Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Journeyman

Looks like Dan Hesse was right.

Waiting to pull the trigger on an iPhone till this is figured out.

“There is a misperception that our launch of the iPhone will increase  the load on Sprint’s 3G network and require us to spend more 3G  capital,”

Hesse said

.  “The reverse is true. iPhone users are expected to use significantly  less 3G than the typical user of a dual-mode 3G, 4G device. Even  adjusting for more total new customers being added to the network, we  believe they will put less load on our 3G network than they would have  if we did not carry the iPhone.”

Journeyman

beckyiphone - 1.5mbps down is about as fast as you can expect from CDMA carriers on a good day.  I don't think most people  realize that average speeds should be closer to 700kbps(that's actually Verizon's national average I'm using).

If you're seeing below .5, I would consider that to be too slow.

Journeyman

Just adding the same info as everyone else.  I want to get a Sprint iPhone 4S and was about to do it at the Apple store today, but when I saw its speed compared with the AT&T and Verizon, I just couldn't go through with it.  I'm waiting and hoping they will resolve this issue.  I'm with Verizon now and may stay with them, or go with AT&T, which is what my husband has.  We'll see what happens.  Where did the October 28 fix date come from?

Journeyman

Also, I meant to ask: Is the iPhone 4 functioning properly?  Is it true that there are no speed issues with that phone, and that only the iPhone 4S has the speed problems?  I might just get the older version if this persists.

Journeyman

hi bluecamera, the tech I spoke with today said it was just the iphone 4s and that the iphone 4 is ok. If you are ok with just the 4 then you can also save an extra $100

Jake you are switching from kbps to mbps are you saying that .7 is an ok speed?

Journeyman

becky,

.7 mbps (700 kbps), though not neck-breaking speed is pretty decent.  If I could get a consistent average of .6-.7 with Sprint's 3G  network in conjunction with my WiFi speed, given the unlimited data, I'd be a happy camper even if  AT&T and Verizon could easily match and morte than likely beat it.

I'm of the belief that it's solely a Sprint issue....or perhaps how the Apple OS is communicating with the Sprint network (in which case both parties need to get it right).  But, other than the  Sprint issue, it's an unbelievably great phone that's blazing fast on a  WiFi connection.  Sprint's network is the only downer here, albeit a fairly significant one.

Last night I spoke with another Sprint rep who seemed more forthright than  the other reps I've spoken with, readily acknowledging that there is an issue, and although Sprint hasn't gone public with the admittance,  they're very well aware of it.  He said that right now, in his opinion, and even when taking the iPhone out of the equation, he considers the Sprint  network a "2" on a scale of 1-10, with a ways to go.  With the iPhone, he called it a nightmare; that they're getting bombarded with calls. He did say he's  confident that they'll right it, but that it's anybody's guess as to  when.

I'm sticking with it, if only because it's a GREAT phone, I  have much WiFi access, and can grudgingly deal with the awful 3G speeds  for now, hopeful that it will improve.  Given Sprint's stake in it and  Apple's reputation, you would think it will have to happen sooner than  later.  The unlimited data doesn't hurt in my decision, though the price  difference between Sprint and their competitors isn't as great as we are  led to believe, unless you're a data hog, illegally tethering a  connection to your computers and laptops, and watching Hulu 24/7.

Journeyman

There is a lot of mixed information out there.  I've been using my 4s since launch and still have an EVO as well (I run 3G only on the EVO).  The 4s does not come near the EVO 3G data speeds and is typically 25% to 50% of the EVO speed.  Wifi on the 4s is sufficient, however, it is slower than any other wifi device I test next to it.  SOMETHING is going on here.  The spring manager is trying to get me a new 4S and claims I'm having antenna problems.  He further claims that I am the first and only person to come into the store claiming of this slow data problem (frustrating!...gimme a break).  While I wait for the new phone that will be the same as my old phone....I sure hope they fix the problem.  He, in writing, assured me that I could return after the 14 day period.  This is really a hardship...I'm wondering why I've been so loyal to Sprint. 13 year customer here.

Journeyman

Don't listen to him about the antenna problem.  He's making that up, or at least has nothing to base that on, whatsoever.  As for WiFi speeds, I'm experiencing the opposite - I'm getting great speeds, up to 17 mbps on my iPhone 4s and averaging 10-12 mbps, no matter the time.  The lowest I've recorded is about 8 mbps.  Hence, my belief that it is not an iPhone or hardware issue, but how Sprint's network is communicating with it.

And he said you're the only one complaining about data problems?  Further proof that you shouldn't trust him or his hogwash that it's an antenna issue.

Journeyman

I have to disagree with you.  My iPhone 4S loses Wi-Fi signal all the time in my apartment.  Even when I'm getting 2 out of 3 bars, often I will only pull 0.02Mbps on Wi-Fi.  Other times I can get up to 8Mbps with 2 bars, or a full 27Mbps with 3 bars.  My Wi-Fi is password protected so only I am using it.

There is definitely a defect in the phone's antenna system, or something wrong with the software that controls the antenna.

How do I know it's not a problem with my router?  Because my Logitech Transporter and my AppleTV receive the signal just fine.  The AppleTV is capable of up to 5 bars of signal and I always have a steady 4 bars with it and it's located about 40 feet from the router.  My old iPod Touch 2nd gen had the same problem with Wi-Fi.  It never got a good signal either.

There is no rhyme or reason to the fluctuating speeds on 3G.  I can be near a tower and get 2.3Mbps, or other times get 0.00Mbps.

I'm sticking it out because I like the iPhone, but there are most certainly problems with it.  Another issue I have is messaging.  I have had to reset my entire phone's settings 3 times now because the SEND button with text sometimes gets grayed out and I can't send either SMS or iMessage to another iPhone and the only way to fix it is to reset all the settings on the phone, not just the network settings, and it's a pain in the ass to reconfigure everything.

Journeyman

I guess most sprint customers who never had a iphone4 on another network.. didnt know the iphone4 had problems with the first ip4 antenna. .. jokling known as

ANTENNAGATE

But did those customers blame Verizon or AT&T? i dont know... but iphones are not TROUBLEFREE.

Journeyman

Recently, I have not even be able to get any data on my phone. The speedtest.net app takes forever to find a server, and still doesn't find one after about 1 minute. I'm getting really fed up about this, not like I can do much though. I live in an area that according to Sprint coverage map should have sprint 3g in their "best" area. Such a dissapointment 

Journeyman

Whoa ... something just changed for me in the past 30 minutes. My 3G speeds were at 0.2 mbs.  I'm now consistently hitting 1 - 1.5 mbs. I was about to return my phone and switch to AT&T (just for the faster network), but as long as I keep getting decent speed, I'm pretty happy. Anyone else experiencing a huge speed increase?

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat