Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Wizard

This thread maid it to msnbc.com blog at http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/17/8366758-is-sprint-iphone-not-sprinting#comments I guees there not that much news happening today.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just jumped over to Sprint from AT&T with an iPhone 4S - the network connection speed is a JOKE - are they kidding?  I couldn't even download an app!!   I hope the person who said that data takes 48 hours to be fully activated is right and things improve because in a few days I am reeturning this phone and then I have to figure out how to get back with AT&T without getting hit with a penalty. I incurred a $160 early termination fee from AT&T because of this so I am not happy. The speed of this Spriint data connection is unusable, it's basically dial up speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If they are having issues with the overload, why don't they try to reassure their new customers and old customers by issuing a statement? Also a statement with an ETA as to when services can be expected to go back to "normal" If not, from what I hear, they may be losing just as many new customers as they gained.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got this today at lunchtime local.

Located just north of Chicago.

J

photo.PNG

Highlighted
Wizard

Has anyone tried this to see if it helps.

Perform Network Update:

Enter ##873283# then tap Dial.

Starting Service Update Screen appears, tap OK.

When Service Update is complete, tap OK.

The Radio will reset, and when Sprint is displayed, the phone update has completed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes.

No it didn't work. A Sprint rep actually chimed in and said that wouldn't work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Downtown Atlanta, by State Capitol.  Using Atlanta servier, ran test on my Evo 3D and iPhone 4s at same time:

Evo 3D               iPhone 4s

Ping:        159ms                     153ms

Down:       0.43Mpbs               0.36Mbps

Up:            0.02 Mbps              0.46Mbps

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well My stats have improved somewhat:

PING  |  Up  |  Down

My Stats: 389ms  |  0.38Mbps  |  0.21Mbps (Houston TX, Westchase Area)

My GF: 106ms  |  1.06Mbps  |  0.01Mbps (She's about 15 miles away at work Cypress TX Area)

Brother: 2000ms  |  0.02MBS  |  0.2Mbps (He's in Louisiana)

SO I just tried this thanks to my brother. Turn on Data Roaming ( I did that and it shot up to 115ms |  0.70Mbps down  |  0.11Mbps up)

ANNNNND Now it's back down.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I gave it 3 days and got fed up, returned the sprint phone and went with AT&T, now I get 5-6 Mbps consistent, with sprint I was getting .25-.30 Mbps at best, it was just ridiculous, best of luck to every one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For anyone interest I live near Waterbury ct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same here with me.. its really frustrating having such slow speeds especially coming from att when i used to get 2.5mb average on iphone 4..i just placed an order with att through apple..my sprint iphone experiment is out the window going to return it on thrusday...good luck to yall..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint tried to charge me a restocking fee but just asked to talk to a manager and then I showed him the data speeds and they waived the fee

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat