Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm getting .32 Mbps down, .08 Mbps up in San Francisco.

I'm done.

I hate to do it, but I'm going back to AT&T.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Well, today was the best day since I got the iPhone here in Winter Park (32789), but nothing to jump up and down about.  Where previously I would begin getting less than 200 kbps downloads at 9:30 am, it didn't occur until about noon today.  Prior to that, DLs were between 200 and 450 kbps. 

ULs have went from 30 kbps to 10 kbps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

At around 10-1030am these were the sppeds I was getting in New York Cityhttp://www.speedtest.net/iphone/159455840.pnghttp://www.speedtest.net/iphone/159461594.png

Outside about noon got these speeds. I will agree that they should increase backhaul which they will with network vision. But these speeds aren't bad for EVDO 3G http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/159486402.pnghttp://www.speedtest.net/iphone/159487076.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would agree. 

The network speeds are certainly getting better, at least in my area (01760), just outside Boston.  Last week the speeds were mostly in ~200kbps DL but most of my tests today are solidly in ~800kbps range. 

Not quite ATT speeds but at least we're moving in the right direction

Highlighted
Journeyman

In 32789, my DL speeds are all over the place right now, ranging from .25 Mbps to 1.03 Mbps.  I just wish it would consistently get closer to the 1.0 Mbps.  I never got any speeds over .30 during the middle of the day all of last week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

boe_d wrote:

Idz21 wrote:

Can u post the proxy hack?

I can't claim credit for the hack - you'll find this in a few places on the web.   It works for the Sprint Epic Touch 4G among other phones but I do not have an iphone 4s to tell if this hack is applicable to the 4s.   I can tell you, I was thrilled I found it as it almost makes speeds tolerable as it is 2 to 2.5 times faster.    Almost tolerable until I run speedtests on my friends phones who have other carriers that get 4 to 10 times the speeds I get (even using a hacked phone).  

However, if Sprint was willing to pay me to diagnose and fix their infrastructure, I'd be happy to do so.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/121885-how-increase-sprint-epic-4g...

This is interesting. I wonder if the iphone is using different ports that all the other devices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got off with Sprint customer service.  I was going to request to return the phone, but decided I would hold off until thursday. 

When I spoke with the representative, they clearly know their is a widespread issue with the iPhone.  The rep proceeded to say that they are working to resolve the issues by region and asked where I was located.  He asked me to the the ##update# (which I have done every day) with no improvement.

He said his supervisor wanted to speak with me, who proceeded to tell me they are aware of the issues and 'it will be fixed by noon on Thursday'.  I dont believe him and think they are just trying to hold people as long as possible until a) they find a solution or b) customersare stuck with ETF.

I also made sure to tell him that I am constantly getting GRPS indoors and poor 3G service outdoors.  I told him I just ran a test and got 50 kbps, which is horrible compared to my EVO which just got 250 kbps on a test run at the same exact time.

In the end, I have until Friday to return the phone with no ETF.

Everyone needs to call in and complain.  Without calling, there is little incentive to do anything...

Highlighted
Journeyman

michaelg_1970 wrote:

" or b) customers are stuck with ETF ".

I think you've nailed it. If these phones aren't returned within the 14 day period Sprint will not budge on the ETF. For those you wanting to "stick it out" hoping your speeds will improve - do yourselves a favor, return your phone now before the 14 days are up. Once the problem is fixed (if the problem is fixed) go get another one.

Journeyman

People are saying AT&T speeds are so much better but thats definitely not the case for me. My AT&T iphone 4 speeds are crap most of the time. Off peak hours its ok but anytime during the day its extremely slow. I put my phone on EDGE just to get anything done because many times 3G just times out. AT&T is notoriously bad in NYC, all my friends with AT&T say the same thing so I know its not just my phone. Even with all the complaints you guys are posting here im still going to try the Sprint iphone when its back in stock. If its bad then I'll return it but hopefully the situation will be resolved by then.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone that has returned their phone still monitoring this board? I returned mine and was credited for the hardware, but was told that the applecare would be credited at the end of my statement cycle. Doesnt really make sense since I cancelled the entire line and shouldnt even get a statement. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, switched to AT&T and couldnt be happier. Sorry Sprint, I really wanted you to work out well

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I returned my iPhone on Saturday.  I was told that Sprint is just a reseller of AppleCare and that Apple has to do the refund. I spoke with Apple (Sprint connected me) after I returned my phone.  They are sending me a check for the refund.  Apple said they couldn't refund through Sprint.  We'll see what happens.  They gave me a case number to follow up with.

You also need the iPhone serial number before specking with Apple.  Good luck.

marcman0713 wrote:

Is anyone that has returned their phone still monitoring this board? I returned mine and was credited for the hardware, but was told that the applecare would be credited at the end of my statement cycle. Doesnt really make sense since I cancelled the entire line and shouldnt even get a statement. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, switched to AT&T and couldnt be happier. Sorry Sprint, I really wanted you to work out well

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey how fast did they put the money back into ur card? They told me I couldn't get back into my card for some reason... And I payed with my card when I preorderd.. I have to wait 2 weeks for a check..sucks ass

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat