cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Alright guys I'm back - so last night I caught the Sprint store here  in Maryland before it closed @ 8. Was able to return my 16GB  4S without the restocking fee.

I respect those who are being as patient as possible with Sprint -  unfortunately for me, I don't have the time to deal with it. For me, it  was enough taking the leap considering the 4S doesn't have 4G speeds  and that this iteration wasn't the iPhone redesign (though of course  that's personal opinion and preference)- but its still a fine upgrade  and device.... when run on a network with actual data service. I do have to say that the call quality was remarkable and I salute Sprint for that.. but only that.

Sprint blew a huge opportunity against their competitors.

-1 customer; take care guys, off to prepaid until I find a carrier which doesn't sell out on its customers.

Wizard

May I ask what prepaid are you going too?

Journeyman

The IPHONE will be the end to sprint service.  The network is not prepare to absorve a huge amount of new costumers.  If you guys want sprint services to remain the same stay away from the iphone

Journeyman

3020fjr wrote:

May I ask what prepaid are you going too?

I had T-Mobile prepaid before and postpaid before that; I have an old BB but unfortunately T-Mobile also dropped the ball on me by failing to work with BIS to get data working (sheesh maybe its that time of the year for these carriers). But looking ahead (because after all, I was originally hoping to get a nice smartphone with a reasonable plan before all this mess), the following are more likely:

1 - Virgin Mobile, because my old number is now with Sprint and deactivated - so if I want any chance to get that number back (which honestly, I've considered changing) I'll just get a VM prepaid device. But probably not...Sprint has already ticked me off enough and I'd need to buy some beater phone to use it.

2 - ATT - I have an old ATT flip phone that I'm hoping the ATT store can reconfig for me and set up with a prepaid plan. This would most likely be a precursor to going back to ATT (I had been with them up until ~2009). I originally left ATT way back when BB was alive, and had released the Bold 9700 first on T-Mobile. Though, I always recall ATT 3g being very strong and reliable near the DC area. Although I'm not a fan of the tiered-plans, I think I could get over it now.

Journeyman

OK Sprint I know you say the phone is not pegging your network and I can buy that. My cube mate is getting much better 3G speeds in a side by side comparison on the Evo 4. So what gives? Is the iphone flawed? Apples internet servers? Does the antenna need an update? My edge Iphone ran better than this on ATT. I want to keep the phone but facebook and ohter apps can't even load photos.

Day 1: II used sprint chat and they just provisioned the data a couple times to no avail. Blaming it on the new activation. I think this may be a penetration issue with the phone antenna. At the apple store I was getting 1.3 Mbps after 6 then everywhere else it has been horrid 174k at home and work.

Day 2. I expected this to be slower than 4G but I do not even come close to the 400k-700k "average speeds" a good run is 174k. You paid billions for the phone and we need some assurance that this can be fixed or it is going back to the store for a lot of owners. The 14 day evaluation is useless when you can't evaluate the advertised speeds.If I did not want the RCA out on this phone I would instantly returned it.

Journeyman

Here is a partial transcript of my chat with a Sprint Tech Support rep:

Rosie K.: This is a known issue. I apologize for inconvenience. Ticket has been already raised. Fix team is continuously working to fix the issue. They will fix the issue as soon as possible.
You: Ok, I see. Is there an estimated time that the repair will be completed?
Rosie K.: Currently the estimated time for repair is not available as fix team executives as saying that they will fix the issue very soon.

I encourage everyone who has been experiencing this issue to contact Sprint as well as make it known to as many outlets as possible.  Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease and they'll need to use a lot of grease for these squeeky slow data speeds.

Journeyman

You: Is there a know issue with iphone 4S? I get an average of 170k and apps don't perform well.
SPRINT: Thank you for the detail of your concern.
SPRINT: Yes, we have the information about that. Few of the users are not getting proper speed. Please contact our dedicated Technical Support team at 888-211-4727 and they will fix that issue
Journeyman

What did they say after you called that number??

Journeyman

I am callling now and will update the thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is time for Sprint's CEO, DAN HESSE, to make a public acknowledgement of the iPhone slow data speeds, and re-ashure customers Sprint is working on a fix. The sooner Sprint steps up and takes ownership of the problem, the more likely iPhone customers will support Sprint through their data speed difficulties. Otherwise, as more and more fuel to the fire is added about Sprints iPhone slow data speed, people are going to bad mouth Sprint and jump ship.

Sprint, you paid a ungodly amount of money to sell the iPhone and now you are going to shoot yourself in the foot with the whole slow data speed issue. Wake up board members and don't loose your iPhone investment and Sprint customers over lack of reacting to an issue in a timely manner.

From a previous AT&T iPhone 3G, 3Gs, & 4 customer who switched to Sprint iPhone 4s.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.