprint have been enduring what you are going through but it comes with the territory of budget and unlimited plans on a network that is slow to upgrade and doesn't have the $$ for it. Hence we get what you pay for.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I concur.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ditto

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat