Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Highlighted
Wizard

RobBass407 wrote:

Ok just got a call from one of Sprint's iPhone techs, he said an internal network fix is scheduled to be rolled out tonight at 5:30 CST that should help things a lot.  He said this fix resolved most peoples issues in Cally...  The fix code is zip code specific and my zip code is in it.  I am in Orlando.  I am a bit skeptical but that is what my ticket was updated with and it triggered an alert for him to call me and let me know.

I want to believe this... I really do.  However, the complete and total line of BS that has been streaming from Sprint corporate with regards to the iphone and 3G speeds and "trouble tickets" and other nonsense hasn't left me with even the tinest bit of hope.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's really pretty unbelievable that no one from Sprint Corporate has commented here on all of these issues being posted...  It doesn't look like many people are posting to Twitter on the issue yet... #iphone4gs & @sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

The mere fact no one else has posted anything of the sorts...yeah I am a bit skeptical but we will see around 6:30 EST.  I was hoping when I came back to the thread there would be more posts like mine...  oh well.  The guy was reading what the ticket was updated with.  If any of you are bored, call and ask for an update on your ticket just to see if there is a similar note...

Journeyman

http://twitpic.com/776o22

My speeds have gotten progressively better check that ^^

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been a Sprint user for years and have been using the Evo 4G since the launch date I Purchased the Iphone 4S yesterday and have terrible results as far as network speed. On the EVO I consistantly got 120 kB/s on 3G at least; so far with the Iphone the most I've got is 45 kB/s but most of the time is closer to 15 kB/s. This is in Odessa TX, seriously considering moving back to android and 4G.

Highlighted
Patron

Interesting... I was keeping an eye on the 6:30 EST time posted above, and although it might be coincindental, my speeds doubled right afterwards.

Since getting my iPhone 4S my house in downtown ATL, I've been getting different speeds depending on which tower im connected to, and what part of town I'm in. Either it hovers around .02Mbps, or when it connects to another local tower by my house (I use the Field Test screen to check the PN) I can get .30. These slow speeds are both despite the fact that the towers aren't even close to capacity, as per the Sprint engineer, during the several times we've tested.

Anyways... In Midtown Atlanta, I've usually always gotten .3-.6 down this past week

NOW, after 6:30 EST in Midtown ATL, I've consistently gotten between .8 Mbps -1.8 Mbps each test, with it usually being above 1.3!! (10 tests performed, spaced about 30s to 1 min apart) I REALLY hope this keeps up.

Oddly though, at that exact moment (6:30 EST) the 4G on my EVO stopped working (I'm using both until the iPhone's 3G issue is resolved)

Highlighted
Wizard

7CORENREVENGE wrote:

I have been a Sprint user for years and have been using the Evo 4G since the launch date I Purchased the Iphone 4S yesterday and have terrible results as far as network speed. On the EVO I consistantly got 120 kB/s on 3G at least; so far with the Iphone the most I've got is 45 kB/s but most of the time is closer to 15 kB/s. This is in Odessa TX, seriously considering moving back to android and 4G.

And you were happy with 120 kbps?!?  The difference between 120 and 45 is like saying that you can either walk 100 miles to work, or you can walk 100 miles with a limp... neither one is acceptible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also seeing a big jump in speed in 66224 starting around 5:30 CST.

Highlighted
Journeyman

no i wasn't happy with it but the difference between 15 kbps which is my average now and 120 is noticable and at least with android I had 4G the gave me close to 500 kbps

scf48 wrote:

7CORENREVENGE wrote:

And you were happy with 120 kbps?!?  The difference between 120 and 45 is like saying that you can either walk 100 miles to work, or you can walk 100 miles with a limp... neither one is acceptible.

Highlighted
Wizard

mehisuppose wrote:

Interesting... I was keeping an eye on the 6:30 EST time posted above, and although it might be coincindental, my speeds doubled right afterwards.

Since getting my iPhone my house in downtown ATL, I've been geeting different speeds depending on which tower im connected to, and what part of town I'm in. Either it hovers around .02Mbps, or when it connects to another local tower by my house (I use the Field Test screen to check the PN) I can get .30. These slow speeds are both despite the fact that the towers aren't even close to capacity, as per the Sprint engineer, during the several times we've tested.

Anyways... In Midtown Atlanta, I've usually always gotten .3-.6 down this past week

NOW, after 6:30 in Midtown, I've gotten between .7 Mbps -1.8 Mbps each test! (6 tests performed, spaced about 30s to 1 min apart) I REALLY hope this keeps up.

Oddly though, at that exact moment (6:30 EST) the 4G on my EVO stopped working (I'm using both until the iPhone 3G issue is resolved)

Pretty sure that's a coincidence.  First off, even if by some miracle they "fixed" the entire network, I highly doubt that it would have occured at exact moment of 6:30pm.  Secondly, I'm not seeing any difference.

I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure it's just a fluke.  I can run the test a dozen times and get between .1 and .3 down and then on the 13th time, I'm suddenly getting 1.3.  Then I can run it again for another dozen tests and each one is back to between .1 and .3.

For example, earlier I did the same test.  There was a blip when for one test I got over 1Mbps down.  Then the very next test I was back down to .05... and it stayed that way for another few tests before I gave up.  This is all on my EVO running 3G only

Highlighted
Patron

Yeah, it's weird it would happen at that time, and I wasn't quite expecting it to be so soon; I figured IF it were true, it would be rolling starting at that time in certain cities, then others later... if they did indeed do anything. Then again, it's weird that I had to reset my EVO, as my data connection totally went out at that moment too. Either way, I'm content for now. Hopefully it lasts, and it wasn't a fluke.

Actually... as I'm posting this, I'm noticing its consistently hovering around .65 or so. Sad, as for a really solid 30+ minutes I had awesome speeds, and ~110ms ping.

Guess it was some weird coincidence

Highlighted
Wizard

I think the bottom line is that we all have to come to grips with the fact that Sprint's 3G network is slow.  It's been slow for a while and getting slower... and now that there are more iphones on the system, the 3G network is even slower.  And it's going to stay slow until a complete and total overhaul is done in the next couple of years.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat