Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Here in SE California it is crawling.  This morning I did get 1.03 down in a 7/11 but now back down to sub .40 speeds.  It was even slower in Palm Springs where I got the phone.  Losing patience.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok I just moved like 60 meters and now I'm up to .87 down, above avg Netflix video quality, and I just did the ##update#

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here are the results here in chicago at O'hare intl airport. nonexistant data speed. Taken 5 min ago at 17:02...

Picture.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

Might just be coincidence, anyone notice a drop when they switch from wifi to 3g and vice versa? 

This weekend my speeds have been all over the place from an amazing 2.0Mbps this morning to a lowly .20Mbps at completely random times of the day.  As much as this sucks, I am going to stick with Sprint.  I am a casual user, data, while kick ass is not critical for me.  A similar plan at Verizon, from whom I came from, is 80 bucks more a month with a 2GB data cap, I know this for a fact as I did a comparison before making the switch.  Over 2 years that is close to 2k, data is not worth 2k to me, for others, it may very well be. FWIW with all the random speeds I get in a given day, at work, I can still stream music, use Siri, even Netflix loads, albeit crappy, and I can do all my normal texting, the voice quality is also excellent.  So I won't be returning the iPhone, but I do hope Sprint gets this squared away in the near term, I am tired of worry about it, time to enjoy my first "real" phone.  I'll still post updates in case anything changes.    

Speak of the devil, Sprint rep just called me, man their customer service has been solid ever since I called to report this, at least 4 calls this wekend to let me know they are still working the issue.  He said my ticket has been added to the nationwide ticket, he named a few southeast states along with Cally & NY as the states that are having issues.  But no ETA...

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are a number of reasons for the poor speeds-

1. Sprints towers don't have fast enough pipes to the internet.   This is pretty easy to equate as the speed doesn't change much whether I check at 5AM or 5PM - how many people in Los Angeles are streaming movies at 5AM?   I still only get 200-400k at 5AM.

2. Sprint has idiots in their data centers.   Proxy servers when configured properly can signficantly increase your speeds for cached data and shouldn't significantly slow your speed when going for fresh data.   I get about 2x to 2.5x the speed when I hack my phone and bypass sprint's proxy servers.

3. Sprint figures they can offer unlimited data if they have your bandwidth throttled from the first megabyte to the last.   How much data can you download if you are trying to get it through a hose with a kink in it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can u post the proxy hack?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Idz21 wrote:

Can u post the proxy hack?

I can't claim credit for the hack - you'll find this in a few places on the web.   It works for the Sprint Epic Touch 4G among other phones but I do not have an iphone 4s to tell if this hack is applicable to the 4s.   I can tell you, I was thrilled I found it as it almost makes speeds tolerable as it is 2 to 2.5 times faster.    Almost tolerable until I run speedtests on my friends phones who have other carriers that get 4 to 10 times the speeds I get (even using a hacked phone).  

However, if Sprint was willing to pay me to diagnose and fix their infrastructure, I'd be happy to do so.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/121885-how-increase-sprint-epic-4g...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I returned my today.. ill get a check in 2 weeks cuz they couldnt put it back into my card for some reason at the store... but hell at least im out.. now im just waiting for my att order i did from apple online... i should have never left in the first place.. good luck to everyone that will stick it out with dprint.. i really wanted sprint to work! too bad!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or it is just me. Over the last day or so I am no longer getting the 3g icon even in an area with plenty of 3g service. Still absolutely god awful speeds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just spoke with someone at Sprint. He stated that in my area possible other areas there is BLOCKED DATA. This is going on until 735pm CST tomorrow. He also stated that there is a problem with dropped calls with the iPhone. I really hope the data is being blocked as they are working on the towers. Anyway, I should know sometime tomorrow.

Highlighted
Wizard

annie8293 wrote:

Replying to myself here... but I did the ##update# two more times. Did not see any change in speeds at the time, but now, about 2 hours later, have 1.73mbps download. Others have said that this update is a temporary fix. I really hope that it becomes a permanent fix soon. The higher 3G speeds are possible, but for whatever reason, they are NOT consistent.

AFAIK, the ##update# is a PRL update.  This means it tells the phones what providers to use in the area and in what order.  If you're not moving around, running it multiple times shouldn't make a difference.  If you're getting a solid Sprint signal, it also probably wouldn't make much of difference.

Another thing to consider is that Sprint could have set up their PRL based on what would be cheapest for them... not necessarily fastest for you.  Not saying that this is the way they did it, but it's extremely likely in some areas.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Today I returned my 2 iphones 64GB to the Sprint store. In sprint store they didn't work sny faster. The young guy I spoke with was an arogant. I said that I have a lot of dropped calls and very low speed of internet. He said only: "OK" and took phones. During returning I said that even in Sprint store Iphone is working slow and He said: "IPHONES ARE USUALLY SLOW PHONES" I said: Whaaaat? I speak about internet speed and dropped calls. I was testing these phones in many places in Jacksonville inside and outside and there is a poor reception ans slow speed of internet. And he said: "You are entitled to have your own opinion" Hahahaha

GOOD BYE SPRINT ----- FOREVER!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat