Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

I still wanna know why in my area the Epic Touch with (4G turned off) consistently outperforms my iPhone 4S on Sprint 3G network.

I shot a quick video of the speedtest comparison.  Sorry it's a bit blurry and no audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRbBKbuqrsw

3gspeedtest3.pngphoto.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same here.

I was just hoping to get a reasonable speed. My co-worker was showing me a consistent DL of 1.7 mbps on Verizon. I have been getting approx. 0.1 to 0.3 mbps ever since 9:00 am. I do not think that this is too much to ask for. I talked to 2 represntatives and one tech support yesterday. They said that we should be seeing some improvements tonight ... yeah ..only lasting for 1~2 hours between 7 and 9 am. I was not even getting 1 mbps. It was close to 0.6 mbps and I was okay with it.

Even if Sprint could only maintain 1/3 of speed (approx. 0.6 mbps) consistently throughout the day, I will stay with it.

Not too sure about it now ... only 3 days left before my 14-day runs out. If Sprint intends to address this issue, it should extend everyone to a 30-day return ...

Highlighted
Wizard

SF9411Z wrote:

Same here.

I was just hoping to get a reasonable speed. My co-worker was showing me a consistent DL of 1.7 mbps on Verizon. I have been getting approx. 0.1 to 0.3 mbps ever since 9:00 am. I do not think that this is too much to ask for. I talked to 2 represntatives and one tech support yesterday. They said that we should be seeing some improvements tonight ... yeah ..only lasting for 1~2 hours between 7 and 9 am. I was not even getting 1 mbps. It was close to 0.6 mbps and I was okay with it.

Even if Sprint could only maintain 1/3 of speed (approx. 0.6 mbps) consistently throughout the day, I will stay with it.

Not too sure about it now ... only 3 days left before my 14-day runs out. If Sprint intends to address this issue, it should extend everyone to a 30-day return ...

Trust me... I wish I could believe that this is temporary with a short term fix.  However, speeds have been going downhill for months.  More and more people are activating iphones and they are all 3G so I can't help but feel like this is going to get worse before it gets better.  Honestly, assuming that there isn't a massive amounts of towers down all across the country, what exactly are they going to do to fix it short of upgrading their entire network?

Highlighted
Journeyman

For the Orlando folks, the rep called me right at 7 pm as he indicated and opened a new network ticket for me.  I was informed a tech would call me in the next three days, but probably tomorrow.  The rep then set up a time to call me back on Saturday night to see if the issue is resolved. My 14 days ends Sunday, so hopefully I'll get it fixed by Saturday night...or at least be provided with more information.

I've been impressed with Sprints reps, now I just want a working data plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

also, reminder to all of you who ware planning to use iTunes match on the go with the iphone.. it migh now work with sprint if they continue with these slow speeds.. i just tried iTunes Match(since im a developer..i have been having it.) and it doesnt work on 3g. it says to connect to wifi becuase its too slow..

also last night i was in class and i got close to 3mb a few times.. but then in the morning gone back down to .2mb

in santa monica california

Highlighted
Journeyman

More and more I think this is sheer network congestion, for example on my drive to work (7am), in downtown Orlando, I got a peak of 1.57Mpbps which is what u expect on a 3g network.  When I got to work it was ~1.0x, soon as 9am rolled around HUGE drop, down to 0.10mbps...  the data speaks for itself.  Many others have stated the same results as me, good number on the off hours, and poor numbers during the day.  I hope I am wrong cause there is no fix for network congestion but more towers...

Orlando 7:43pm test:

ping: 1229ms

DL: 0.03Mbps

UL: 0.21Mbps

Highlighted
Journeyman

My testing shows the samething.  I'm getting over a 1.2 mbps now and 2 hours ago I was at .2 at best.

It's the backhaul that needs upgrading.  The current T1's can't handle the volume - that's my guess.

RobBass407 wrote:

More and more I think this is sheer network congestion, for example on my drive to work (7am), in downtown Orlando, I got a peak of 1.57Mpbps which is what u expect on a 3g network.  When I got to work it was ~1.0x, soon as 9am rolled around HUGE drop, down to 0.10mbps...  the data speaks for itself.  Many others have stated the same results as me, good number on the off hours, and poor numbers during the day.  I hope I am wrong cause there is no fix for network congestion but more towers...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just returned my phone, the speed was rediculous ever since I got it last Friday. It took half an hour to download an app and a minute to open an email.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll run a test tomorrow when I get up at 5:30.  But at 6:30 this morning I had ~0.15 DL.

Highlighted
Journeyman

just wanted to post link to a YouTube video for thous who will be switching from Sprint

This guy runs a test on Verizon, Sprint and ATT iPhone 4S and you can clearly see that Sprint is the slowest 3G network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is unacceptable. I'm within my 14 days. I'm canceling my family plan tomorrow and returning my phones tomorrow. Back to t-mobile for me. These ass holes can even admit that there Is a problem, and we think they will fix it?

If they acknowledged the problem and said they were working on it, than I could respect that. But to say nothing is wrong and ignore your customers.... That's a good way to end up out of business.  Remember,it's all our money that pays the salarys of the people who are turning a blind eye.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sadly I returned my iphones tonight.  I wish Sprint could have provided faster 3g speeds on a consistent basis.  I can't justify paying for a data service getting the speeds I got in the Chicago area.  It seems like others have had better luck in some locations, but for me it is back to my dumb phone.  I'm sticking with Sprint for now because of their great coverage, but this isn't a very positive experience.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat