cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok.. AT&T is pulling those speeds.. by the way. has anyone went an read thru the competition forums an see what they complain about. Now where was i.. oh yea..so their speeds are great, if all you plan on doing is using data and never have to make a phone call and hope it doesn't drop as AT&T customers complain about. If connected calls dropping is ok.. lets go to the otherside together.

AND why to people say SPRINTS PHONES. sprint does not make phones or do they? Is a SAMSUNG G phone on SPRINT different than a SAMSUNG G phone on AT&T or are they both SAMSUNG PHONES.

Is Iphone4s on SPRINT different than the Iphone4s on AT&T and Verizon or is it just the companies NETWORK.

If a phone as a tech problem like getting hot while charging that you get from SPRINT ... different than a phone that gets hot while charging you get from AT&T or VERIZON.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You should all return those iPhones and cancel your contracts before your 14 days are up!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got done chatting with sprint.  She could not access my msl in order to help with the 3g speeds.  However, below were the steps to do a network update on the iphone.  I think the code is universal since it is just a network update.  May want to check with a sprint rep to make sure.  Helped out quite a bit to say the least.  Went from like 200kbps to almost 500.  Try it out and let me know..

Katy U: Tap Key Pad if necessary.

Katy U: Enter ##873283# then tap Dial.
Katy U: When Starting Service Update screen appears, tap OK.
Katy U: When Service Update Complete appears, tap OK.
Katy U: The Radio will reset.
Katy U: When Sprint displays, the iPhone update has completed.
Katy U: The above steps helps you to get good services very soon.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on the line with Sprint support and they've asked me to do run the same ##873283# update. 

Sorry to say but in several tests my DL/UL speeds went down after the update  

Highlighted
Journeyman

try clocking it on the gizmodo site...if you are using the speed test mobile app then that always seems to be very jumpy and clocks the speed in weird intervals. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I am in the middle of Hollywood california and using the epic 4g touch.  These are the 3G speeds i am getting (PRETTY IMPRESSIVE):

SC20111018-122035.png

OH THEN IT JUST GOT BETTER ON THE NEXT TRY:

SC20111018-122718.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got off the phone with tech support / advanced tech support. I'm in the Madison, WI area....

1. Of course, the first level "hadn't had any calls about service in my area being slow"

2. Second level told me that one of the towers was down and a network ticket existed and that maintenace would be completed on the 22nd. They said this was explaining why speeds varied so greatly for me (even though they were pretty consistently under .6). So this gives me.....1 day to test it out before I could return my phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm getting decent speeds here.... At least similar to what I was getting on 3G on the evo.

IMG_0144.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just in case someone from Sprint support IS reading these posts, I'm getting dial up speeds in the 32812 and 32789 Zips...and everywhere in between (north & south) these two Zips.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My iPhone 4S arrived today. I have been lurking in these threads on Macrumors and on the Sprint forums and have been wondering what my results would be. So far, I'm very happy. Siri doesn't lag in responding, web pages show no noticeable difference from my previous iPhone 4 on AT&T. Here are the results of my Speed Test:

http://jdpruitt.com/IMG_0001.PNG

My past data usage on AT&T varied greatly from month-to-month, but always clocked in at lowest usage just over 2GB. (Constant radio streaming, using apps like GPS drive which streams maps, social networking.) Considering the fact that the data usage trend will only grow as apps like Spotify emerge, I think it's important to support a carrier that still offers unlimited data. Let's hope it lasts.

Guys and gals in other parts of the country that are experiencing slow data on Sprint - I feel for ya! Hope it gets better, or at the very least that Sprint will communicate with its customers about the issue.

The real test for me will come during a large event at Invesco field / Coors field. During Broncos games, I could hardly get a single call out on AT&T ... when I did it would be dropped.

I will update this thread (and others I've been lurking) if the speed seems to drop off.

EDIT/UPDATE: This turned out to be the highest speeds I tested at. (There are cell repeaters on top of the towers I live in, hence the decent speeds.) When out and about in town, I was averaging between 0.01-0.4 mbps at best. I am taking the phone back to Sprint and am sadly going back to AT&T. Just a little communication from corporate on this issue could have prevented my dumping Sprint, but whatever. See ya guys.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They told me my tower is down as well and the problem should be resolved in a few days.. I'm in Mississippi and I have not even been able to get a 3G signal since my phone was activated yesterday. My 4s constantly displays a blue circle which indicates that it is searching for a network. I ended up disabling "cellular data" on my device because I think the constant searching is draining my battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wish I had those blazing speeds...

photo.PNG

Apparently I wont be doing much uploading- Just did this test in the loop of Chicago, might be a building in the way though, ill try again later near Wrigley

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat