Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

This is the speedtest screen capture I did on my brand new iPhone 4S.  As you can see, I got .016Mbps down and 0.05Mbps up.  For those of you want to say maybe the network is just slow in my area.  I did the same test with Samsung Epic Touch with 4G turned off at the same spot.  It's 3 times faster.  Is sprint crippling iPhone data rate, or there is something wrong with iPhone CDMA radio itself.

photo.PNG

2,896 REPLIES 2,896
Journeyman

From Kansas City's major daily newspaper, The Kansas City Star, also the home of Sprint's headquarters:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/25/3229252/sprint-refutes-reports-of-slow.html

Journeyman

I saw this article too. And some other websites have picked up on the speed issue. Many of these websites are reporting that an internal email was leaked and it says Sprint and Apple are working on a fix for the network issues. Tonight my data was acceptable (around 1+ mbs) for a few hours, but now its back to unacceptable (0.3 mbs). I'm giving Sprint until Saturday before I cancel and switch to AT&T (gag). At least now I know Sprint is capable of somehow making the network faster.

I don't think it was a good PR move for Sprint to to deny the network speed issues when they obviously exist. I like Sprint as a company, but unlimited data is useless without the network speed to download apps and songs; play youtube videos; and use google maps. Crossing my fingers that they get this one figured out, permanently.

Wizard

Thanks for that article. I just read it and once again, like other  reports they are just downplaying the iPhone issue and saying the  network is "slow." As we've seen here by Sprints own customer reports  it's actaully unuseable. People can't use their phones for what they are  lauded and advertised for. So I emailed the writer and told him the  very same. I suggested he may not want to take Sprint and Apple at their  word and should actually talk to customers with the problems or ones  who have returned their iPhones and have had Sprint or apple customer  service reps acknowledge there are problems beyond slowness of the  network.

Besides that, earlier today I emailed two different  Cnet Tech writers that often report on mobile phone and tech related  matters. I suggested there may be more to Sprint network iPhone problems  than is being led to believe and they may want to try and get more of a  scoop on it.

The media is one way of keeping Sprint and Apple's  feet to the fire on this. I'm just a Iong time Sprint customer and  prospective Sprint iPhone owner but I want to know what exactly is the  issue and how widespread. I suggest those of you who experienced  problems and lost money due to this may want to reach out and let your experiences be known a little more publicly. There are people in the business of reporting this stuff who just need something more concrete to go on.

These still may be only relatively smaller percentage incidents compared to the whole of new Sprint iPhone 4s users, but seems enough to be newsworthy.

Journeyman

I have posted the URL to this thread to my twitter feed 🙂

Thanks Sprint for basically spitting in my face today on phone 🙂

Sprint.. The LATER network...

Journeyman

OK, I am on my 12 days, and I just returned 2 iPhones 32gb to the stores.  I'd been with Sprint for 2 yrs and their 3g wasn't that bad, I have NO idea what's going on.  Sprint, you must fix this or the 20 billions you spend will be gone.  Sprint is great but they really need to get this network issue fix.  I switched to AT&T and got the Samsung Galaxy S II, the speed I am getting and the phone is so good, I will not think twice again.  However, everyone knows how tech change now-a-days, 2 months and you are old, so good luck Sprint, I hope one day I return to you, you will have a decent network and provide some HONEST P.R. instead of denying problems you are having.  Remember, honestly, is the BEST policy.

Journeyman

I'm not sure if it was the ##UPDATE# or if Sprint suddenly corrected something, but my data speeds got MUCH faster tonight.   Until about 11:00 pm tonight, I'd been getting data speeds from 0.1 - 0.3 Mbps (average 0.2) download.  Two days before, it was REALLY bad (because of a down 3g connection where I was averaging 0.03 Mbps).

My average since 11:00 pm has been about 0.6 Mbps, which is comparable to my wife's iPhone 4 on AT&T (0.8 Mbps). 

I hope this lasts but at this speed it is actually acceptable.  Sprint is working on the the problem.  Hold on a few more days and I think that your patience will be rewarded with acceptable service.

Journeyman

I am not seeing any change at 66224, still horrible.

Journeyman

Thanks for posting that link, I emailed the author to say thanks for publishing it, especially in Sprint's hometown.  Gave him some personal insight into the issues I have been having and asked that he follow up and not to drop the issue.  Sick of the contradicting statements from CSR and Sprint PR.  Yeah we have an issue and are working with Apple only to see, "iPhone speeds are consistent with other carriers."  BS.

Today is the end of my 14 day period... So I am stuck, but as I posted before, data is not worth an extra 2k to me over the next 24 months.  There is enough wifi in public areas to supplement the crappy 3G speeds.

Journeyman

DL Speeds are back above 1.0 Mbps again here in 32789.  So that makes 3 good days out of the past 4.

Journeyman

screenshot.png

60585 chicago area

I have had some good and bad numbers over the past couple days. This Am when I checked it was bottomed out at something like 0.2 download and  when I just checked after reading this I got 1.46 which is by far the highest number so far. I hope this keeps up

Journeyman

I ran speed today. 1st was no connection, then .55 download, then .02.   In less than 5 mins.  Lansing , MI

Journeyman

29206 Ft Jackson, SC

Recently had an HTC Evo with Sprint and had horrible service. Everytime I would call into customer service, I would get told the same thing "Sprint is having tower issues, or one was out." Sprint offered no type of compensation whatsoever, and since I am in the military I pretty much rely on my phone for evrything. I am moving in a few months that has even worse Sprint service than I have now, so I just cancelled my service, got an iPhone4s with Verizon and I have never been happier. A friend of mine got the 4s for Sprint and the comparison is night and day. I always have good connections with Verizons network, while he has to go outside just to use the phone or text.

Bottom line, if you can afford a switch, do it. Sprint is going downhill quickly, and not even the iPhone will save them.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat