cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got home (32812) and ran a speed test here and it is the worst result yet!

Png: 1750 ms

DL: 0.00 Mbps

UL: .02 Mbps

Highlighted
Journeyman

I read one of your other posts- I'm also in Central Florida- I can't believe how S-L-O-W the data speeds are!

Journeyman

New Att to Sprint customer.

Zip: 27401

Avg Ping: 500ms

Avg DL: .3 Mbps

Avg UL: .01

Highlighted
Journeyman

wow... Sprint actually finally commented on this thread???

So what can someone on your paygrade share? Be sure to stay on topic though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mostly just to delete posts.

RP3081 wrote:

wow... Sprint actually finally commented on this thread???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Will,

It is nice to see a Site Admin post something on this  dreadfully long forum.  However, it would be nice if your post actually  provided some sort of update to the customers that pay your salary  instead of just posting to remind us to keep on "topic".

Highlighted
Journeyman

TBH im not surprised by the slow speeds. Months ago I decided it was the network, I had a Evo 4G that would not go over 600kbps in the day time. eventually it go so slow it would average 0.03mbps download. I rooted it, tried different speed test with various custom ROMs just to see no improvement in speed. I then traded it for a Nexus S, which also averaged roughly around 0.02-.05 mbps. Sold that phone and will try the iPhone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to everyone for posting your iPhone experience.  I might as well keep my EVO 3D and wait until the LTE network comes out.  I just hope it doesnt take the YEARS it took to get 4G in the SF Bay Area.  I visited a local Verizon store and compared my EVO 3D with their iPhone 4s.  The web page load was comparable on each.  The map search results where also fair.  Will I jump into the iPhone fray on Sprint?  HECK NO!  Not until I hear from you folks how everything is much much better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, it's bad in Florida in general.  I think Sprint has some serious backhaul issues in the state.  I work in Maitland and I was getting 2 mbps before 8 AM today. After 8, it was more like .01 - .02 mbps at best. When I got home (Lake Mary) tonight I was getting the same. Just tried a few minutes ago and I got 1.2 mbps.   It's also all 3G traffic, not just the iPhone.

Ken

annie8293 wrote:

I read one of your other posts- I'm also in Central Florida- I can't believe how S-L-O-W the data speeds are!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey all, quick update. Made the jump to AT&T today and am enjoying 2-3mbps average download speeds on speed test, as well as much faster page loads, etc. Got the new phone from the apple store and started the number porting process. Went to a sprint store to return my phone since i got it from them directly, and they refunded my hardware (no restocking fee!) but not my applecare. Said the applecare refund will be back in 10-14 days. So we'll see! In any event, when i told the rep my reason for returning it was the slow data speeds, he said that there was an official announcement that they were having a nationwide issue with iphones. So that sounds like the same thing that tech support has been telling people in this forum, but alas.

Unlimited data isnt valuable if you cant use it and I didnt want to miss my window to return the phone. If sprint is listening, they REALLY should extend the return window under these circumstances. I definitely would have given it another week or two if I wasnt under pressure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea that was the kicker for me too. when I called to complain to them I said not only am I paying $200 a month for crappy service, but there is a +$10 per line premium data fee and I get below dial up speeds. I told them i could theoretically plug in a pots line to my cell phone and get faster data speeds. lol

Also dont hold your breathe for those call backs. I cant tell you how many call backs I was promised that never happened.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is ridiculous - and before anyone says I am craving AT&T's 'new' higher speeds with the iPhone 4S, I'm really not.

I just want something fast enough to play Pandora, watch YouTube videos, and if I'm feeling REALLY lucky, maybe use the Netflix app.

As it stands right now, I can't even use Facebook. Pictures don't load. Statuses take forever. It is worse than dial up.

And it is the network - it isn't my location. In the dead of night, midnight and beyond, I can get almost 2mpbs. Once 7am, 8am, 9am start rolling around...things slow down. Way down.

As of right now I am getting 0.01-0.04mbps and same for upload (this has been my typical speed during the day since I got the phone on launch day on the 14th). Ping of about 600ms. Everything is unusable - forgetting WATCHING YouTube videos, I can't even SEARCH from within the app for videos. "Loading..." is all you get...

What good is paying for unlimited data if I can't use any of it?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat