cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

@cgrebos. you did the right thing.. Sprint is using Clearview Network which is Outdated and they are Sprints biggest customer... Hence the reason Sprint is building their own LTE network..

Its just not in the cards for Sprint to stay with Clearview and use OUTDATED stuff. Hence the LTE network.  AT&T and Verizon Use the same type of tech for their Network. is why they have the SPEED.. but AT&T drops calls a lot i hear.

Usually new toys always have bugs in them weather its the phone, like the antenna problem with the IP4 last year when it rolled out. To the IP4s on SPRINT is their Iphone problem on 3g.

You made the right move

Highlighted
Journeyman

yes, iphones are useless for a lot of people... ON SPRINT. people at my job have iphones on ATT and Verizon that are working fine. Also... now that we are back on our previous blackberries... they are useless because the Sprint data speeds have tanked in our area. It's not an iphone issue, it's a sprint data speed issue. at least where we live. if there was a 4G phone that was seemless with our apple ecosystem (work and home computers, laptops, massive itunes music and movie library, apple tv, etc) then i'd be looking at that. i don't care about about having the fastest available data speed on my phone. i have fast internet at home and work for that. i want an iphone because it works well with all the stuff i already have. and i want it to work like it should. Sprint is unable to deliver this experience for me at this time. So we are going back to our old phones for now and looking elsewhere for iphones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Count me in as another frustrated owner of an iPhone 4S with Sprint, actually 3 of them, as my whole family just got the iPhones. I've checked the 3G speeds many times since Friday, and the highest I've ever obtained is .15 mbps/download and .02 mbps/upload. I LOVE the iPhone, but am seriously considering returning and switching to AT&T due to the data speeds I've been experiencing with Sprint.

To make matters worse, Sprint seems unwilling to even acknowledge that there is a problem with the 3G speeds, on both the iPhones and the Androds!!! It seems that they are sinking all available funds into building an LTE network, in hopes of the future, but are failing to recognize that if all the users who are currently unable to use their phones due to the slow speeds leave Sprint, there is NO NEED for there to be a Sprint LTE network in the future!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Whoa, got gasp...3G speed

Ping:  86 ms

DL:  1.94 Mbs

UL:  0.89 Mbps

I guess everyone got home from work and off the network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife's 4S

Ping:  119 ms

DL:  1.62 Mbps

UL:  0.86 Mbps

We're in Los Angeles.  Useage must be slowing down since we're (finally) getting decent speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FirstContact wrote:

@cgrebos. you did the right thing.. Sprint is using Clearview Network which is Outdated and they are Sprints biggest customer... Hence the reason Sprint is building their own LTE network..

Its just not in the cards for Sprint to stay with Clearview and use OUTDATED stuff. Hence the LTE network.  AT&T and Verizon Use the same type of tech for their Network. is why they have the SPEED.. but AT&T drops calls a lot i hear.

Usually new toys always have bugs in them weather its the phone, like the antenna problem with the IP4 last year when it rolled out. To the IP4s on SPRINT is their Iphone problem on 3g.

You made the right move

1. It's ClearWIRE, not ClearView

2. Clearwire only provides 4G (WiMax) - Not 3G (CDMA) which the iphone uses

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in west los angeles and I'm getting about .22mbps and a non-existant upload. this is pathetic.

Highlighted
Wizard
Highlighted
Journeyman

If people on sprint went to at&t an verizon website . they complain about speed, drop calls.. cs reps. the same as us..

Those 2 carriers at least are using a up to date network which sprint is using T-rex type of network.. and we all know what happen to the dinosaurs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In Chicago, Avg over the last two days...

DL  .10 -.25mbps 

UL  .05 - .30mbps

Returning Phone on thursday....

Highlighted
Wizard

FirstContact wrote:

Those 2 carriers at least are using a up to date network which sprint is using T-rex type of network.. and we all know what happen to the dinosaurs.

Was this line a joke???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else experiencing this?

In doing speedtests, I noticed that my wife's Android phone is significantly and consistently out performing my iPhone 4S in 3G speed tests. I made a video a below comparing the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2EQUZx5Wg

Should I exchange my iPhone or will that not fix anyting.  Overall I too am getting bad speeds (Averaging about ~400 kbps).

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat