cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Looks like it got moderated out.

Anyone know: if I take my phone back to the Sprint store for a return, how long I have to wait before porting my number to avoid an ETF?

I also agree with everyone suggesting Sprint should extend their 14 day return deadline as, while I'm willing to wait a little bit to see if it improves and will HAPPILY stay if it does, I'm not going to get locked in for two years, or even a year of .1-.2 mbps down. Even with Sprint's great rates, I'd be spending a lot of money for a data plan that's pretty much unusable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also agree with everyone suggesting Sprint should extend their 14 day return deadline as, while I'm willing to wait a little bit to see if it improves and will HAPPILY stay if it does, I'm not going to get locked in for two years, or even a year of .1-.2 mbps down. Even with Sprint's great rates, I'd be spending a lot of money for a data plan that's pretty much unusable.

This is exactly my thinking. I only really have 2 more days to decide if I want to keep Sprint service, and right now if my choice is to chance that the speeds will get better or cancel and avoid the ETF I'll cancel it. If they gave us more time, however, I'd be glad to wait it out and see if it improves in the next few weeks.

Sprint, if you're listening, extend the return deadline for 30 days, or you're about to get a lot of people returning their phone in ~2 days time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Forbes just published an article about the slow 3G:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledia/2011/10/19/iphone-4s-strains-sprint-network/

Still on the fense though, I'm not a fan of Verizon or AT&T, but Sprint needs to address this with an official statement.

Also,The PC Mag article, see below, doesn't reference a source for the Sprint statement:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394831,00.asp#fbid=m_c-2CBRKdX

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting read on both articles.  I take it the way i read that the IPhone is bogging down the 3G service..Didn't this happen to AT@T when they came out with the 3 generation IPhone?  Also this should be another thread but, i just haven't seen any advertising for Sprint and the Iphone...Remember the big adverting that was done for the EVO.  Anyway back on topic here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nother thread in Network subforum with non-iphone people having the same issues:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/74729?start=15&tstart=0

One dude mentioned that it's been an issue for him since July or so. I think I may have simply not noticed till now because I've been on a very slow second hand phone for the last year since my Pre broke. Which also makes me think this is not a temporary issue and that it won't be fixed until network vision finally rolls out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not liking the wording of the article. Sounds like this problem could be a setup to get rid of unlimitted data. I could be wrong but it was celar as day between the lines 😕

Highlighted
Journeyman

Beeay - In case someone else didn't mention this --- your orig. post had one phone testing on oklahoma city, the other in temple, texas.

Furthermore, Speedtest.net tool is great, but just because one server is the closest to you does not mean it'll give you the best results.

Ex: If you live in Kansas City, the fastest result will actually be test server in Chicago --- not KC/St. Louis etc...

Highlighted
Wizard

For the past month and a half, I've been talking about the terrible speeds and how much worse it's going to get when a glut of 3G iphones drop onto the system.  Any idiot could have predicted this was going to happen when the speeds were ALREADY terrible before the iphone showed up.

So when Sprint's CFO said that their network was good to go, I knew that was BS.  I just have to wonder if people within Sprint were sitting around knowing that the S was going to hit the fan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok just talk to sprint customer service, they had me do a service update w/ the code ##873283#, and still slow as hell, they said that i had to restore my iphone to factory settings and i told them that has nothing to do with it, so they told me to take it in to get exchange maybe it was the phone, LOL/. I have done tests on a EVO i have on a separate line and the speeds just on 3g i get like 2mbps.....also has anybody gotten on the sprint logo on the taskbar sometimes mine changes and it says " Extended " what does that mean? does that mean im Roaming?.......well this slow data better change soon or im switching to and epic touch....

Highlighted
Wizard

TJUAREZ2 wrote:

Ok just talk to sprint customer service, they had me do a service update w/ the code ##873283#, and still slow as ****, they said that i had to restore my iphone to factory settings and i told them that has nothing to do with it, so they told me to take it in to get exchange maybe it was the phone, LOL/. I have done tests on a EVO i have on a separate line and the speeds just on 3g i get like 2mbps.....also has anybody gotten on the sprint logo on the taskbar sometimes mine changes and it says " Extended " what does that mean? does that mean im Roaming?.......well this slow data better change soon or im switching to and epic touch....

That ##UPDATE# nonsense seems to be what they are telling everyone.  It's like when you call customer service about your screwed up laptop, the first thing they say is to reboot it.  We know this doesn't make a difference.

Highlighted
Wizard

Mark my word everyone this thread will be the cause of the removal of Unlimited Data.

This is what Sprint told PC Mag.

"As always, Sprint is carefully monitoring the performance of the 3G network. We are looking into a small number of reports of slow data speeds when using the iPhone 4S, however there are also reports showing that Sprint’s network is the fastest, such as the Gizmodo report that came out earlier today. Speed tests represent a moment in time and are subject to many variables including weather, time of day, device, and proximity to a tower. Sprint will continue to monitor the feedback we are getting from our customers and will investigate and resolve any issues that may arise," the company said in a statement.

Soon Sprint will use these thread of 489 replies and exaggerate the News like many are reporting and will release the following Press release.

Due to the high demand of our iphone and complain from our Iphone costumers that we have seen reported on varies news website including our Sprint Community. We have notice that our costumer would rather have high speed than Unlimited Data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am located in upstate NY Triple Cities expirincing same dialup like speeds. Looks like it's going to blow up in a few days and Sprint will have to do something about it.

I will wait and see what happens. Very disapointing!

photo.PNG

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat