Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Wizard

Definitely sounds like a technical glitch with the new iPhones on Sprint that needs resolved.

Just another example why I never like to be an early adopter. Glad I'm sticking it out for a while longer on my EVO.

Journeyman

Ok, its 11.10pm brooklyn ny bed stuy AND i can't even get the speedtest to do a da-mn speed test on my Epic in 3g mode.. Network Communications Problems

I would get upset, but it won't help.

Journeyman

Ouch, getting worse

Indianapolis, IN

Today

Download     Upload

.01               .01

.12               .01

Yesterday

.25               .19

.25               .12         

Journeyman

I just got off the phone with a Sprint technician.  He acknowledged that the closest tower to me in North Center in Chicago was having issues.  He logged a network ticket for me and told me I should get a call back in 72 hrs (most likely a day or two according to him).  He had me do a Field Test as well.  Honestly, if you are having issues with the 3G network, PLEASE CALL AND LOG A TICKET!!  The initial person I spoke with was unaware of any issues, so it seems like Sprint is not even letting their mainline employees know of the nationwide issues.  I went into a Sprint store this evening and they were unaware of anything as well.  So please call and hopefully Sprint is made aware of the extent of the problem.

Journeyman

Orlando, FL here. I've been having dreaded data speeds too. Actually went and talked to AT&T but they're wanting a 500$ deposit so I'm probably stuck with Sprint. However, I'm not sure if it's because the network is less congested, or Sprint is finally fixing things, but you'll notice my down speed is a lot better in the evening then earlier today.

296481_10100635757234252_5138640_59457341_560901012_n.jpg311746_10100637065986502_5138640_59469839_432666589_n.jpg

Journeyman

9:15 pm. Did a speed test again side by side with a buddy of mine at work here in Downtown San Diego. He has the AT&T iPhone 4S and I have the Sprint iPhone 4S. Both of us had full bars.......

My results:

Ping = 230

DL = .49Mbps

UL = .85Mbps

His results:

Ping = 292

DL = 4.92Mbps !!!!!!!!!!!

UL = .62Mbps

His DL speed was 10x faster than mine. Sprint really needs to come forward and address this issue. I'm going to give customer service a call tomorrow like some of you have already done. Unacceptable!

Journeyman

test 1

Ping: 1537 ms

Download: .02 Mbps

Upload: .02 Mbps

test 2

Ping: 1709

Download: 308 kbps

Upload: 1 kbps

ZipCode 78541

4 Bars

Journeyman

test 1

Ping:  156 ms

Download: .17 Mbps

Upload: .08 Mbps

test 2

Ping: 154 ms

Download: 25 Mbps

Upload: .08 Mbps

ZipCode 21740

2 Bars

Journeyman

Here in Springfield, MO 3g is really weak as well. I live just south of nixa by mabye 5mins and only 15mins from springfield (65721) along a major highway to branson and get two to three bars and it says 3G however the internet is so slow and siri won't work half the time. The tech rep told me this evening that I need full bars to get fast service (really because i get two to three bars with verizon and it sysays 3G and it works really fast) so not sure what i the difference there. I did the ##update# and it did not work at all. I tried watching a youtube video and it buffered 15 times just on a five min video, it was so annoying. Needless to say I am not really satisfied with the service but what a wonderful phone. I am going to have to look at returning this device and get another line opened with verizon to get the iphone at a low price. Unlimited internet doesn't matter if you can't get the internet on the phone to work like it suppose to. I could never see using this service as a hot spot to my laptop ( that would be a joke!!). Sprint retention rate is going to shoot through the roof end of this week and next week (14 day return policy) since they have not even bothered to post news about this issue and what they plan to do to fix it quick. Sprint is for sure a great company for voice and text but nothing else as far as I see, unless you happen to live in the major cities like kansas city, new york, dallas etc.

Journeyman

Ive been using my moms EVO for the last couple of days as a Wireless Tether on the local Los Angeles Sprint WiMAX, with my busted (now) unactivated (att) iphone3gs that stopped connecting to 3G (antenna issues, my reason to upgrade & switch carriers.)

Since I have not even received my new iPhone4s ( http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78996 ), I'm thinking I'll need to return this new phone ASAP and get myself an EVO 4G, save myself $$ on the monthly bill, have 4G WiMAX service (which isnt very bad, I have a convinient local tower) and even the possibility to TETHER!

Ill prolly get may iphone exchange $$ as credit towards my future bills eh?

ANYWAYS! UPS DELIVER MY PHONE ON-TIME TOMORROW WHILE SPRINT FIXES THESE CONNECTIVITY ISSUES SO I CAN KEEP MY SHINY NEW AWESOME IPHONE!

got that (underpaid/overstressed) Sprint customer service relations rep? dont leave us hanging, we ❤️ you

Journeyman

i am in Los Angeles, just got the phone today and been running speednet all day.... sprint 3G speed is just pathetic. i am averaging 0.18Mbps on download while my T-Mobile download speed is around 19Mbps. this is 100 times difference. the phone is pretty much useless. i cannot even finish download Whatsapp unless i switch to Wifi. switching to sprint is probably one of my biggest mistake. what is wrong with sprint??? if they don't address this in couple days, i am switching again.......

Journeyman

My data rates in Orlando are horrible.  Averaging .11 DL and .02 UL with pings over 400.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat