Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

houston_user1 wrote:

Suddenly my data speed is showing huge huge improvment. I am

In houston tx . I am getting download speed of 1.7 mb and upload of .7 mb!!! Its running like wifi!!!!

You are probably roaming on Verizon's network.

Journeyman

I am in South Florida, and the speeds do not seem to improve (0.01 DL, 0.2 UL). I was told by Sprint last week that they were aware of the problems and were working on it to have it resolved by Saturday October 29. Today I am still downloading at less than 0.2 mbps ( I am not happy). I will be calling them again today...can't wait to hear a new story.

Journeyman

This was a good read. If it has been posted before I appologize....

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/30/what-i-learned-about-sprints-past-and-current-data-problems-...

Journeyman

Are you doing anything to try and remedy the situation, even if only temporary?  Many people have reported, including myself, success with ##UPDATE# a few times, resetting network settings, etc.  Just this weekend, my phone was 1.0Mbps, my wife's phone right next to mine was .12Mbps, a quick update, reboot, and she had the same speeds as me.  There are things that help... <knock on wood> have had good useable speeds this whole weekend and into this morning for the most part.

Journeyman

The post explaining the call center metrics is a perfect description of my experiences.  One of my first calls to complain was met with the "tower in your area is on a building that has been condemned and a new tower hasn't been placed yet."  Pretty creative so I'll give them credit for that.  However, my reply was that it is not my problem that you can't provide a tower.  Interestingly, the next guy was surprised to hear the tower excuse and basically scoffed at it.  Also, the rep before the one that told me the tower was on a condemned building had told me that there were no service problems in my area.  I started noticing poor data service about 4 to 6 months ago (long before the iPhone could be pegged as an excuse).  I called Sprint Technical Support and was promised a follow-up call that would get me some sort of device that would attach to my home internet and boost the Sprint signal in my house.

That follow up call never occurred.  The call center post describes almost perfectly the tactics I have experienced while calling Sprint for help.  The post should be required reading in our schools (elementary through business school) because it applies to a fair number of call centers and not just Sprint's.

However, Sprint itself has a deeper network problem here that is glossed over with all of the false advertising on TV about 4G and unlimited data plans without throttling.  This Android Police article that was previously posted crystallized the picture of the situation for me from what I was beginning to put together from these posts and deeper research on the internet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/30/what-i-learned-about-sprints-past-and-current-data-problems-...

When I mentioned leaving Sprint, one rep tried to hustle unlimited data to me and I laughed and told him that he couldn't be serious in thinking that unlimited slow/non-existent data transfer would be appealing.  I said you get what you pay for and paying for data must be the answer.

Here is some perspective on the need for the unlimited data.  I do a fair amount of internet activity.  I have a Verizon iPad 2 with the 1GB data plan. I only came close to hitting the 1GB of data during the first month when I was constantly playing with the iPad 2 because it was a new toy.  If you have your WiFi turned on for home use, your 3G data usage is attenuated.  I am sure that there are heavier users of data transfer (those who stream video), but I would suspect that for the vast majority of people unlimited data is not a necessity and is more of a smoke screen to detract from the fact that the network has lousy data speeds.  As I said, the rep tried that angle with me and I laughed.

More importantly, who regulates these guys? Is it state or federal?  I used to live in Ohio and remember a Public Utilities Commission in Ohio that dealt with gas, electric, and landline telephone at the time.  I tried to work with Sprint, but after reading all of these posts and more articles on the internet about Sprint's network problems I would say there is at least some amount of not delivering what is promised to the customer going on here.

Don't give up the fight! Find a government regulatory agency or politician to present this mess to!

I would have accepted the lame iPhone excuses if I hadn't noticed some data transfer issues some months back.  Also, if Sprint would have offered some definite fix to the problem before the 14 day iPhione return ended or an extension of the return until the problem was declared fixed there could have been real score for them on the reputation front.  I suspect that there is no way they can promise anything because the network is a mess for data.  I will give them credit that I almost never have dropped calls.

Journeyman

I  agree with everyone who has posted to this discussion and here is my  proof as well. This is so frustrating to know that we have a device that  was advertised by Sprint to provide you with 3G download speeds  anywhere from 0.6MBps-1.4MBps yet I am getting this pathetic 0.1MBps  -0.2MBps all over in my area.

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/4G_coverage_popup.shtml

Now, here is the screenshot from my iphone4s doing speedtest:

I  have talked with Tech support and so far they have done some tests on  my phone, to check my area, but have not heard back from them so far.

I have the same issues with Sprint as to locking people into a contract and not providing the bandwith they claim to provide.

These  download speeds was what I was getting on TMobile on EDGE network  --lol!! I hope Apple and Sprint look into this issue seriously, else  Sprint is bound to get a major class action lawsuit coming their  way!!!!!.

Journeyman

Speeds have been rediculesly slow.  I'm seriously considering switching.  been with sprint for over 10 years.  This sucks.

Journeyman

I'm not a lawyer, but I can only hope that by the odds of this affecting a fair number of people that one of the disgruntled users will be a lawyer.  Maybe someone with a background in law could put something substantial in motion to deal with this issue.  I gave up on actual 3G speed awhile ago, but the 0.01 to 0.2 Mbps is really too far from delivering on what has been promised in advertising.

Journeyman

You're measuring the wrong thing. The performance of a data network has multiple dimensions, aggregate throughput is only one of those. Latency, jitter and availability are also important. The results that you posted indicate a much better user experiance than an AT&T connection that would have 5mbit/s throughput but with 2000ms latency.

AT&T's HSDPA+ network has much higher aggregate throughput than a CDMA network like Verizon or Sprint. This is what the speedtest application measures. This isn't what you should care about. You should care more about latency, jitter and availability. When an application loads a webpage, communicates with Siri or throws an email across your IMAP connection, the amount of data that it xmits is actually very small, measured in the 10ths or 100ths of mbytes. However, the application sends a little bit, waits for a response and then sends a little bit more, these serialized requests are why the latency is so important. A network connection with aggregate throughput of .1mbit/s and 200ms latency will load a web page vastly faster than a network connection with 10mbit throughput but 1s latency. Sprint's latency is seriously better than AT&T and you see this in the performance. Siri works on Sprint while walking around Manhattan and Brooklyn. It doesn't work on AT&T.

The reasons behind all of this are important and (at least to me) interesting. The basic answer is that AT&T's network is over capacity. However the conventional wisdom, that their network needs more spectrum, again turns out to be false. The issue with AT&T's network isn't spectral capacity, but signaling capacity, their 3.5G aka HSDPA+ technology really wasn't designed for mobile data connections. It's limited to (I might have this number slightly wrong) 64 simultaneous connections per antenna sector, so a standard cellular base station with three sector antennas can support a mere ~200 active wireless connections at a time. This is easily exceeded in an area like brooklyn or manhattan where population density is high and there are lots of smart phones that frequently exchange small amounts of data (remember it's active connections that matter).

Anyway, you'll never get a 10mbit or even 2mbit connection on Sprint, but your experience using the network, especially in NY and San Francisco might be significantly better than on AT&T.

Here are the results of work that I did last friday comparing the iPhone 4S on Sprint to the iPhone 4S on AT&T in midtown Manhattan. I saw the same results over the weekend. My wife's AT&T iPhone was faster -- when it worked -- but frequently couldn't get a connection at all.

https://plus.google.com/115450369001355623660/posts/fnUknV9YjVV

https://plus.google.com/115450369001355623660/posts/NFwhqFqhq71

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd just like to clear up some things that were stated quite incorrectly previously.   Speedtest is an excellent app for measuring your speeds on your phone for data - Sprint even uses it.

Speedtest is the best app for measuring what you need to inform Sprint and warn others about the slow network speeds on Sprint.

Load time on a web page can be significantly improved with faster throughput. Many web pages contain large flash/video files and pictures so throughput is significantly more important than ping time.

Likewise if you are sending emails or receiving emails with any pictures, audio and/or video content your upload and download throughput (depending on if you are sending or receiving) could determine if it takes 1 minute or 1 hour to send.

Once you connect to a data source, latency really doesn't matter much.   So once you start streaming a video or a song, latency isn't an issue but your throughput (up and down speeds) are what matter, not latency.

Pings are a udp broadcast vs. a TCP directional send so ping time is not always a reliable statistic as the routing isn't factored correctly. Proxies aren't always factored correctly into ping times.

Many of you probably have multiple data items occuring at all times - sending and receiving emails - perhaps set for push/continuous on possibly a work email address and personal email address(es). MMs/Instant Messages, traffic and weather updates, news and sports updates, ongoing games with friends, so throughput is significantly more important as you'll build up quite a queue of traffic waiting to be processed on your device if you have wretched speed tests with Sprint.   Sprint's slow data speeds become a bottleneck and so anything you try to do actively -e.g. browse a web page become stacked along with your other ongoing updates.

Don't worry about jitter too much unless you do a lot of VOIP on your phone.

So to be clear while latency is interesting, your throughput is best measured by upload and download speeds.

Can't playback youtube without a lot of pauses?  Can't playback pandora without frequent stops?   The imporant thing is your latency is low, not that your network apps are unusable   You could blame jitter or gremlins or you could run speedtest and say - hey - my network speeds suck! And post the proof here.

Journeyman

iPhone 4 just purchased (not 4S).  I switched to Sprint from Verizon to save money.  However, I think I am going to switch back because I am having HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE data speeds here in Austin, TX.  Full reception and it still is taking at LEAST 10 minutes to download an app.  Cant watch more than 5 seconds of any YOUTUBE video.  Cant stream PANDORA at ALL.  Half the pics I try to send via text message fail.

I downloaded speed test last night....here are the results.  Went to the Sprint Store this AM, got no response.  I can not justify having an iPhone and not be able to use the features.  Sure hope this can be fixed.....THIS SUCKS.

2.jpeg

Journeyman

Hey guys -

I had these same problems last week and called Apple, and they walked me through resetting the network settings, which worked well. My speedtest results are now up around .5 down, but all my apps are operating just fine. Pandora is smooth without hiccups, youtube is good. Siri works most of the time, fwiw.  I also downloaded another speedtest app (not speedtest.net) and it seems to give me somewhat better numbers, strangely.

This may not be verizon level performance, but having come from metropcs 4G with an android who's battery died every 3 hours, network alwyas seemed to be down, and regularly took longer than a minute to dial the number I wanted, I'm very much happier with this. And I'm paying quite a bit less than I'd pay verizon.

Once bitter, now happy...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat