cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

So here is what a Sprint rep told me afer talking to him.....somewhat reassuring

1. Nationwide ticket

3. He said that if he had to guess it has to be something with the modem firmware / antenna and how it picks towers. I think that this might explain why for some people, it's totally fine. In fact, it seems like the more people are away from a bunch of towers, the more consistent and better their speeds are. It's in congested areas (no shit) where it's more of a problem. I think the .5/.6 speeds are a result of congestion. The .1/.2 speeds I think might have to do with this antenna thing.

4. Sprint is working on it WITH apple to figure this out. This is also reassuring (slightly).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Guys make sure you call and get a CTMS number.  When I called Wednesday I was told Nationwide outage we will get back to you Friday at noon.  Well noon came and went so I called based on another posters recomendation, there was NO ticker created so as far as they were concerned everything was fine with me... So the guy, really nice guy, went through basic troubleshooting and then created a CTMS ticket for me, a field engineer will be calling me with 72 hours, more like 24 hours he said.  So call and make sure they open a ticket for you!  He said 50% of his calls are iPhone 4S slow data related...

For Orlando folks, was also told a data tower is down and is supposed to be online within 24 hours...

Details:  It's all speculation but the rep said they have many 3G non apple customers who are getting the advertised 3G data speeds, the problem is related to the iPhone and they do have Apple involved.  Other interesting tidbit is that he said the issue has cleared up for some iPhone users, but no "fix" has been pushed out.  I think those are the folks that may be fooled by faster, but temporary, data speeds.  Just this morning I was over 1.0Mbps, now I am .11Mbps... wish folks would be more diligent than saying yeah I have no issues... or it is "fixed"

And I can't stress this enough, when you call get/insist on a ticket number, this is the only metric that will show how widespread the issue is in each region.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It was a good run Sprint, 7 years, but the slow data speed experience with my wife & I's new iPhones motivated me to switch providers. I signed up with ATT today and decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy II. The data speeds are great and the phone is exceptional.

I wish Sprint and all those who stick with them well. Hopefully they will get this thing worked out, but for me it was time to move on...

Highlighted
Journeyman

RobBass407,

I was provided with a network ticket and told a tech would be contacting me within 3 days as weel, but probably with 24 hours.  I'm coming up on 48 hours and no call yet.  The rep is supposed to give me a courtsey follow up call tomorrow night to see if my issue has been resolved.  As of now, I've determined it really depends upon where I am.  I'm not sure if it s a Sprint tower, but there are guys working on a cell tower 20 yards from my place of work.  If something improves, then I'll know it is a Sprint tower.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I still having a hard time beliving that the Iphone is causing the slower 3G speeds, i was searching the android forums and found this thread about slow 3G speeds and this was back in Sept 1 being the last post, so i dont think this is new.  Like others have posted like me my EVO on 3G is the same for the IPhone for upload and download for speeds.  So if my post sticks or get deleated by the Mods oh well.  Here is the link.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/108891-why-3g-speed-tests-so-slow-5.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I confirmed through my employer that Ericsson employees are currently working on the cell tower outside my place of work here in Winter Park and a Google search revealed that Ericsson is under contract with Sprint to maintain cell towers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well that is good and bad, he said the timeframe was dependent on the number of tickets, I assume your 48 hours without a call means a ton of tickets!  He did say that cell tower was supposed to be back online already but the ticket was still open.  He said it went down the same weekend as the iPhone launch (last weekend) around the 16th.  The information is all speculation, the tower issue contradicts a problem with the device since other 3G devices are working fine.  I honestly think Sprint and Apple are still baffled.  But then the last poster has info on other 3G devices being slow

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ericsson manages Sprint's network today and they are handling Network Vision upgrade for the Southeast portion of the country.

UCF1994 wrote:

Well, I confirmed through my employer that Ericsson employees are currently working on the cell tower outside my place of work here in Winter Park and a Google search revealed that Ericsson is under contract with Sprint to maintain cell towers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

on the website.. on your computer

top right.. select stop email notifications

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, the Ericsson employees have been out there 30 minutes or so, and now I have no 3G and my bars keep jumping all over the map from 1 to 5.  It also keeps jumping from "Sprint" to "Extended."  Now if I can get them to look into the one by my house

Highlighted
Journeyman

haha. i like how you started your post

it was a good run SPRINT, 7 years.... sounding like that guy in HANCOCK, when he losing his powers and they were going to do Hancock in at the hospital.

Thats how it sounded in my head reading your post. i could actually hear the guys voice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been watching this thread as I am thinking about upgrading to the 4S...currently have the SamsungTransform which has been pretty terrible.

Can I do this same ##update thing on my phone?  or does anyone know how I would do this on my phone since my 3g speed has been awful.

Also, does speedtest.net pick servers that are far away?  I'm in the Philly area and have had DC and MN picked before, but this will fix if I turn on GPS/location.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat