cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

It must have me taken at least six ##UPDATE#s and power cycles to get decent data again (DL = 0.59) after resetting network connections:

Highlighted
Journeyman

that is not true...I was offered that and they did not need to renew my contract...Oh the crap they say..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just ran 3 more tests that clocked in at 1726, 1156, and 1397 kbps download at 10:05am today.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went from 35 kbps with a ping of 1272 ms to 849 kbps with a ping of 126 ms after resetting network settings...  Fingers crossed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since receiving my iPhone 4s I have been to a sprint store and made complaints to the sprint chat on 2 separate occasions. The guy in the sprint store admitted he had heard about the problem and when I showed him my speeds he was actually shocked and said he didn't realize it was that bad. He even took my phone to other employees in the store and showed them my results and said "see this is what I was telling you about." I had done the update thing several times in the past but it never did anything to increase my speeds. One of the reps I chatted with even had the nerve to tell me that based on Gizmodo tests, sprint had the fastest network. I then promptly linked him to the ongoing gizmodo test that shows sprint speeds to be about 0.7 Mbps nationwide and Verizon/ATT with mught higher results. He went on to tell me that the speed in my area based on the towers should be around 0.5 Mbs. I did not know in the past that the reps could tell you what speeds to expect in your area. I told him that this was not acceptable and that if it was not fixed by Friday I would be leaving Sprint (have been a sprint customer 10+ years). He told me the technichians were working on it but he had no estimated time for the fix. Last night I did one last update to see if it would help and if things were the same then I would be returning the phone today and switching over to Verizon.

Before update

photo(1).PNG

After last ditch update....

photo.PNG

Looks like I may be keeping my phone if the speeds keep up today.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ive been getting incredibly slow 3g speeda in the southern ca area (anaheim, costa mesa, L.A., etc.) since the day the iphone came out. 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know everyone is complaining about speeds.. and advertise speeds say UP TO 3MBPS. Up to... Up to.. Key Word.. UP TO .

how much are you REALLY suppose to get.

I would like to hear a actually number.. I don't want to hear about how fast AT&T is. Or Verizon is. I don't want to hear about how fast their iphones is on those networks.

I just want you to give me a exactly number that you should be getting by Spints on wording, and lets be clear, If you heard 3 mbps or UP TO 3mbps.

I ask because if a car dealer tells you that you can go from 0 to 60 in UP TO 3 seconds, but it takes you UP TO 4 seconds. was that dealer lying to you. Heres a thought. what if you went from 0 to 60 in 1 second.. hmmmm what then..

Comment, as you see fit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is one thing when it is not as fast as other networks, but it is completely different when the network is not really even usable. My phone was consistently taking over 1 minute to load the mobile web version of the sprint web page, mobile cnn, mobile fox news. Siri was not working 75% the time due to network connection issues.

So let's compare this it to car speeds. Would you be happy if it took your car 2 minutes just to back out of the driveway and then 10 minutes to drive 2 miles on the highway? I mean it still works so we have no right to complain....right?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is My Story

Coming from Verizon where you have a maximun of 2.00mbps with an Iphone 4 , I decide to break my contract with Verizon and move to Sprint because of the price. I was paying $120.00 for a single phone with internet ONLY , no Text messages.

After testing the phone on the release date, I decide to move my line to Sprint and get a Family Plan with 2 Iphones (1 Iphone 4s 32GB and 1 Iphone 4 8Gb). After 1 day my speed start to decrease, having some times speed up to 0.02Mbps Hallarious!

I call customer support, and they did some field test with my phones , and they open a ticket, at that time they didn't admit there was a issue with his network, they deny every problem on their side.

Photo Oct 20, 1 30 32 PM.png

At that point I really don't know what to do or where to go, I was with T-mobile, Verizon and Spring, and I will never go with ATT, and the problem is , that I break my contract with Verizon to move to Sprint, I was in shock blaming my self for doing that.Well, after 4 days a tech support call me , and ask me to give him some information and he admit they have a problem on his network and they are doing the best they can to fix it.

This is my Speed Test Now

Photo Oct 21, 10 37 43 AM.png

Going from 0.02Mbps to 1.14Mbps is a really good sign they are trying to do things right. You have to give a little time to let them fix the problem. Sprint is not a Cheap company like Criket or Simply Mobile.

I'm really glad they fix the problem and have this wonderful plans anyone can beat !!!

Take a coffe , read a newspaper and let Sprint Engeniers work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously how do I stop notifications for my email?

I clicked my username in the grey bar, then preferences, then email notifications and turned everything to "no" but I am still receiving them. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

You must delete the post you are subscribed to. Or go to the top right corner, under ACTIONS, click Stop email notifications

Highlighted
Journeyman

You have to switch over to Verizon

ToWhateverEnd wrote:

Seriously how do I stop notifications for my email?

I clicked my username in the grey bar, then preferences, then email notifications and turned everything to "no" but I am still receiving them. Any suggestions?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat