cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Wizard

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

been.jammin1 wrote:

Just the iphone. Do yourselves a favor and return that hunk o junk and get a better phone. This is only the begining. If speed is what you wanted, you should have bought a 4G device. Just because it says apple on it doesnt make it better. Hurry your 14 days are running out. Hmmm I wonder why they changed it from 30 days to 14 days?

You hate the iphone, but you specifically came into the iphone section of the forum.  And for what?  Troll.

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

iPhone user usually have higher expectations.  I really didn't know what I was missing out in US until talked to a friend in Canada who just got his 4S, this is the speed he is getting in the middle of the day is amazing when my network is slowed to a crawl.  I saw a little circle next to sprint instead of 3G, don't know what it means.  Maybe "o" stands for outage?

photo (1).PNG

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

After 376 posts, the official response from Sprint is that there is no response. Pathetic. It's funny how in every thread someone from Sprint chimes in but not here. Wooow - Sprint did you really earn that JD award? All we here from are Sprint apologists but no Sprint reps. Not suprising as you can't get a straight answer from any Sprint customer service rep never mind having them agree that their network is just plain slow!

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I got 850 Kbps at a friend's house in Sykesville, MD. I still can't get anything in my service area from Baltimore to Columbia in MD. Google traffic won't load on top of the cached maps (from wifi).

Wizard

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Fipronil wrote:

After 376 posts, the official response from Sprint is that there is no response. Pathetic. It's funny how in every thread someone from Sprint chimes in but not here. Wooow - Sprint did you really earn that JD award? All we here from are Sprint apologists but no Sprint reps. Not suprising as you can't get a straight answer from any Sprint customer service rep never mind having them agree that their network is just plain slow!

Sprint did respond in a press release. Sorry for reposting it again for those that are following this thread.

"As always, Sprint is carefully monitoring the performance of the 3G network. We are looking into a small number of reports of slow data speeds when using the iPhone 4S, however there are also reports showing that Sprint’s network is the fastest, such as the Gizmodo report that came out earlier today. Speed tests represent a moment in time and are subject to many variables including weather, time of day, device, and proximity to a tower. Sprint will continue to monitor the feedback we are getting from our customers and will investigate and resolve any issues that may arise," the company said in a statement.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394831,00.asp#fbid=LS2LFzBeHaR

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

People Really... What do you expect first level customer service reps are going to do.. SURE they are customer service reps, they are the first people to interact with you but what do you expect them to REALLY DO.

What is the Function of First tier CS Reps.. Account info, accept payments, troubleshoot your phone.. WHAT?  When you go to or call walmarts customer service, are you expecting them to tell you how to get a clear picture on that brand new 52in screen tv you brought.

Where you expecting Sprint 1st Teir CS Rep to fix your phones wi fi connection?

When you call SPRINT, do you even try to get Tech Support or go off on the first HUMAN VOICE you encounter. Come on.. Sprint 1st Level CS Reps have no power to do anytihng to the Network, except transfer you to Tech Support. Tech Support are not CS Reps,  Do you ask for Tech Support to find out how much is your Next Bill? Do you ask for the Sales Dept if you want to Log into your Sprint Acct.

Do you ask the Cashier in your favorite Resturant to Cook your Meal..?

Yall need to get a Grip.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

11+ year sprint customer here.

we are in Champaign, IL. we got 3 iphones last friday. never got better than .05 download / .02 upload on several tests between friday afternoon and monday afternoon. some tests returned much lower results. at no time did we get data speeds fast enough for Siri to work. apps would take forever to load screens. even loading google would take 20-30 seconds. of course, everything worked fine on wifi. but i travel nationwide a lot for work and my wife is travels around locally all day for her job. we tried the phones in various spots around town. no improvements. and mostly not able to connect to 3G at all. so the sprint data speeds won't work for us. voice coverage seemed to be ok.

my father-in-law has the other phone on our family plan. he's in hoffman estates (NW suburb of Chicago). his data speed was too slow to be usable there too. he still had his old iphone 3 on AT&T and it was working fine. he couldn't even send email on the sprint iphone.

i called Sprint and talked to a nice CSR names Alexis in Charlotte NC. She didn't sound surprised about the slow data speed and did not try any trouble shooting or tech support type stuff they usually do before admiting the trouble is on their end. she said they were experiencing a "nationwide data outage event." i asked if she knew when it might be resolved and she didn't know.

I didn't want to get stuck with these sprint iphones past the 14 day return window if there's no clear idea when the data speeds would be acceptable. so i arranged to return the phones and cancel the new service agreement. we had our old blackberries reactivated (of course, the data speed has slowed to a crawl on those now too... can't do anything that requires data connection) and got back on our old service plan off contract.

we plan to get verizon iphones next week. I hope those work out better for us.

good luck to everyone.

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

3020fjr are you kidding me? Sprint should be posting an official response here on their website not anywhere else. When they change their policies and eliminate programs - do they post that on PCMag first?

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

scf48 wrote:

been.jammin1 wrote:

Just the iphone. Do yourselves a favor and return that hunk o junk and get a better phone. This is only the begining. If speed is what you wanted, you should have bought a 4G device. Just because it says apple on it doesnt make it better. Hurry your 14 days are running out. Hmmm I wonder why they changed it from 30 days to 14 days?

You hate the iphone, but you specifically came into the iphone section of the forum.  And for what?  Troll.

I know the truth hurts, but really name calling? Tisk Tisk.

The title of this thread says it all and it's been repeated 382 times, the iphone is too slow to be useful. And you say I'm the one bashing the iphone. No, I'm the one being honest. I only came to support the OP in   stating that the iphone is useless, not trolling. What good is a smartphone if the data service barely works? Take your phone back before the 14 days are up. Please, do us all a favor. If you want fast useable data, then get a  4G phone, use WiFi, or stfu.

The  whining never ends with you iphone people. First you whined because you  wanted an iphone on Sprint. Then you whined because Sprint wouldn't  give you an early upgrade. Despite the fact that it's already outdated,  you still rushed out and bought one. Now you're all crying because the data is too slow.

This is what you get with 4G:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/94215770.png

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I woke up at 3 A.M. to preorder our 2 iPhones. I even took the 14th off to wait for the UPS man.  Today I returned both of them because of the slow 3G speeds. Sitting outside in downtown Orlando, I was lucky to get dl speeds above 0.16 Mbps. It was terribly frustrating.

Hopefully the returns will send a loud and clear message that there is, in fact, a problem.

I would have been willing to wait out a return until the last minute on 28th if someone from Sprint would have acknowledged the issue.

I could jump straight to AT&T for their data speed, but I'd be happy to stay at Sprint for unlimited data if they can get their 3G speeds to the  600kbps to 1.5Mbps download averages they site in their own materials.

Now I'm back to my old Palm Pre (WebOS really could have been great if it wasn't abused and stuffed into crap hardware). 

It's going to be a pain to score 2 more 4S's for the next few weeks, so I'll give Sprint that time to change their tune to something more along the lines of "We know it's slow and we're working to fix it" before I visit the AT&T store. 

Wizard

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Fipronil wrote:

3020fjr are you kidding me? Sprint should be posting an official response here on their website not anywhere else. When they change their policies and eliminate programs - do they post that on PCMag first?

The problem does not affect the majority of costumer only a tiny percent of costumers and Sprint might thing the press might be exaggerating the news (not all tech blog have reported the news nor does the problem seam to be that big as it happen with att which did make into Nation News Network when they had overloaded network). Also since people like to compare so much Verizon on Sunday has a national 4g outage with some costumer around the U.S. also not having 3g data ether. As of today Verizon Wireless has not release any statement (not even to the press) and this is the third national outage that has lasted hours in one year period. Going back to my point Sprint has 52 million costumer sow far we have 382 replies(many people have double posted and other have gotten out of topic) get the picture there. Plus if your are having network problem (like slow data) you should be posting them in the Network section of the community with zip code of were the problem is occurring.


					
				
			
			
				
			
			
				
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Update:  In Los Angeles, just got consistent speeds over three readings.

Ping:  83 ms

DL:  1.23 Mbps

UP:  0.84 Mbps

and

Ping:  88 ms

DL:  1.48 Mbps

UL:  0.87 Mbps

and

Ping:  87 ms

DL:  1.01 Mbps

UL:  0.73 Mbps

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!