cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just decided to give sprint a call and the first rep i talked to said its a known issue and they are working on it. So who knows. Im getting .04 down and .00 up. Fun times. Just 15 minutes south of chicago.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I'm on the phone with a rep. Apparently there may be an outage that I'm part of... REALLY?! Told him about the visual voice mail issues as well. He has been pretty silient to be honest. BTW ##873283# will do the OTA update for you if you want to try it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tested again on the San Francisco server, and I'm getting 1.13 down and .71 up.  Slower, but still faster than my previous 0.02mbps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm going to keep a tight watch on this. I have about 7 more days in my 14 day return window.  If it goes down, I'm thinking about AT&T.  They are more expensive, but the 20% discount from my work evens it out more. 

Darkan7 wrote:

Glad it worked for you, but I am on 3G (verified with Field Test) and the speeds are terrible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Completely reset my phone, had to connect to iTunes to reactivate, had trouble doing that.

Did the OTA update.

Still trying to download the speedtest app. More and more this seems like a spectrum problem if you ask me. 18kbps down and 458kbps up doesn't seem right...

Highlighted
Journeyman

251ms Ping: .17Mbps download: .49Mbps Upload

Highlighted
Journeyman

116ms - 0.16Mbps Down - 0.49Mbps Up

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ooo EVEN BETTER!!!

455ms - 56kbps Down - 295kbps Up....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got off the phone with Sprint support.  The first tech admitted that there is a tower problem specifically not handling iPhone traffic correctly and they are fixing it.  I asked him to do a OMA update for me anyways.  He said that would just refresh my profile.  He made me turn off the phone, did an update, restart the phone did ##UPDATE#, after all this, I am still getting terrible speed. 

0.23Mbps dl 0.00Mbps up 719ms ping

He transferred me to a level I supervisor.  She totally denied there is a problem with Sprint and iPhone, she said I should call Apple because this a known problem with all iPhone 4S, they should all get bad data speed.  I told her I tried at&t iPhone 4S and getting good speed, then she said I should take it to a repair center.  I told her I am getting good speed after midnight, it cannot be a hardware problem, she said there is nothing she can do.  I wonder what is the process for Sprint to promote someone to supervisor position.  The ability to BS or how fast can they can get the customer off their tech support line?

I am glad at least the first person seems knowledgable but his supervisor is either totally ignorant or just lying through her teeth to get me off the call. 

FirstContact wrote:

woulda been nice if you posted the steps .. in case we get on of those reps that doesnt know what the ____ is OMAupdate.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I was in the same boat you guys were for a few days too... below is what I am seeing.  It gets better just give it time. 

photo-11.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

I certainly hope so.  I wish they just came out and tell customer they have identified the problem and they are fixing it.  Where in Dallas you are getting this speed?

bkw918 wrote:

Well I was in the same boat you guys were for a few days too... below is what I am seeing.  It gets better just give it time. 

photo-11.PNG

Highlighted
Journeyman

In Athens, GA -

ping 310ms

Down 0.16Mbps

Up 0.26Mbps

I had to restart the phone to even get a 3g signal.

Initially after activating the iPhone I had sim failure - Sprint rep told me to restore the phone (after he checked Apple's support site) and an Apple rep told me to pull it (Sprint being CDMA). Apple rep was right on that one, pulled the sim, looked it over and it matches examples of a bad sim card. My point is - Sprint reps know little or nothing about Apple hardware at this point, so if you're calling in and being told that this is an Apple hardware/iOS issue by a Sprint rep it's bull****. Something is up on Sprint's end, and at their own peril have failed to put out a press release/admit it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat