cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Speed test ?

It's so sow that I counted in minutes

Highlighted
Journeyman

Been reading this post since Sunday and currently i have the EVO and thought about upgrading to the IPhone 4S, but even on my EVO the 3G is slow, I downloaded the Speedtest app by OOKLA, and my results are, Download 0.17Mbps, Upload 0.33Mbps and the ping is 306ms that test was at 12:12pm and the earler test was at 10:58 am and that download was 0.16Mbps, upload  0.48 Mbps and the ping wa 274ms.  I would say it just the 3G service itself. I can't say much about the 4G because 4G is still spotty here in Denver, where i'm at here in Arvada, Co i turn on 4G and the antenna is on but no 4G just the 3G, the only really test i got with 4G was in Austin, Tx to visit my sister and i turn on the 4G and boy did it really suck the battery down..Anyway reading the forums too at Verizon website there are talk about it being slow there as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Location Carmel Indiana

For whatever reason my phone started to actually show EXTENDED instead of Sprint 3g. I was getting around 20kbps-90kbps with the 3g and once it switched to extended i was also getting around the same speeds. After an hour sprint 3g came back up and i am now getting speeds of 400kbps-800kbps. Makes me wonder if they are actually working on the towers around this area to resolve the issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would agree with rckydenver.  I also have the EVO 4G and am noticing slow 3G speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Love this. How many 1000's of posts were there warning people not to  rush out and buy the iPhone? Posts warning people that it's no better  than any available Android? We tried to warn you, we tried to help. And  now here we are, with the whiny complaints of the iDrones pouring in.  Maybe you should have bought a 4G phone if speed is what you wanted.  Hahahahahaha - WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all you whiny b i t c h e s who "warns" Sprint to get it fixed or you're leaving, LEAVE!!!!!!. We don't need people like your and your iCrap devices to congest the Sprint network. To existing Sprint customers, LEAVE or switch back to your trusty Android device. To everybody else, don't keep your hopes up because Sprint is not going to fix it for you and especially not anytime soon. Even if they do get their network fixed, it's not for the iPhone, it's for 4G connection.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just gone done with a sprint chat.  They actually gave me a definite date when my 3G speeds should be getting better in Milwaukee, WI.  12/30 is the "supposed" date.  We will see..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been a Sprint customer for oer 10 years, I'm right outside Washington DC in Fairfax, VA.  I have been getting pretty pathetic speeds as well.  I notice the speeds are fine from 12AM - 9AM then they dramatically drop.  It obviously has to be a network overload issue which I don't see how they can fix in a short time.  Seriously thinking of switching over to Verizon or AT&T.  here are my test results from today most current at the top.

photo1.PNGphoto2.PNGphoto3.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thinking about going to the Sprint store and switching to Verizon today. I keep checking every day to see if it will settle down but this speed sucks. Webpages time out, Siri doesn't work and it is causing my battery to drain.

Last night I tested in Lansing (west side) Michigan and it was 0.2 down and 0.5 up with 150ms ping.  It might as well be dial up.  I got sucked in because of the good prices but I think this is one of the times you get what you pay for.

Also for some reason it thinks the closest test is Chicago, IL.  No local connection in detroit is probably the reason for high ping times.

I came from an Iphone 4 on ATT that was super fast in 90% of the areas I went to Sprint which is 100% slow in all areas. 

I have 3 bars right now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First of all, it's not just iPhones that are having issues. It's the entire 3G network that is showing less that steller speeds. Second of all, I dont get the whole angry at society, nonconformist, hate toward iPhones. If you don't like them, than cool.... dont get one. I for one am not hating on Droid. My wife had one. She seemed to like it.  Your argument against iPhone users and the slow service is shotty at best. We're simply trying to hold a forum here for people with pretty crappy 3G service... regardles of device. While it seems that the launch of the iPhone is the reason for the sudden influx of 3G/Sprint users...its still no reason to be a douche. So chill out. Your phone clearly works up to your expectations. Other people who arent so fortunate want to discuss the issues and the relative fixes associated. So chill out. Its petty and useless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Evo.  I am in the far north Chicagoland area.  Normally on 3g I get about 1.5 mb down and .5 up.  After reading this a few days ago (slightly considering iphone... not really though was just searching about iphone 4s speeds on different networks), I have been testing my Evo on 3g.  It is getting .25 download and .02 upload.  This goes beyond the iphone and is a Sprint 3g network issue.  I have Android 2.3 (latest), my firmware is updated and so are my PRL's.  Even my 4g (only available at work, not home) is slower.  I used to get about 8 mb download and 2.5 upload.  Now I am getting about 5 download and 1.5 upload (still acceptable).

I am considering calling customer support just to let them know it is more than the iphone.

I love Sprint (well the unlimited data), but have to say that if they cannot get more coverage on the 4g (whether it is wimax or LTE, I could care less), I may look at Verizon which is offering LTE everywhere in the entire Chicago area already. 

By the way, love the Evo, but I have to admit the new Droid Razr looks sweet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Stop your trollin!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Who's trollin??

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat