Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

yes, it is a good article.  so what do you think is the prognosis?  I'm not going to give up my sprint unlimited grandfathered in plan going back many many years for something that is going to be imperfect for too long of a time... I'll just keep my old plan and the phone I have....even the sprint people say don't give up that plan...I'll never get it back. 

(I've been mac since 1985, and probably among the few of the mac devotees  without an iphone, but sprint has been fine for us...more than fine... better than any other carrier-- 14 years or something like that..so I just skipped the iphone, saying I'll wait 'til sprint gets it.  So now I'm on the waiting list (no hurry), but when it arrives, I'm not so anxious to take on all these problems, when what I have (not a smart phone, great service, no dropped calls, everything unlimited included data which includes unlimited texting for a teenager..... $100 a month for 3 people, etc. etc. )

You may remember that when apple some time back had some new system all the iphone and ipod people tried to get on all at once.  News stories had it that it took hours and hours for updates.  No one predicted apples demise because of it, or bolted back to windows... they just bitched.  Any one with any sense just waited a bit, and everything turned out ok.   There's no system in the world that can take so many millions of people setting up etc. at one time.

Don't you think the headlines that apple and sprint are working on this mean anything? 

still in doubt in SoCal

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dang, this thread has lost a lot of momentum... I wonder if it's because the people that complained left to AT&T or Verizon?

Highlighted
Journeyman

UCF1994, glad to see your speeds hanging in there, seems almost to be getting worse for me in Jax.

@32225 around 5:11pm today

Ping 132ms

DL: 0.32 mbps

UL: 0.04 mbps

just ran speed test before and after ##update# at my house about 12 miles north from my work earlier.

32218 before update 9:30pm

ping 193ms

DL 0.36mbps

UL 0.03 mbps

then at 9:46pm

ping 615ms

DL 0.06

UL 0.03

now after update#

32218 at 10:16pm

ping 430ms

DL 0.07

UL 0.01

Highlighted
Journeyman

ServiceNeeded - I think your onto something. Maybe the 1000th post is from someone from Sprint acknowledging a problem, a solution and a date when it will all be solved. Naaahhh - just being optimistic. Last post for me  as I'm waiting for my other three Iphone 4S's from Verizon to arrive. Good luck everyone but don't wait too long because a two year contract with crappy service is a long time to wait!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It has nothing to do with all the new iPhone users on the network.  It has been terrible here in Louisville, Ky. for at least a year.  I rarely get over .5mb and I have tested it all over the city.  I am using an Epic4g and will be giving Sprint 100 bucks for my ETF soon.  I can't handle the slowness.  I stream (well try to) a lot of music from home and it skips and buffers like crazy. 

Journeyman

This will get better. I understand some people are impatient or scared to go past the 14 days and feel trapped but i do believe this will get better over time. Sprint has never seen this much activitity of data all at once and the network just wasnt ready for it. Simple as that. Many people here are already reporting getting better speeds than last week and it will gradually increase over time. It will never be speeds of AT&T but it will get to usuable respectable speeds. Whether Sprint has publicly acknowldged the problem or not they are aware of it and are working to fix it. One guy said he had his iphone for 2 days and then returned it. Come on, a problem like this isnt going to get fixed overnight.

Highlighted
Patron

"It will never be speeds of AT&T but it will get to usuable respectable speeds"

If it will never have the speed of AT&T whats the point of staying with Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Different technologies. ATT has hspa+ capable iphone 4s which is faster now than verizon or sprint b/c of the difference from cdma and gsm. when the next gen iphone comes with LTE capable chips and sprint and verizon have their networks rolling out for that (verizon already rolling it out slowly) then they will surpass att. if you don't mind waiting then it will be worth it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe it will get better too. But I am not willing to wait. I returned my phone yesterday after another day of sub 0.10 speeds for most of the day. Sprint can't afford to mess this up, so they will fix it and it will take some time. I am not patient, so I am out. Everyone situation is different. I will actually not jump to AT&T or Verizon, but simply stay with my old T-Mobile phone for a little while until this situation is a little bit clearer. I might just wait for the iPhone 5 next year sometime, by then it should be better, but their unlimited plan might only be for those that stucked around and are grandfathered in, if they change it like AT&T and Verizon did.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

I suspect that this thread has lost some steam only because the pages on this particular site (and thread) have been either timing out or not loading.  One day left to get out of that contract.  Coinicidence?

Anyway, the data network speed on my iPhone has been painfully slow like everyone else.  I called Sprint support and ultimatley they had me waste my time re-setting the network setting and doing the ## update.  I also hear (my first of 3 times calling to complain) the typical "tower" is down. Nonsense. 

Sprint should go public and ADMIT that there is a problem and reaasure us that a fix is on the way.  Give us a TARGET DATE that this will happen and do your darndest to meet it. At least THEN we'll know your putting in an effort to fix this. Otherwise, I WILL NOT....(hear that Sprint?: WILL NOT) consider this acceptable.  As a matter of fact, if I remain on for two more years, I will demand a refund for lost services/services promised but not delivered, till they get this right.  We'll see where that goes.

This just might be the final nail in Sprint's coffin.  It's up to them to right it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

im not a iphone user on this network but i wanted to put my two cents in since I do have a sprint phone and had one for over 8 years.... since the iphone launched on this network data speeds across the board have been below average at best and i did a few speed checks tonight on my evo, it is definitely way slower data wise.  Sprint needs to get their act together and upgrade its capacity soon.... this is no good at all

Highlighted
Wizard

I've been checking these threads regularly, different times of day. The site and thread loads fine. Maybe it just does that because you are trying to load it on your new iPhone... Or more likely, Sprint has been doing this to you and others who are nearing the time limit on their returns on every computer or device you may use to access the site/thread. They are tracking you. So, No coincidence. (Should I have used the sarcasm font, or is it obvious enough?)

Robcourt91 wrote:

I suspect that this thread has lost some steam only because the pages on this particular site (and thread) have been either timing out or not loading.  One day left to get out of that contract.  Coinicidence?

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat