cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

I have been a sprint customer for a very long time and have been very happy with the service I have been receiving. When I learned the sprint was getting the iPhone I was very excited, since I am a Mac user and own an iPad, the iPhone would have been a natural fit into my electronic world. Fortuntunately I did not run out and buy one right away. And now since I have been monitoring this feed I'm glad I waited. I live in Orlando, FL and have been checking data speeds with my galaxy epic 4g for the last week. With 4g on I get between 3mbps and 5mbps. With 4g off and only using 3G I get between 0.00 and 0.3 up. I never used the speediest before this last week so I can't say for sure what the speeds were before the iPhone, but I can tell you that 4g doesn't work inside buildings so when my phone switched to 3G the speeds were all but unusble. I don't have Internet at my warehouse and rely on mobile hotspot for my Internet needs, I have to place my phone next to a window in order the receive 4g to get a usable signal. I don't believe that this is an iPhone specific problem in my area, the 3G speeds here have been terrible for a long time. So it looks like I will be an android user until a 4g iPhone comes out.

On a side note , yesterday at around 3pm I did a speed test on a friends Verizon iPhone 4 and got .25 up and .1 down.

Journeyman

Downtown Walnut Creek, CA. I just got 1987k down and 80k up. Very impressed. Still, I'm only getting 80k down and 100k up at my house a few miles away.

Looks like Sprint 3G is working extremely well in pockets of the East Bay. Still haven't tried it in SF yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting, I should come over there and try it out. I'm not far from you. I'm in Concord and getting 0.8 down, tops. Even with full signal. And after doing the update code.

Journeyman

In SF, I'm getting .50 Mbpg download, .43 Mbps upload.  Pathetic.

- Jon

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Saturday night in Montrose area of Houston, TX results: 252 kilobyte download and 77 kilobyte upload.

Journeyman

Sprint just told me that San Francisco has an OUTTAGE - that they have a tower down - starting on the 18th.  They are full of crap because my speeds have been slow since I got the 4S on the 14th.

- Jon

Journeyman

About 80 miles north of Orlando:

From October 14 until yesterday, I had dismal 3G speeds on the 4S- never more than 160kbps download. Did the ##update# several times, finally got to more than 1mbps, which I had during non-peak hours yesterday- from about 3am until noon. For the rest of the day, the speed fluctuated, but never went below 400kbps. I was not thrilled, given that my iPad on AT&T consistently provided 3G speeds about 3x's faster. However, the speed on the 4S was better than I had seen in the past week or so.

Now, today, I'm back to 200kbps maximum download speed.

I've now learned that this issue most definitely appears to be a Sprint network problem, as my phone is obviously capable of producing higher 3G speeds.

SPRINT, WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED? My 14 day return period ends this Friday, and if the issues are not solved, I WILL BE GOING TO AT&T for the iPhone!!!

Journeyman

Jon_SF wrote:

Sprint just told me that San Francisco has an OUTTAGE - that they have a tower down - starting on the 18th.  They are full of **** because my speeds have been slow since I got the 4S on the 14th.

- Jon

Sprint will always tell you a tower is down when you call about a problem.

Journeyman

Definitely starting to see better speeds in the peek hours here in Pembroke Pines, FL 33026. I have no doubt in my mine that it will get better, I had a rep from a call back tell me that they will be upgrading 4 towers in my area in the next 3 - 4 months and i should start to see better speeds with the first upgrade on November 1. It appears they are have an issue with the way the network traffic is flowing to the towers. I think i'll stick it out, as long as i can get enough bandwidth to at least stream a youtube video without buffering i'll be happy. I figure ultimately Sprint has too much money invested in the iPhone to have a network issue affect those sales, they have no choice than to resolve this issue. It will get better folks.

Journeyman

Like yesterday, here in 32812 my data speeds declined around noon to about 290 Kkbps.  If it is like yesterday, they will begin to increase again after 6pm.  I called once more just now and was advised that this is a known issue and that a second network ticket would be opened.  I was never given the status of the first ticket which was opened.  I was also notified that there is no "clear date" for the issue in my area.

Journeyman

Replying to myself here... but I did the ##update# two more times. Did not see any change in speeds at the time, but now, about 2 hours later, have 1.73mbps download. Others have said that this update is a temporary fix. I really hope that it becomes a permanent fix soon. The higher 3G speeds are possible, but for whatever reason, they are NOT consistent.

Journeyman

I'm in Orlando as well,and similar to TCMOF I have been with Sprint for a while and was excited about the iPhone 4S since I also have a MAC and an iPad. I actually got the phone on the 14th but have since returned it due to the amazing speeds we all have been encountering. I tested my friends iPhone 4 on AT&Ts network and it was getting over 5Mbps download! My contract ends in December and I'm switching to AT&T. Sorry Sprint, it's been fun...not really.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat