cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, I did do the ## update thing someone posted (about four hours ago). And I was running the speed test over and over. Suddenly my data just got way better. Hope they found a fix for everyone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Most people know about antennagate.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey i got a idea .... Connect your iphone4s thru your wifi at home

ASK SIRI TO FIX THE NETWORK FOR YOU.

TELL ME WHAT SHE SAYS...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Damnit, will you people stop doing that????????  You're the reason the network is being bogged down!  USE YOUR PHONE LIKE YOU WOULD USE A PHONE.  Do you have nothing better to do than run speed tests all day long while your parents are at work paying for your iPhone??  Surely if you had a job you wouldn't be doing that.

This is why Sprint doesn't take any of you seriously.  You're not using your phone like a phone, you're bogging down the network with incessant speed tests!  A few times a day is fine, but enough is enough already.  They aren't going to patch up a network just so you can run speed tests all day.

Maybe if you guys started complaining more about not being able to use your phone as a phone is supposed to be used, and stopped mentioning your speed test results every 10 minutes they would be more inclined to listen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't be silly. I've got about two days to decide if I'm keeping Sprint or switching to AT&T, which I know has plenty of local bandwidth. I use my iPhone like the mini-computer that it is, just like I used my Palm Pre. Some of us like unlimited data. Quite frankly, the iPhone isn't that great of a phone, so I'm not sure why anyone would get it to use as just a phone. If you want a phone to be a phone, get one of the freebies. There is simply no need to get all momish on me. I'm not a kid. I've had Sprint for 11 years and I've worked for them, so maybe I know a bit more than you. 

The speed tests are VERY relevant to whether the iPhone functions, so everyone should keep running them until Sprint fixes the issue. I NEED the network speed to access things like maps and Siri and other useful tools. Thanks for your completely snobbish lecture.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I say use the phone as a phone, where is that implied that you should only use it for voice?  Maybe this is better for you:  Use the smartphone as you would use a smartphone.  That doesn't mean run speed tests all day.

I value unlimited data too which is why I haven't moved to AT&T.  My point is you should use the phone as you would use a phone to make your calls and surf the web.... not to do constant speed tests.  Are you paying a monthly fee so you can run speed tests all the time?  Or are you paying a monthly fee so you can use your smartphone as a smartphone?

I'm not being snobbish.  I'm being completely logical and reasonable.  Speed tests suck up as much bandwidth as possible and bog down the network.  They are not serving you any purpose other than to satisfy your obsessive curiosity if you perform the test over and over and over.  Sprint cares about how your phone works in real-world usage.  Your real world usage would be better if everyone stopped performing incessant speed tests.  Real-world usage is not watching a needle bounce back and forth, now is it?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

yup. fixed for me too. instantly went to 1.5 after lots of .30 - .50 readings for the past 2 weeks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got off phone with retention office... THEY OFFERED ME ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stay with Sprint...

In fact I was told they would not even credit me $1 because of internet issues...

I used the example of returning to doctors office with a bleeding arm and having the dr say "..I'm sorry your bleeding but there's nothing I can do..have a nice day"....

Looks like I'm going BACK to tmobile...

I have a feeling that these problems and SPRINTS REFUSAL to work with new (not to mention EXSISTING customers!) to retain them as customers is going to  PERMANENTLY DAMAGE Sprints reputation .......

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been with sprint for years and years. As excited as I was to finally get the iPhone 4s... I'm in Chicago, experiencing slower network speeds than I had on my palm pre.  The only response I got from sprint techs is that they will pass on my issue to the network team to solve.  I hope it happens fast or I may be returning my iphone and jumping ship to a different carrier. Fix it sprint I don't want to leave. But I will if I have to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i would of hung up.. an called back an asked for someone else

Highlighted
Patron

Oh, I so agree.  I have seen the service go from great to below negative........I have not been able to send picture messages or any type of MMS, reception is constantly at -96 (joke?)...Not a joke.   Had t-mobile for 15 years and switched to sprint because of nice pricing.  was a nice product, like I stated, for the first 6 months and then it went downhill and they have no intention of fixing it.  Now Im locked in for another 18 months then I am out of here!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Keep recording and posting those embarrassing speed test scores, folks and keep this thread alive with your legitimate complaints. The major magazines and tech sites are providing links to this thread within their stories and as long as Sprint's public stance is that there aren't any speed issues, this thread will only serve to make them look silly and disingenous and force them to come up with a quick solution.  Otherwise it will be suicide for a company that's already in trouble. Who in their right mind would sign onto a Sprint contract if this continues and they continue to read our truths?

Your move, Sprint.  Good luck and hope you solve this issue quickly, for not only you customer's benefit, but yours as well if you want to thrive as a company, and even more ominous, your survival.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat