Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Journeyman

Is there anybody on here in the Philadelphia area that can comment on their 4S speeds?

Journeyman

That # seems to represent the Rx AGC0 value from the *3001#12345#* field test menu.  Although, as the Rx AGC0 number fluctuates, the # in the top left stays the same.  The top left value on my phone did go from -78 to -74 for me from the time I went into the menu & about 5 seconds later (this is with 4 bars).  The other values of any meaning I have set on my phone are (under 1xEV-DO):

Channel: 675

Band Class: 1.8 to 2.0GHz PCS band

I haven't had issues with my speeds.  I'm usually around the 1 Mbps mark in both Upload & Download in Northern NJ.

Darkan7 wrote:

That number is signal strength in dB.

Here's something I found relating to that.

below is a chart (estimate only) of signal ranges.

Full Signal:-70 or lower

Optimal signal:-70 to -75

Fair signal:-75 to -85

poor signal: -85 or higher

Journeyman

Darkan7 wrote:

That can't be right, because mine says -87.  I have 3 bars and DL speeds of 1.4+

Journeyman

UCF1994 wrote:

Darkan7 wrote:

That can't be right, because mine says -87.  I have 3 bars and DL speeds of 1.4+

Interesting .. mine was -0.99 yet I had 3 bars on my phone for signal. DL speeds at the time were .01

Journeyman

As stated in my post, it was an estimate only.  Perhaps different signal frequencies have different ranges of acceptable signal strength.  I couldn't say, I'm not an RF Engineer.  I just googled and found that chart.  I do know for certain though that the lower the number, the higher the strength.

Journeyman

I just returned my iphone 4s only after having it only 3 days. My download speeds were .01 which is horrible. Im going to verizon.

Journeyman

I returned my iphone to sprint i will be going to verizon because i cant deal with .01 download speeds. I was able to watch an entire football game(3 hours) and a application i was downloading was not even done yet. The nasties speeds i seen in my entire life. 2g(edge) is faster han that. 1x is almost better lol

Journeyman

I think they have to many users. They underestimated demand. At 4am, my service was perfect. Download speeds ranging from 1.5MBPS to 2.9MBPS. Then as a normal day begun and people actually woke up to use the network, it has been dropping. been like this for four days now. .02MPBS to .03MBPS is my average speed during the day. Peaks at .04MBPS from time to time.

speed.PNG

Journeyman

I just tested iPhone 4 vs. 4S -

My 4S has absolutely no data. The 4 has some. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTMOCOBhw8

Journeyman

I get that on the app every now and then where it won't get to the begin stage.  Usually closing the app and opening it resolves it for me.

dano999 wrote:

I just tested iPhone 4 vs. 4S -

My 4S has absolutely no data. The 4 has some. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTMOCOBhw8

Journeyman

I think there is likely more than one problem here.  The two that I can think of are network congestion, and some sort of software problem with the phone itself.  For the people who say that their speeds suck with any device, the answer would be congestion.  If your 4S is slow and your android is still fast, then I would think some sort of software problem with the 4S.  For those who are getting great speeds, well I'd chalk it up to luck I guess.

Journeyman

An earlier poster here back to update everyone on my spped. Things have gotten worse for me in San Marcos (San Diego). I just recently got 0.00Mbps DL and 0.10Mbps UL. Its impoosioble for me to stream anything at the moment.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat