cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know but reading other peoples chat transcripts. seems like a freaking BOT is answering the questions depending on certain words in a persons question.

It reminds me of the first artifical intelligence programs from the c64 & tandy radio shack days that you type a question an it typed back its reply.

You ask it

Me: Is there a god?

do you believe there is a god...

Me. No

why do you not believe threre is a god

Me. Just tell me if there is a god

there is a god

Highlighted
Journeyman

hmm that would be a lot of fun to try...

Highlighted
Journeyman

And here I was thinking that moving to Sprint would be a good idea. Guess the network will become a lot faster. In 10 days, everyone who signed up on Friday will hit the 14 day mark. Jump ship or be stuck with it. So, i guess it'll just get quicker if everyone bails out. Hell, Im likely one of the people to bail out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why will Sprint bring a 3G phone to a 4G network that they have been promoting for over a year now?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Works perfect for me n I had a Evo shift 4g n it's faster then that when I had 4g on

Highlighted
Journeyman

they needed the money from the people that would signup on sprint all because of the all mighty iphone..

where else would they get the cash to build their speed of LTE ship

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dude, they're phasing out the 4G network they've been promoting for over a year now (wimax) in favor of a different type of 4G network (lte). I don't know if Sprint even has LTE compatible phones yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in Indianapolis, had an iphone 4 with AT&T and switched to a 4s with Sprint.  My data speeds here are laughable.  I've spent 15 minutes trying to load a video on YouTube and I get to watch about 15-20 seconds then wait another 5 minutes.  I was getting 3-5 mbps all the time with AT&T and hardly EVER had an issue with their data network.  I can't even watch a YouTube video now, I have to wait several minutes for my facebook app to update, it's just not usable.  Occasionally I get workable speeds and I hope that is a sign of the network getting better.  My Speedtest.net app is showing about 0.2 mbps upload and 0.01 mbps upload.  Anyone else in this area getting these results?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, yesterday I was told the Orlando outage should be corrected within 24 hours.  That was 30 hours ago and my rates I just ran were DL = .01 Mbps and UL = .02 Mbps.  It will be intersting to see what the rep says you is suppsoed to call me back at 7pm says.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ouch!!

Not to add insult to injury, but i guess i do understand why you guys are so frustrated when you compare your spec to my EVO specs in Nashville:

3g - Download (1322kbps) Upload (328 kbps). & Ping (173)

4g - Download (9076), Upload (1119), & Ping (138)

WiFi - Download (8752), Upload (1504), & Ping (68)

I hope it does get fixed soon, cause i was going to get my new wife an iPhone for a wedding gift (currently has Instinct).  That way we could have Sprints two best phones in the house (EVO & iPhone).  Hopefully they'll have this fixed by Black Friday.  You know Sprint, Best Buy or Radio Shack always has like a killer deal on a new phone!

Good Luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I should mention that my cubicle-mate has the 4s on AT&T and we were speedtesting at the same time. His phone was getting 5+ down and about the same crappy .7 up. I was getting under .80 down ....

Definitely Sprint's issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, way too slow. So I am returning mine and getting a nice fast Android 4G

Doubt that this will be fixed in my subscription's lifetime, and who needs a subscription ?

They get you hooked for 2 years on 4s and then when the iPhone 5 comes you're stuck

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat